• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

SimleuqiR

Chrome for Android update

http://www.androidcentral.com/googl...ed-better-bookmarking-adds-switch-mobile-view

• You can now request the desktop version of a website, in case you would rather not view the mobile version.
  • You can now add bookmarks as shortcuts on your home screen, so you can get to your favorite sites faster.
  • Choose your favorite apps to handle links opened in Chrome.
  • Have a proxy setup for Wi-Fi access? You can now use Chrome with the system proxy configured in Android settings.

Chrome for Android update

http://www.androidcentral.com/googl...ed-better-bookmarking-adds-switch-mobile-view

• You can now request the desktop version of a website, in case you would rather not view the mobile version.
  • You can now add bookmarks as shortcuts on your home screen, so you can get to your favorite sites faster.
  • Choose your favorite apps to handle links opened in Chrome.
  • Have a proxy setup for Wi-Fi access? You can now use Chrome with the system proxy configured in Android settings.

Chrome's getting really large now, over 20MB.

G17

Loving Pocket, the UI design and logo is so clearly made with ICS in mind. Great improvement on ReaditLater.

Protome

Google Currents is finally available in the UK (has been for almost a week apparently.)
Fantastic app for reading news from various sources.

SimleuqiR

A look at the latest Android apps that follow the Android 'Holo' Compatibility standard.

http://holoeverywhere.com/

Buuuurrrnnn!!!

instagram_screen.png

LOL

_Isaac

I like the look and feel of the new pocket. I recently got it on my android to replace Readability, which I found to be a bit slow and unstable. RIL used to be my go-to reading app thingy, so it's nice to be back.

EDIT: I have a question. Are there any negatives to rooting your phone?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a recommendable app to make an inventory and keep track of my movie/music/game-collections?

Blackhead

Redarse
Voice Notify (free): "Voice Notify announces status bar notification messages using Text-To-Speech (TTS), allowing you to know what a notification says without looking at the screen."

Blackhead

Redarse
So... what's the best way to do Voice Actions with a headset on Android?

I'm not looking for a Siri alternative with all that integration with calendar, reminders and notes—I just want to send messages, start phone calls, open apps and play music/podcasts without turning on the screen. There are dozens of apps in the Play store and I don't know where to start...

tino

Banned
Loving Pocket, the UI design and logo is so clearly made with ICS in mind. Great improvement on ReaditLater.

The problem is that "pocket" now no longer fetch the comments when i download an article. It acts more like Instapaper. I think the fetch is faster though.

But its still useless to me. I am moving back to Opera Mini. I can offline exactly what I see on the browser, which is what I need.

Plus "pocket" is suck a dumb name. How the hell do you google it?

Angst

So... what's the best way to do Voice Actions with a headset on Android?

I'm not looking for a Siri alternative with all that integration with calendar, reminders and notes—I just want to send messages, start phone calls, open apps and play music/podcasts without turning on the screen. There are dozens of apps in the Play store and I don't know where to start...

What you are looking for is built into Android already. Just press the microphone on the google search bar and start speaking to your phone!

When you do it for the first time you'll get the option to watch a video explaining how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L_IhqGcRM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbYVvU0Z5s

SimleuqiR

What you are looking for is built into Android already. Just press the microphone on the google search bar and start speaking to your phone!

You missed the part about "without turning on the screen".

For calls that's easy, since Bluetooth devices have a "call" button. Not sure about anything else working through a headset while the screen is off.

Angst

You missed the part about "without turning on the screen".

For calls that's easy, since Bluetooth devices have a "call" button. Not sure about anything else working through a headset while the screen is off.

Yeah, I missed that part. I'll try pressing the call button now and do a search instead of a call. I'll probably end up calling my ex or something. :p

gcubed

if you press the call button it activates voice commands I believe. You hear a beep, then you can talk to it. Thats how it worked on my old Jawbone on my N1

Blackhead

Redarse
Whoa, actual responses. Thanks a lot. :)

I should have mentioned these other factors earlier that have to be taken into consideration:
  1. Voice dialing/voice actions via bluetooth isn't included in Honeycomb so I can't use the default Google voice actions feature as it is.
  2. The Google voice action doesn't give voice feedback and confirmation. It either immediately initiates the action with a beep (e.g. calling, navigation) or requires a visual button press (e.g. messaging, email) which are no good to me if the device is in my pocket.

The bluetooth works on Gingerbread and ICS but the voice feedback and confirmation hasn't been addressed by Google yet as far as I can tell from my limited knowledge of the Android scene.

SimleuqiR

Whoa, actual responses. Thanks a lot. :)

I should have mentioned these other factors earlier that have to be taken into consideration:
  1. Voice dialing/voice actions via bluetooth isn't included in Honeycomb so I can't use the default Google voice actions feature as it is.
  2. The Google voice action doesn't give voice feedback and confirmation. It either immediately initiates the action with a beep (e.g. calling, navigation) or requires a visual button press (e.g. messaging, email) which are no good to me if the device is in my pocket.

The bluetooth works on Gingerbread and ICS but the voice feedback and confirmation hasn't been addressed by Google yet as far as I can tell from my limited knowledge of the Android scene.

Wow, wow! What you mean "actual responses"? Coco is not around - that's all you are going to get.

What has Honeycomb installed? Is a Samsung Tab tablet? Maybe a custom ICS rom might help, but this is a very long ways about fixing some of your problems.

As for everything else, I'm hoping Google spruces up the voice command interface with Jelly Bean. Hoping that it hooks to every part of the OS.

Blackhead

Redarse
Wow, wow! What you mean "actual responses"? Coco is not around - that's all you are going to get.

What has Honeycomb installed? Is a Samsung Tab tablet? Maybe a custom ICS rom might help, but this is a very long ways about fixing some of your problems.

As for everything else, I'm hoping Google spruces up the voice command interface with Jelly Bean. Hoping that it hooks to every part of the OS.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. I haven't seen a custom ICS rom for it yet but then again I don't want to go through all that trouble. I've rooted it and that's been enough to keep me happy so far.

Yeah Google surely has to have do something about voice commands/search in Jelly Bean especially after getting rid of the dedicated search button in ICS. I wouldn't be surprised to see something nice that trumps Siri. That said, there are many pretenders right now in the Play Store that might just be good enough for my needs. I'll have to sort through them sometime. I'm sure there are a couple articles on Android/Tech sites reviewing the alternatives after the Siri reveal. Does anyone here use vlingo?

moojito

Not being able to move sopcast to the sd card makes me sad. I only have 20mb internal storage left :<
I need to think about rooting my liquid metal.

SimleuqiR

500px

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fivehundredpx.viewer

Kq5R8nXriw74HjSFk0Lec18_mO1XrzQnn66_or0i0L88VpHTO5qvIyXbJpgO6cL4hTSE

The official Android app for 500px is here! Enjoy the world's best photos.
Discover exhilarating landscapes, cutest moments of wildlife, striking portraits and more.
Use your Android tablet as a beautiful photo frame to show amazing photos with a slideshow.
With the 500px account you can elegantly showcase your photos, create slideshows, browse your friends' photos and your favourites.

G17

What exactly is the difference between the free and paid Funimation app? Do you get more shows to watch? Was wondering why the paid version was 9 dollars.

Top Bottom