• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Hey guys, I have a friend who INSISTS that she used Facetime on her iPhone with a friend who has an Android. Is there some way that this is possible? I can't imagine Apple doing that. Clearly, it sounds like she's mistaken but lord knows I've been wrong before!
probably Fring or Tango or Oovoo or Skype or Hangouts

AndyD

aka andydumi
The problem I experienced just now. I sent a group message to 9 of my friends, I was hoping that the replies from them would be grouped in the conversation I started, instead I received the replies in each individual's conversations. In iMessage the replies would be grouped in the group conversation I started, instead of receiving them as replies in A B C person's conversation.

Using GoSMS if that helps, maybe I just don't have something ticked.

It also depends on how they reply. If they reply just to you, some phones will separate that as a new thread. If they reply to all, then it will be in the original thread.

The Galaxy S3 handles it pretty well with its stock messaging, and SMS Go works similarly.

VoxPop

Don't worry guys, I'm in the process of creating a minimal chat app with seamless integration of other chat services (that are available to use). Everything else on Android right now is trash imo.

mackattk

Ok, so my wife got a pretty threatening voicemail on her phone. Short of putting the phone in close proximity to a mic on a pc, is there an app that will convert it into a mp3 file? She is on verizon, and doesn't subscribe to visual voicemail. First I was going to suggest her forwarding the voicemail to my google voice number, and have a copy of it through the PC that way, but Verizon only supports forwarding voicemail messages to other Verizon customers.

Ok, so my wife got a pretty threatening voicemail on her phone. Short of putting the phone in close proximity to a mic on a pc, is there an app that will convert it into a mp3 file? She is on verizon, and doesn't subscribe to visual voicemail. First I was going to suggest her forwarding the voicemail to my google voice number, and have a copy of it through the PC that way, but Verizon only supports forwarding voicemail messages to other Verizon customers.

there's no option to share/export the voicemail in the verizon voicemail app?

edit: oh, just noticed that you don't have visual voicemail... what about an app that records phonecalls?

OceanBlue

Does it have a 3.5mm audio headphones port? You can always run an aux cable from the headphones port to the input of your computer. I've never tried it but I've heard that's what people do to record audio from their 3DS.

3phemeral

Looks like MyColorScreen will be releasing their Beta soon:

Hello there,
Thanks again for your interest in Themer! We wanted to let you know that we'll be starting our public beta rollout on October 1. We'll start with our earliest email sign ups and we'll try to get the app to everyone on the list within a few weeks. You'll receive an email with more details when it's ready for you.

We've added some more previews of new themes on ThemerApp.com. All of these themes will be available to you when you get Themer Beta. We know it's no fun waiting, but sit tight and we'll do our best to get it to you as soon as we can!

The Themer by MyColorScreen Team

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Got that email, too. I'm pretty excited!

Hey, I see "Moves" released today. It's an activity tracking app. We have any beta testers around? I gonna give it a shot but I'd love gaffer opinions!

Awesome UI!

yogloo

Moves is great. But I didn't try the android one because I don't want to kill my battery life considering it is my main phone.

Akito

Hey guys, I'm searching for an app which lets me view .psd files, no need for all the editing jazz. I've tried some that Google suggested to me but they either didn't work or were a hassle to use (like you have upload to Google Drive first and stuff).

bob page

Moves is great. But I didn't try the android one because I don't want to kill my battery life considering it is my main phone.

Had a pretty big effect on my S3's battery life- it seemed to check GPS pretty much every time I checked my phone. By the end of the day, the GPS service was the result of 30% of my battery drain. Time to uninstall, which is a shame, because the app works pretty well compared to its competition.

Horseticuffs

Had a pretty big effect on my S3's battery life- it seemed to check GPS pretty much every time I checked my phone. By the end of the day, the GPS service was the result of 30% of my battery drain. Time to uninstall, which is a shame, because the app works pretty well compared to its competition.
I came to the same conclusion. I'm just going to keep Runtastic Pro for my walks /jogs. More data, less drain.

yogloo

I used it on my iPhone 4s which is my second phone. It ate up about 30-35 percent of my battery daily.
It works extremely well though.

Two quick questions!

I listen to all my music via google play, and the volume of my mp3s go all over the place. Is there any app that will do a real time normalization or volume adjustment?

