• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Hammers the battery though, it seems. Installed it last night, barely used my phone since coming off charge this morning and down to 20% already

Might be just you. I've used it this morning asking with browsing the web, and I'm still at 94%. Are you using the lock screen/drawer feature?

reKon

Banned
Wow the yahoo weather app looks great and the widget blends perfectly into the theme I have going on with my wallpaper and icons.

Does anyone know of any apps or services that give away free apps every day besides AppGratis and Amazon? I could use all the free shit I can get.

Also, does the Google Play Store still have sales with apps for 10 cents or was that just a one time thing?

Ocho

Does anyone know of any apps or services that give away free apps every day besides AppGratis and Amazon? I could use all the free shit I can get.

Also, does the Google Play Store still have sales with apps for 10 cents or was that just a one time thing?

There's been several. Been a while though.

vdlow

I think they will do another extra-cheap sale when they hit the next x0 million apps sold, or when Android hit 1 billion activated devices.

Salsa

Instagram just went nuts on me, weirdly

home feed started flickering like crazy and now it wont load and it just says "search for friends" as if I didnt have any

account is fine since it works on web and whatnot

tried login out/in, reinstalling app, nothing works

ideas?

Does the Yahoo weather app update the temperature constantly? I had the stock weather app refreshing the weather every hour. I don't need it the new one constantly retrieving weather info, but I couldn't find an option to change it.

Seems like this minuum keyboard is being pirated upthe ass. All the latest reviews on the appstore state it's from an older version, and people are asking for features that are present in the latest build.

It's a shame, but $4 is steep for a keyboard.

etrain911

What are some good note-taking apps for a college student? I plan on taking my nexus 7 with me to classes rather than my laptop because the nexus 7 is much lighter and easier to type on.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For such an unusual keyboard they really need a trial version of some sort. I'm not gonna spend $4 just to find out that I can't use the thing.

I like it but I'm too used to swiping. $4 isn't that expensive for a keyboard. Anyone try it on a tablet?

Dazzla

What are some good note-taking apps for a college student? I plan on taking my nexus 7 with me to classes rather than my laptop because the nexus 7 is much lighter and easier to type on.
I'll second this request. I used noteshelf on my iPad mini but now I'm getting a nexus 7. I tried a few apps on my note 2 but none were great.

Papyrus, 7notes stick out as ok but not that good.

Edit, I thought you meant hand writing apps. Other note apps like Evernote are great for organizing notes.

Alpende

I want to try Minimuum but 3 euros for a keyboard is a but much if I can't try it out. They should do a x day trial or something.

etrain911

I'll second this request. I used noteshelf on my iPad mini but now I'm getting a nexus 7. I tried a few apps on my note 2 but none were great.

Papyrus, 7notes stick out as ok but not that good.

Edit, I thought you meant hand writing apps. Other note apps like Evernote are great for organizing notes.

I meant both, honestly. Sometimes it's nice to be able to draw out what the teacher is putting on the board. I found Evernote to be geared more towards "To-do lists" than note-taking. I think a serious word-processor might be more by speed. I dunno. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's curious though.

I meant both, honestly. Sometimes it's nice to be able to draw out what the teacher is putting on the board. I found Evernote to be geared more towards "To-do lists" than note-taking. I think a serious word-processor might be more by speed. I dunno. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's curious though.

You may want to take a second look at Evernote, because Evernote is far closer to a word processor than a to-do list app. In fact, to-do lists are kind of a weak point for Evernote.

sun-drop

dash clock, yahoo's weather app, and timely have almost perfected my S4

seriously though ... timley has to be my front running for app of the year ... the tight intergration to dash clock, and the s4's daydream mode ... and cloud alarm sync ...freaking transformed my mornings.

waking up to the same alarm going off on my tab and cell, and beig able to dismiss both with a tap on either device .... surround alarms for the win

dash clock, yahoo's weather app, and timely have almost perfected my S4

seriously though ... timley has to be my front running for app of the year ... the tight intergration to dash clock, and the s4's daydream mode ... and cloud alarm sync ...freaking transformed my mornings.

waking up to the same alarm going off on my tab and cell, and beig able to dismiss both with a tap on either device .... surround alarms for the win

How are you optimizing Dash Clock?

I prefer NiLS because I can see what each notification is and a preview.

So I caved and bought Minuum keyboard. Holy shit it actually works. All I changed was adding a spacebar. Only spent about 10 minutes with it, but the word prediction has been spot on so far.

brian!

hey i just got my first smartphone, what is a good app for cleaning up jank, akin to getting a new windows install and getting rid of all the nonsense that comes with it

Angst

hey i just got my first smartphone, what is a good app for cleaning up jank, akin to getting a new windows install and getting rid of all the nonsense that comes with it

With "jank" I presume you mean the preinstalled apps?

Depends, you probably can't uninstall them without rooting and installing a custom ROM (which will wipe your phone). If you don't want to go down that route you can try disabling the apps from manage my apps.

Yasawas

Nice one, thanks. Think I'll take a chance on it.

Hopefully they'll add some others soon enough, I see some of the highest ranked requests on their forum is for French and Spanish support and I'd use the former from time to time.

Pete Rock

Wanted to thank you guys for mentioning Power Amp multiple times, it is amazing and the perfect replacement app.

On top of being bloated and awfully slow to respond while lagging the entire device, Google Play features a ridiculous cache bug where it randomly decides that I no longer have mp3 media on my SD card until I mount the drive and move the files to a different location and reboot the entire phone. Straight garbage.

My favorite thing about Power Amp is that you can simply uncheck folders from the Library at any given time, so if you are tired of the comedy albums or audio books or whatever coming up in the music rotation, you don't have to make a new special playlist or some random nonsense just to omit them from a "full" shuffle.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So what's the best Sports app these days? There's 4 on the Playboard list and I was wondering if there are any new or better alternatives.

Arkanius

Wanted to thank you guys for mentioning Power Amp multiple times, it is amazing and the perfect replacement app.

On top of being bloated and awfully slow to respond while lagging the entire device, Google Play features a ridiculous cache bug where it randomly decides that I no longer have mp3 media on my SD card until I mount the drive and move the files to a different location and reboot the entire phone. Straight garbage.

My favorite thing about Power Amp is that you can simply uncheck folders from the Library at any given time, so if you are tired of the comedy albums or audio books or whatever coming up in the music rotation, you don't have to make a new special playlist or some random nonsense just to omit them from a "full" shuffle.

PowerAmp is the best Music app in terms of features. But damn I really like the look of Google Play music, and the artwork it gets for albums.
Another runner up is Shuttle+, it looks good and is lightweight

suplex

Is there any way to have Google play music fit the album artwork to the screen, rather than the weird zoom and scroll thing it does?

AndyD

aka andydumi
What do you need it to do?

There are no real good OWA apps to bypass the exchange server permission requirements if that's what you are looking for.

Top Bottom