• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Groof

How does the Android Humble Bundle app work? Are they codes for the Play store or direct downloads or what?

Unless anything's changed, they have their own app you log into and download your games through. Updates and the like are handled through that app as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any way to make Press mark items as read when you scroll through them?

Unfortunately not. The articles will if you're swiping from article to article, but through the feed itself, no.

RM8

Is there a good app to transfer installed apps to the SD card without rooting? Is such thing even possible? :p

3phemeral

Is there a good app to transfer installed apps to the SD card without rooting? Is such thing even possible? :p

Well, you shouldn't transfer apps to the SD card if they have widgets you're using. But you should be able to use something like app2sd or something. I haven't used them in ages since my Galaxy Nexus does not have an MSD slot, so I don't know if they still work but recent reviews should help you out.

RM8

That's exactly what just happened with the app 3phemeral suggested :(

It's so dumb. My phone has 8GB of internal memory and I only get to use like 5 anyway. My 32GB microSD is used exclusively for stuff like music or pics :( Oh the sadness.

3phemeral

That's exactly what just happened with the app 3phemeral suggested :(

It's so dumb. My phone has 8GB of internal memory and I only get to use like 5 anyway. My 32GB microSD is used exclusively for stuff like music or pics :( Oh the sadness.

I suppose that's Google's fault for dropping support as they used to allow it in Honeycomb. Ever since the transition to msd-less devices, I think most developers chose to opt out. I don't know if there's a way you can force it, but it's probably not a good idea to do so if you could.

RM8

I found a tutorial to make my SD card the default destination for downloads and stuff, I'll try that. 5GB is like 3 big games :( My older Xperia P is laughing at me so hard.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Thanks for the thread, very helpful for new android users.

Is there a thread for game recommendations too?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634971

In fact there is! Some of my favorites: Walking Dead Assault, Air Attack HD, Pocket RPG, Zombie Gunship, Mini Motor Racing, Subway Surfers, Super Hexagon, Dumb Ways to Die.

On another topic:

Guys, I'm a babe in the woods to tinkering with Android. I see that Cyanogenmod is now getting some official Google Play app. Is my understanding that this means rooting is now literally a matter of just downloading the Android app, the windows PC app, connecting the two via USB, and pressing a few buttons and it all being done for you with no fuss, no muss accurate?

I don't mean to be dense, but what does this mean exactly? I have a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 4 and am very pleased with my experience with Android currently, what benefit might using the Cyanogenmod have for me? I've read it may increase performance and stability? Really? I find it hard to believe that third-party OS's would be more efficient than Google themselves. My Nexus 7 2012 is starting to feel a bit muddy, perhaps I ought give this a go?

Please, treat me like an idiot child suffering under ignorance and illuminate me!

Hello fellow android user, I want to use my tablet for reading my college courses, so far I'm using the Adobe reader application, I want to know if there is a better (free or note) alternative with the following features by order of importance :
- Ease of use of highlighting options (like quickly switching highlight colors with a displayed toolbar, just passing on the text to highlight, etc)
- Able to handle +100Mb pdf files (Yeah I got big ass courses -_-)
- Seamless pages scrolling

Thank you !

Blackhead

Redarse
Hello fellow android user, I want to use my tablet for reading my college courses...

That's not happening; I've owned the Nexus 10 and retina iPads and they can't handle seamless scrolling on large PDFs. ARM processors are still too weak (a major reason why I've been looking for a good Intel tablet)

yogloo

Hello fellow android user, I want to use my tablet for reading my college courses, so far I'm using the Adobe reader application, I want to know if there is a better (free or note) alternative with the following features by order of importance :
- Ease of use of highlighting options (like quickly switching highlight colors with a displayed toolbar, just passing on the text to highlight, etc)

Thank you !

Try radaee pdf reader. It's the fastest that I have ever used on Android.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634971

In fact there is! Some of my favorites: Walking Dead Assault, Air Attack HD, Pocket RPG, Zombie Gunship, Mini Motor Racing, Subway Surfers, Super Hexagon, Dumb Ways to Die.

On another topic:

Guys, I'm a babe in the woods to tinkering with Android. I see that Cyanogenmod is now getting some official Google Play app. Is my understanding that this means rooting is now literally a matter of just downloading the Android app, the windows PC app, connecting the two via USB, and pressing a few buttons and it all being done for you with no fuss, no muss accurate?

I don't mean to be dense, but what does this mean exactly? I have a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 4 and am very pleased with my experience with Android currently, what benefit might using the Cyanogenmod have for me? I've read it may increase performance and stability? Really? I find it hard to believe that third-party OS's would be more efficient than Google themselves. My Nexus 7 2012 is starting to feel a bit muddy, perhaps I ought give this a go?