And then I use Beyond Pod for my podcasts, is there any way to get it so that the episodes don't end up uploading to the music cloud?

Horseticuffs

So with my purchase of a Nexus 4, my first GOOD phone, and the badass T-Mobile $30 plan I've started streaming my music. Yeah, I'll admit the limited storage on the N4 is a factor but that's a different discussion.

Since I moved to Android I've used amazon as my music service. I noticed, while streaming music, that the Amazon mp3 app was using about 175-250 MB an hour of bandwidth. This was pretty steep, I thought, but since it's my first foray into streaming over a cellular connection I figured it was par for the course.

Yesterday I was reading the iTunes radio thread and got kind of jealous so I downloaded the Pandora mobile app to give that a try. I wanted to test it's network usage so I went for a nice hour and a half walk and tested it out. Very pleased with the content, nice mix of favorites and new artists, good audio quality. Not even much of a battery drain!

I get home and it's used less than 30mb of data according to my phones network usage screen. How is this possible? I was in the middle of nowhere. There was no mystery wifi anywhere. I was on my t-mobile connection the whole time. How did it stream almost two hours of music for like 1/7th the bandwidth of the Amazon mp3 app?

Is amazon attempting to stream like super hi-fi quality audio or some shit? I love music but I'm no audiophile so I'm not going to tell the difference between great quality audio and shitty quality.

It just seems impossible to stream that much content for so little data cost. Is the network usage screen like notoriously inaccurate or something?

Edit : So looking at the stat screen it used exactly 20.22 MB of data on my data plan yesterday during my walk. Within the past 24 hours on my wifi it's used a bit over 200 MB and I was streaming for a fair few hours, too! Pretty much my whole waking day.

If these figures are indeed accurate I'm very impressed with Pandora's efficency.

vdlow

Anyone try the Disa.im alpha? Unified messaging app; I think it supports SMS/MMS and WhatsApp currently, and Facebook Messenger is next...
It's pretty good, I would love to use it as a replacement for Whatsapp default app, but disa still miss an option to not download media automatically. I'm really looking forward to Facebook integration.

Horseticuffs

Guys, maybe this is a weird request. I spend a ton of time walking. I prefer to keep a constant pace and not jerk around texting while walking on the sidewalk but I get a ton of texts.

Are there any reliable apps that actually read your texts to you vocally? I'd want one that will work over a bluetooth headset since my new one has a small mic built in. Also, my default messaging app is Facebook Messenger if that matters.

Ideal scenario is I'm walking, listening to my music on my bluetooth headphones. I get a text and the music stops, my message gets read out to me, I can respond vocally much like Android can already do, and bingo bango bongo my music returns until my next message.

Is there anything like this? Am I having some crazy, impossible fantasy? There's some apps that claim to offer these features but each one I've read the reviews of claim they're shit.

I'd pay upwards of $10 for an app like this!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Guys, maybe this is a weird request. I spend a ton of time walking. I prefer to keep a constant pace and not jerk around texting while walking on the sidewalk but I get a ton of texts.

Are there any reliable apps that actually read your texts to you vocally? I'd want one that will work over a bluetooth headset since my new one has a small mic built in. Also, my default messaging app is Facebook Messenger if that matters.

Ideal scenario is I'm walking, listening to my music on my bluetooth headphones. I get a text and the music stops, my message gets read out to me, I can respond vocally much like Android can already do, and bingo bango bongo my music returns until my next message.

Is there anything like this? Am I having some crazy, impossible fantasy? There's some apps that claim to offer these features but each one I've read the reviews of claim they're shit.

The S4 does that in driving mode but I don't think it will work for Facebook messenger, just email and SMS.

Kansoku

Have you tried accessibility options?

Horseticuffs

Thanks for the ideas, guys. With a few caveats a program called "Text by Voice" seems to do the trick. I'll just need to use my default texting app!

mantidor

I'm in the search for a new music player, google Music makes it a pain to randomize your playlist (randomizes only once and keeps playing the randomized list in the same order), has no lyric support, listening to one genre is also a pain( you have to clean manually your current playlist) and it's not very customizable.

I loved Winamp, but it eats bsttery like crazy, and I don't think it has lyric support, N7player crashes on me, do you guys have any suggestions?

Threi

notag
Action Launcher is the best, but there is no free version or trial, and never goes on sale.

Nova is ol' reliable though.

Top Bottom