• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Saw this on Android Police. It looks like Amazon was giving away a bunch of Productivity apps today, including Documents To Go, SplashTop (HD), PrintShare, WiFi File Explorer, and more. I think that a little less than 2 hours are left in the promotion.
EDIT: Deal's over.

Gaaraz

Interesting about Camera Zoom, thank you!

And yeah the Neat Calendar widget is ace, shame about the actual app itself though. Also it isn't very nice on battery, considering it mostly just sits there.

I've added a number of new calculators to the finance wizard app. Now over 100 :)

Annuity - Future Value
Annuity - Payment (FV)
Annuity Due - Future Value
Annuity Due Payment (FV)
Average Collection Period
Bond Equivalent Yield
Capital Gains Yield
Compound Interest
Continuous Compounding
Current Ratio
Days in Inventory
Debt Ratio
Debt to Equity Ratio (D/E)
Debt to Income Ratio
Dividend Payout Ratio
Dividend Yield (Stock)
Discount Calculator
Dividends Per Share
Doubling Time
Doubling Time - Continuous Compounding
Earnings Per Share
Equity Multiplier
Estimated Earnings
Future Value
Future Value Continuous Compounding
Future Value Factor
Growing Annuity - Future Value
Growing Annuity Payment - PV
Growing Annuity - Present Value
Growing Perpetuity - Present Value
Interest Coverage Ratio
Inventory Turnover Ratio
Loan - Balloon Balance
Loan - Payment
Loan - Remaining Balance
Loan to Deposit Ratio
Loan to Value Ratio
Mortgage Calculator
Net Asset Value
Net Profit Margin
Net Working Capital
Payback Period
Perpetuity
Preferred Stock
Present Value
Present Value - Continuous Compounding
Price to Book Value
Price Earnings Ratio
Price to Sales Ratio
Quick Ratio
Rate Of Inflation
Receivables Turnover Ratio
Retention Ratio
Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Investment (ROI)
Risk Premium
Rule of 72
Sales Tax
Simple Interest
Stock - PV with Constant Growth
Tax Equivalent Yield
Total Stock Return
Tip Calculator
Zero Coupon Bond Value
Zero Coupon Bond Yield
Percent calculator
Percent increase
Percent decrease
Percent change
Percentage
Gross margin
Annual Percentage Yield (APY)
Contribution margin
Diluted Earnings Per Share
Equivalent Annual Annuity
Free Cash Flow to Equity (FCFE)
Free Cash Flow to Firm (FCFF)
Real Rate of Return
Stock - PV with Zero Growth
Certificate of Deposit
Total Inventory Cost
Economic Order Quantity (EOQ)
Effective Annual Rate
Annual Salary to Hourly Wage
Hourly Wage to Salary
Break-Even Point
Compound annual growth rate
Leverage ratio
Market value added
Market to book ratio
Operating Profit Margin
External Funding Needed (EFN)
Operating Cycle
Annuity - FV w/ Continuous Compounding
Asset to Sales Ratio
Asset Turnover Ratio
Number of Periods PV & FV
Present Value Factor
Cash Ratio
Inventory Period
Number of payments
Annuity - Present value
Annuity - payment (PV)
Annuity - Payment Factor (PV)
Annuity Due Payment (PV)
Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM)
Net Present Value
Weighted Average Cost Of Capital (WACC)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuZmluYW5jZXdpemFyZCJd

TommyT

Not really an app question, but dug around and wasn't about to find anything on it:

After doing a ##72786# update on my phone to reset to my new number, now I'm getting text from 8737 which have a bunch of gibberish. Lots of people claiming it's from 3rd party apps, specific messenger apps, no voicemail app, all kinds of things, try blocking it (doesn't work). Anyone had this and actually gotten it to go away?

kehs

Banned
After moving from Astrid to Any.Do, I'm liking it so far.

Finally got used to the aesthetics, much better than Astrid. I'm really enjoying the "Plan your day" function. I think Astrid had it, but I never bothered with it.

Couple of things that still bug me. I wish the list would sort events by date instead of alphabetic order though, as well as listing the dates when the even is condensed. Would like integration with Agenda Widget. And ability to use multiple google accounts.

scently

What's the best reading app on Android for tablets? I am considering getting the new Nexus 7 and I would like a good reading app, preferably one that is similar to the iBook app on iPad.

What's the best reading app on Android for tablets? I am considering getting the new Nexus 7 and I would like a good reading app, preferably one that is similar to the iBook app on iPad.