Please, treat me like an idiot child suffering under ignorance and illuminate me!
Rooting is just getting complete access to the current OS on the device, being able to modify system files, etc... being rooted just means you can allow/deny certain apps to have root access, it doesn't actually change the OS you're using.

CyanogenMod is a custom version of Android and it replaces the OS on the device. almost every custom OS version is going to be pre-rooted, that is done as a courtesy to the power user.

Horseticuffs

Rooting is just getting complete access to the current OS on the device, being able to modify system files, etc... being rooted just means you can allow/deny certain apps to have root access, it doesn't actually change the OS you're using.

CyanogenMod is a custom version of Android and it replaces the OS on the device. almost every custom OS version is going to be pre-rooted, that is done as a courtesy to the power user.
Thanks for the response! If you are running Cyanogen, being a fork, I'm assuming you can still use Google Play and all the apps? Then again Kindle os is a fork, too.

My old phone, an HTC One V, was a completely awful shitshow. Sometimes it would take 30 seconds to open Facebook. Random reboots, crashes galore, you name it. It would be a bit better after a complete wipe, but would eventually always devolve to shit again.

If, when Cyanogen mod finally comes onto Play (do we have a hard date?), and it's so simple to install that even a normie can do it, I could conceivably install it on my one V and have a decently performing and functioning back up phone?

My theory is that the One V is that it just was never strong enough to handle Jelly Bean. Too little memory at 512 mb and a single core 1ghz processor to boot. I bet an OS designed from the ground up with simplicity and speed in mind might do the trick.

Thanks for the response! If you are running Cyanogen, being a fork, I'm assuming you can still use Google Play and all the apps? Then again Kindle os is a fork, too.

My old phone, an HTC One V, was a completely awful shitshow. Sometimes it would take 30 seconds to open Facebook. Random reboots, crashes galore, you name it. It would be a bit better after a complete wipe, but would eventually always devolve to shit again.

If, when Cyanogen mod finally comes onto Play (do we have a hard date?), and it's so simple to install that even a normie can do it, I could conceivably install it on my one V and have a decently performing and functioning back up phone?

My theory is that the One V is that it just was never strong enough to handle Jelly Bean. Too little memory at 512 mb and a single core 1ghz processor to boot. I bet an OS designed from the ground up with simplicity and speed in mind might do the trick.
you can install a package with google play services to get the google apps running in CM... or on Kindles if you root...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Thank you !

I use Foxit.

Horseticuffs

Hey guys, I've been using Opera on my Nexus 4 because as awesome as Chrome is it eats batteries like hell. I'm not terribly happy with Opera, as it seems very clunky when compared to Chrome.

Are there any other browsers that use very little battery but are a bit snappier than Opera?

Hey guys, I've been using Opera on my Nexus 4 because as awesome as Chrome is it eats batteries like hell. I'm not terribly happy with Opera, as it seems very clunky when compared to Chrome.

Are there any other browsers that use very little battery but are a bit snappier than Opera?

I need to know as well. I've been using Boat Browser and it's good, but it keeps bugging out and I have to reset it a lot of times.

tr4656

I need to know as well. I've been using Boat Browser and it's good, but it keeps bugging out and I have to reset it a lot of times.

Firefox. I'm using Nightly though but it shouldn't make a difference.

Thank you !

Ok, so from my personal experience Adobe reader is really damn slow. And so is pretty much everything else. However, the fastest thing that I have found is the newly acquired (and made free) by Google Quickoffice. I am using it to open +100Mb pdf files as well, and I will say that it is at least significantly smoother.

I recommend at least trying it.

wilflare

a (very) new Android user here..
a few questions
using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

(1) Dolphin Browser - Any idea what does "Enable Dolphin Notifications" does?
(2) DashClock - Any idea how to make it the default widget on the Lockscreen? How do I prevent changes to the Lockscreen
(3) Zooper Widget - Anyone manage to use it to lock your phone/turn off the screen?

Linius

So I'm going to start running since I want to get some more exercising in my life. Which apps would Android Gaf advise to keep track of runs, speed etc?

Horseticuffs

So I'm going to start running since I want to get some more exercising in my life. Which apps would Android Gaf advise to keep track of runs, speed etc?

I use it for walking, and occasionally intermittent running training, but Runtastic Pro is really nice. I'm a big fan.

