• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

AndyD

aka andydumi
What phone do you have? The built-in Mail app for my Galaxy handles our work Exchange email just fine. Can't really say I miss anything for day to day work use.

My GF and I recently got a Galaxy S4 each, and today we each received an email with a code for £25 of Play Store credit.

Anyone got any recommendations for what we can download?

I try and keep music downloads to stuff that's hard to find/expensive or download only.

We're not interested in games as we both have DS's and 3DS XL's.

Not sure about books (don't really want to have to read them on my phone, and through a website could be awkward) or apps though. Don't really know what I'd use that I don't already have for free.

So indecisive. lol.

3phemeral

My GF and I recently got a Galaxy S4 each, and today we each received an email with a code for £25 of Play Store credit.

I try and keep music downloads to stuff that's hard to find/expensive or download only.

Not sure about books (don't really want to have to read them on my phone, and through a website could be awkward) or apps though. Don't really know what I'd use that I don't already have for free.

So indecisive. lol.
That pretty much narrows it down to nothing. In this case, it's more of a usage-based scenario. I wouldn't buy anything just because people recommend it, especially if they're apps and not books/games/music. I suggest that you think about what you could possibly use your phone that might make your life easier, whether it's a better calendar, email client, weather program, finance calculator, etc. etc.

That said, I recommend SwiftKey as just the bare minimum requirement when i comes to efficiency + texting, but even Google Keyboard is pretty good, aside from its word-suggestion algorithm.

So indecisive. lol.

What I found is that when I first got my phone, there were tons of paid apps that I felt were 'essential', but now they just sit in my All Apps tab uninstalled. The vast, vast majority of apps that are truly useful day-to-day have been free ones. So if I were you, I'd just sit on those gift cards as long as possible. That said, the paid apps I have installed are:

Swiftkey
ADW Launcher Ex (almost certainly not going to be useful for anything past Gingerbread)
1Weather
Timer
Plex
Gstrings
Solid Explorer
Tasks
Timer

…and a couple games that I won't bother listing.

eznark

Banned
Pocket Castsis amazing. Coming from years with the piece of shit Downcast and a weekend with doggcatcher, I would've paid $20 for pocket casts.

What I found is that when I first got my phone, there were tons of paid apps that I felt were 'essential', but now they just sit in my All Apps tab uninstalled.

That's my problem exactly. I totally see myself getting a load of stuff thinking they'd be useful, but will only end up using them once or twice. That's why I asked, because I figured the people posting in this thread would have a good bead on stuff that actually IS really useful and get used on a constant basis.

I had swiftkey preinstalled on my last phone (Galaxy Ace... hence the upgrade) but didn't really get on with it. Ended up just going back to the default keyboard.

As for email and calendar, I find the default Google apps more than sufficient.

I was kinda hoping there may be some suggestions for stuff that I frankly wouldn't even know would be useful. Currently I read emails, do the odd text or phonecall, and listen to a bit of music.

Because my last phone had such woeful storage I didn't even bother looking at apps because even if I could run them, I didn't have enough space to keep them. Stuff like Facebook would wipe out what little storage I had.

Now I have some space and enough grunt to run pretty much anything available, I'm at a somewhat overwhelmed and spoilt for choice.

Really don't want to just sit on this voucher and have my phone going to waste. It's a pickle indeed!

Groof

people really love Pocket Casts, but there are free options

Volksempfänger (alpha)

Hipstacast

AntennaPod

and if you have a Samsung, Kiescast

I used to use AntennaPod, and would recommend it in a heartbeat if someone just wants something free and that works. But I switched to Pocket Casts (which is absolutely amazing) because of the simple fact that AntennaPod doesn't actually delete downloaded episodes after they're played, even though the setting is turned on.

Can someone recommend a quick, no-frills, Notepad type app?

My phone came with S Memo and while it has tons of features, its a little too slow for me. I'm looking for something similar (see "boring") like the iOS notes app.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Anyone here familiar with Freenote? I want to know if it has two features I might not be seeing.

Also, anyone else recommend some handwriting notes apps?