I like Moon+ Reader personally. It's frequently updated as well. I don't know how similar it is to the iBook app though...

Has anyone managed to get password-protected podcasts working on Pocket Casts using the RSS URL? I'm trying to the the Untitled Giant Bomb Movie Podcast added, but when I paste the URL into the search window, it gives me back an error message.

Gravity Screen - On / Off

Using your phone often? Tired of the On-Off switching? This app turns automatically your screen off when you put your phone into your pocket or onto a table and turn the screen on when you take it out or up. No need to touch any button and you are ready to go.

MAIN FEATURES:
- Pocket Sensor: Recognizes if your phone is in your pocket. By turning your phone below the angle you set, it'll prepare to turn the screen off.
- Table Sensor: Detects your phone is lying on a table and turns the screen off.
- Turn Screen On by Motion: If the screen is off and it's facing up the device can be woken up by any movements, for example lift up by hand.
- Keep Screen On by Motion: It's a Screebl like feature but it's relying on the small movements you are doing by your hand while holding the phone. If small motions are detected while the screen is facing up the feature keeps the screen on because it can be suspected that the phone is held and probably you are reading something long. If the phone is steady the normal screen timeout will apply in any position you leave your device.
- Tasker, Llama, Locale supported by plug-in.

Widgetlocker got a cool update. You can now swipe from the left on the lockscreen to access apps like messaging, chrome and Gmail, and swipe from the right to access the camera. Works well too.

Mission

For the past 2 years my primary Android device has been my HTC Evo 3D. The Sense UI puts a list of the running apps along the top of the notification area.

I've just bought a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and its running TouchWiz, which I don't hate as much as people complain about, but I really miss this feature.

I know I can get to that by holding the home button but its just not as fast as dragging down the notification and switching apps, and its really un-intuitive when I'm holding it in landscape.

Is there an add-on that will put the currently running apps into the notification area?

I use Pocket Cast for my podcasts and I really love how it syncs between my phone and tablet.

I noticed that there's an iOS version of Pocket Cast and I was wondering if it supports syncing between Android and iOS (syncing an android phone with an iPad for example). I think I read a few months ago that it might not be able to, but that they were looking into adding it. Does anyone know if they have added that support?

I currently have an Nexus 10 as my tablet, but if I were to switch to an iPad or iPad Mini it would be cool to keep the syncing ability.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I use Pocket Cast for my podcasts and I really love how it syncs between my phone and tablet.

I noticed that there's an iOS version of Pocket Cast and I was wondering if it supports syncing between Android and iOS (syncing an android phone with an iPad for example). I think I read a few months ago that it might not be able to, but that they were looking into adding it. Does anyone know if they have added that support?

I currently have an Nexus 10 as my tablet, but if I were to switch to an iPad or iPad Mini it would be cool to keep the syncing ability.

Not yet.

Blackhead

Redarse
The Transit App now on Android. Free**. Decent Holo Design (Android UI works better than the iOS version actually).

**I have no idea how they are making money. I thought they went free on iOS in an attempt to gain marketshare and position themselves as an acquisition target but Apple went for HopStop so that door seems closed...

Threi

notag
I'm trying out next browser and i have to say I'm pretty impressed. Its made by the GO Dev team and feels like a more polished, less buggy dolphin. Excellent UI as well.

Never thought i'd be using a GO app in 2013 lol

I'm trying out next browser and i have to say I'm pretty impressed. Its made by the GO Dev team and feels like a more polished, less buggy dolphin. Excellent UI as well.

Never thought i'd be using a GO app in 2013 lol

Just tried it. It's fast as hell but scrolling is a liiiiitle laggy compared to stock.

reKon

Banned
I don't know how much I like firefox broswer, but I need an alternate browser to the stock Android one..

Chrome is smooth for me but it takes up too much battery life

kehs

Banned
I don't know how much I like firefox broswer, but I need an alternate browser to the stock Android one..

Chrome is smooth for me but it takes up too much battery life

If you're not on 4.3 I recommend Opera.

But 4.3 totally fucked opera, not all it does is crash.

My Galaxy S2 stock browser had it where the text would warp around the screen when I would double tap to zoom in, making it very easy to read articles and the like. Unless I'm dumb, the stock S4 browser does not. Can anyone recommend a good browser that does?

Cross posting, as I originally threw this into the wrong Android thread:

I've been playing with the Aviate Alpha as my new default Launcher and I have to say, it's absolutely amazing.