Like I said, it has an Intermittent running training mode that will ease you into running. It's not the sort of thing most folks can just start doing and stick with, this will acclimate you to it! It's really neat, so many options.

Linius

I use it for walking, and occasionally intermittent running training, but Runtastic Pro is really nice. I'm a big fan.

Like I said, it has an Intermittent running training mode that will ease you into running. It's not the sort of thing most folks can just start doing and stick with, this will acclimate you to it! It's really neat, so many options.

That training mode is only in the pro version? I'll download the free version at first I think just to see if it all works properly with mapping with my runs and keeping track of statistics.

Horseticuffs

That training mode is only in the pro version? I'll download the free version at first I think just to see if it all works properly with mapping with my runs and keeping track of statistics.
Sorry,I'm not certain. I've been pro forever and they just introduced the feature a few months back. I've never had any issues with Runtastic, it's always just worked.

Good luck!

3phemeral

a (very) new Android user here..
a few questions
using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3

(1) Dolphin Browser - Any idea what does "Enable Dolphin Notifications" does?
(2) DashClock - Any idea how to make it the default widget on the Lockscreen? How do I prevent changes to the Lockscreen
(3) Zooper Widget - Anyone manage to use it to lock your phone/turn off the screen?

I can only answer 2) and that's long press the original clock widget, remove it, then replace it with dash clock.

freshair

(

Once you add it to the lockscreen, you can rearrange the order.

Just hold and swipe up / drag and re-order

I am so late to this lol

Linius

Sorry,I'm not certain. I've been pro forever and they just introduced the feature a few months back. I've never had any issues with Runtastic, it's always just worked.

Good luck!

Well I did my run this morning with the free version and it does what I want it to do. My run is mapped. I can see how long I ran and how fast (or slow) I was every kilometer. I like it.

Horseticuffs

Well I did my run this morning with the free version and it does what I want it to do. My run is mapped. I can see how long I ran and how fast (or slow) I was every kilometer. I like it.
I'm really glad it's what you're looking for! Eventually I had to turn off the annoying announcer but, other than that, it's always worked great.

Melchiah

Can anyone recommend a better app than the stock Smart Connect for Xperia, that allows to set different mute settings for different days, and has more options in general?

3phemeral

thanks.. but i still have an option (+) to add extra widgets...
is there anyway to remove that option?

If you remove the original clock, the plus option allows you to add the dash clock widget. If you already added the dash clock widget somewhere else, simply delete it from there and instead, add it to the first lockscreen page.

Horseticuffs

So I got into the Themer beta this afternoon. I played with it for a good 4-5 hours. It's very powerful and just works like it should. What you think it should do, it does. No problems. I was very impressed.

At the end of the day, though, it just cemented for me that nothing beats stock. This isn't Gingerbread anymore. Android just makes sense now. The User Experience is highly pleasant and natural, and I don't know if I really need apps like this any more.

As awesome as some of the themes looked, I just kind of kept wishing I was just back in good ol' stock.

Threi

notag
So I got into the Themer beta this afternoon. I played with it for a good 4-5 hours. It's very powerful and just works like it should. What you think it should do, it does. No problems. I was very impressed.

At the end of the day, though, it just cemented for me that nothing beats stock. This isn't Gingerbread anymore. Android just makes sense now. The User Experience is highly pleasant and natural, and I don't know if I really need apps like this any more.

As awesome as some of the themes looked, I just kind of kept wishing I was just back in good ol' stock.
That's pretty much exactly how i felt when i tried buzz launcher.

Android "looks" good enough now (well outside of the ugly blue but thats gunna go away in KitKat). Just slap on a nice looking wallpaper and i'm good to go.

jwk94

Hey guys, is there an app or something that let's me send and receive texts from my computer as well as my phone?

Horseticuffs

That's pretty much exactly how i felt when i tried buzz launcher.

Android "looks" good enough now (well outside of the ugly blue but thats gunna go away in KitKat). Just slap on a nice looking wallpaper and i'm good to go.

Looking back it was like throwing a blanket over a really nice car. Sure, the blanket may be your favorite color or have Ewoks all over it or whatever the fuck really gets your motor running but ultimately you've just covered over a bitching ride with a blanket.

Hey guys, is there an app or something that let's me send and receive texts from my computer as well as my phone?

I just made Facebook Messenger my default texting app on my Nexus 4 and now I conduct all my texting via it. No fuss, no muss, and I'm texting my friend right now alternately from my phone, tablet, and laptop as I move around the house.

EDIT: I should add that when you make it default it comes through FB messenger even when they text your number. It just seamlessly integrates.

Top Bottom