Goldrush

Please don't tell me that Google removed the ability to install and uninstall apps from your phone from the desktop. Years of Android means that my app list is pretty tedious to go through on the phone. The current desktop My App section is just a listing with big cards. Separating the list by what is and is not install on each device was extremely helpful.

Please don't tell me that Google removed the ability to install and uninstall apps from your phone from the desktop. Years of Android means that my app list is pretty tedious to go through on the phone. The current desktop My App section is just a listing with big cards. Separating the list by what is and is not install on each device was extremely helpful.

Yup, the site went from being a pretty awesome administration panel to being somehow LESS useful than the app for this. There's nearly no reason to use the site at all now.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ugh I wish I could get the writing functionality of Freenote in Lecture Notes so I could create Notebooks. :\

Edit: Getting closer, but not quite there.

Swag

Is there an app that allows Group Messaging to work? Go SMS sucks for this, just sends individual messages to the users, but I want it to work like it does on the iPhone, where the users know that they're in a group message.

yyzjohn

Banned
Is there an app that allows Group Messaging to work? Go SMS sucks for this, just sends individual messages to the users, but I want it to work like it does on the iPhone, where the users know that they're in a group message.

Isn't iPhone group messaging imessage only? Would SMS users know they're in a group chat on iPhone?

sangreal

Isn't iPhone group messaging imessage only? Would SMS users know they're in a group chat on iPhone?

no, but it is a client issue. iirc from my old android phone, you can see that it is a group message but only if you go to something in the menu that shows you the list of recipients -- otherwise it just looks like a text-only MMS. Depends on what UI you're running, obviously. On iPhone, messages in a Group MMS conversation are all grouped together as a new "contact" just like with Group iMessage conversations

I don't think changing the app you use to send messages will have any impact, since it is a display issue on the other end

Swag

I don't think changing the app you use to send messages will have any impact, since it is a display issue on the other end
The problem I experienced just now. I sent a group message to 9 of my friends, I was hoping that the replies from them would be grouped in the conversation I started, instead I received the replies in each individual's conversations. In iMessage the replies would be grouped in the group conversation I started, instead of receiving them as replies in A B C person's conversation.

Using GoSMS if that helps, maybe I just don't have something ticked.

Ocho

The problem I experienced just now. I sent a group message to 9 of my friends, I was hoping that the replies from them would be grouped in the conversation I started, instead I received the replies in each individual's conversations. In iMessage the replies would be grouped in the group conversation I started, instead of receiving them as replies in A B C person's conversation.

Using GoSMS if that helps, maybe I just don't have something ticked.

Use a true messaging service, like Whatsapp, GroupMe, kik, etc. iMessage is this, only it works so 'magically' you don't even notice you are not really sending sms texts. Yes, I know this is not what you want, but I think there's no solution for what you want.

Asked this in the HTC one thread, but does anybody have issues with Words With Friends being really slow and unresponsive? All in all, the HTC one works great, but this app doesn't even run a tenth as smoothly as it did on iOS with this phone.

Swag

Use a true messaging service, like Whatsapp, GroupMe, kik, etc. iMessage is this, only it works so 'magically' you don't even notice you are not really sending sms texts. Yes, I know this is not what you want, but I think there's no solution for what you want.
I do use Whatsapp, just needed a solution for those users that don't use it. Thanks for the input anyway guys.

Anyone know why or is there a discussion somewhere about Samsung devices seemingly unable to play video 90% of the time for Snapchat? I've checked around and if they have official forums, I can't find them.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, I have a friend who INSISTS that she used Facetime on her iPhone with a friend who has an Android. Is there some way that this is possible? I can't imagine Apple doing that. Clearly, it sounds like she's mistaken but lord knows I've been wrong before!

yyzjohn

Banned
Hey guys, I have a friend who INSISTS that she used Facetime on her iPhone with a friend who has an Android. Is there some way that this is possible? I can't imagine Apple doing that. Clearly, it sounds like she's mistaken but lord knows I've been wrong before!

You can video chat with hangouts or something else but its not facetime to android.

bob page

Skype or Hangouts. I find both to be superior to Face time anyway.

Top Bottom