Firstly, it really just "works". Everywhere I go, it slightly reconfigures itself to display appropriate contextual information. Especially handy is the time of day / location app grouping, so it throws navigation and news apps in my face in the morning, and music and productivity apps at me when it figures out I'm at work.

It also looks really gorgeous and actually offers something new without apparently falling into the "shameless ripoff of other Phone OS" category of launchers.

aviate-launher.jpg

nexusae0_Screenshot_2013-07-28-20-46-49.png

e320nexusae0_Screenshot_2013-07-29-21-43-49_thumb.png

I've made a new app if anyone wants to test:

Wvj5LKi6w4QY8TdyV3jFMY1BcY1LWdSMohI75rTStx1ozGk-t0EkW1SPPQhCbiBt6VU=h900-rw

Convert Everything unit converter includes usage/time tracking, history, favorites and as of now the following conversions:

Acceleration - Angular
Acceleration - Linear
Angles
Specific Heat Capacity
Heat Capacity
Illumination
Illumination - Luminous Intensity
Digital Image Resolution
Temperature
Torque
Length/Distance
Planetary Weight
Planetary Age
Roman Numerals
Currency
Astronomical
Sound
Volume Charge Density
Typography
Temperature Interval
Latent Heat
HVAC Efficiency
Chemical - Henry''s Law
Calorific Value
Specific Volume
Resistivity
Resistance
Thermal Expansion
Magnetomotive Force
Permeability
Surface Charge Density
Surface Current Density
Conductivity
Mass/Weight
Magnetic Field Strength
Thermal Resistivity
Thermal Conductivity
Surface Tension
Area
Force
Viscosity - Dynamic
Viscosity - Kinematic
Volume
Concentration - Liquid Solution
Concentration - Molar
Data Storage
Capacitance
Charge
Conductance
Current
Data Transfer
Density
Electric Field
Energy
Entropy
Volume - Dry
Volume - Lumber
Velocity - Angular
Velocity
Radiation - Exposure
Time
Radiation - Radioactivity
Radiation - Dose Equivalent
Radiation - Absorbed Dose Rate
Radiation - Absorbed Dose
Flow
Flow - Mass
Flow - Molar
Heat Flux Density
Heat Transfer Coefficient
Inductance
Linear Charge Density
Linear Current Density
Luminance
Magnetic Flux
Magnetic Flux Density
Mass Flux Density
Moment of Inertia
Pressure
Power

Lite version (ad supported): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.converteverything
Pro version (no ads): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.converteverythingpro

Angst

Cross posting, as I originally threw this into the wrong Android thread:

I've been playing with the Aviate Alpha as my new default Launcher and I have to say, it's absolutely amazing.

Firstly, it really just "works". Everywhere I go, it slightly reconfigures itself to display appropriate contextual information. Especially handy is the time of day / location app grouping, so it throws navigation and news apps in my face in the morning, and music and productivity apps at me when it figures out I'm at work.

It also looks really gorgeous and actually offers something new without apparently falling into the "shameless ripoff of other Phone OS" category of launchers.

Invite only? :/

DagsJT

Thought the Aviate launcher would show on an Google XDA search but nothing yet...

Edit: Found it on XDA. It's really nice, very swish-looking and functional. I like.

Floating YouTube Popup Video

Tired of being interrupted by text messages, emails or other alerts on your device while you're watching YouTube videos? Well, Floating YouTube Popup Experience is the app for you! Similar to Samsung’s MultiView MultiWindow feature, this app allows continual play of a YouTube video (as a re-sizeable pop-up style window anywhere on your screen) while you’re texting, browsing the net, emailing, using other apps, or even checking maps. Best of all, the audio and volume control from your YouTube video will remain even if the screen of your device is off.

TxdoHawk

Weird question.

I jack my Android phone into the AUX input of my car stereo (2008 Nissan Altima).

- Potentially, could pushing the buttons on my stereo send signals through the cable, much like a headphone remote does?

- Is there an Android program that can detect these signals (assuming they exist) and essentially bind them to inputs Android recognizes, like Next/Previous Track?

Virgil Dobjanschi said:
#googleplusupdate

1. Account and page switching is a lot easier
2. Google Apps for Business features are now fully supported
3. Google Drive photos & videos are now accessible from Google+
4. Location sharing includes more controls
5. Messenger is going away, Hangouts is sticking around
full details

rolling out starting now!

Top Bottom