• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, is there any way I can make my stock, unrooted Nexus 4 change security settings based on location?

I would LOVE if, when I'm at home and work where I know I'm always safe, I could have standard "swipe to unlock" screen. Ideally if I were anywhere else you would need to draw my pattern.

Is there any way for a normal-ass Nexus 4 to do this?

Iacobellis

Guys, is there any way I can make my stock, unrooted Nexus 4 change security settings based on location?

I would LOVE if, when I'm at home and work where I know I'm always safe, I could have standard "swipe to unlock" screen. Ideally if I were anywhere else you would need to draw my pattern.

Is there any way for a normal-ass Nexus 4 to do this?

Tasker, maybe?

Horseticuffs

You're welcome!

Let me know how it works out. I'm on the fence of switching to Android before the year ends, and had my eye on this app.

Well, I'm not as good a nerd as I should be because Tasker was sort of indecipherable to me. I got a refund and went with an app called "Delayed Lock" which allows you, very easily, to just have your device lock and unlock based on location. So far, so good. Within 100 meters of home I'm locked up tighter than a virgin at church.

Iacobellis

Well, I'm not as good a nerd as I should be because Tasker was sort of indecipherable to me. I got a refund and went with an app called "Delayed Lock" which allows you, very easily, to just have your device lock and unlock based on location. So far, so good. Within 100 meters of home I'm locked up tighter than a virgin at church.

Oh boy.

Wow, the app was also just updated today.

Gvaz

Banned
Something to keep in mind when using flipboard is that it's good for the consumer (reader) but not good for the people producing that content you are reading.

See http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/--100456

My issue with the whole situation is that "if you use flipboard you can't be included in our ad revenue listings"

That's great and all, except I don't really care. It's bad enough I have to see ads while im flipping through on flipboard. I don't want to see a single ad anywhere. Ads are intrusive. I don't give a flying fuck about anything you're pushing and they don't help spread valuable information, especially not about any products I'm interested in because there are specific places I go that already has information about those specific things and unless I was looking for something in particular, i'd just go to google and look them up manually.

So to that guy, I'm sorry his ad revenue is down but I'm not going to go to his site manually anyways. Even RockPaperShotgun which I love, I'm rarely gonna go read it unless i can stick it in an aggregator to look at everything all at once. Ain't no one got time for that shit.

Horseticuffs

Oh I found it. It's under Display and then Keyguard. Here I thought it would be under Security Settings. How silly of me.
Maybe that was why. I'll freely admit to not being the smartest dude around. Tasker seemed very feature-rich and powerful but maybe I'm not that much a power user.

wilflare

Just use Next Browser, you'll thank me later:

Next Browser

Also, THIS:

Wakelock Detector

Hands down the BEST app for checking what's using up your battery. And I've used multiple 'battery savers' and even the praised 'Better Battery Stats'...

hmm I tried both Wakelock Detector and Better Battery Stats.
Wakelock is definitely more user friendly in terms of its UI and presentation but I think Better Battery Stats is still better if you want to get into the nitty gritty

(Wakelock helps to identify the biggest offenders)

hmm not sure of Next Browser yet. how's it's battery life?

eznark

Banned
Man, it seems especially slow when posting on GAF. Since that's like the only thing I use my phone browser for, I'm not sure I can last a week with it.

Also is there a way to import RSS feeds?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why do almost no browsers give you quick access to bookmarks by swiping right?

I can't leave Dolphin because that feature is critical for me. Other browsers require way too many clicks to get to the bookmarks. Chrome, stock, Next etc.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why do almost no browsers give you quick access to bookmarks by swiping right?

I can't leave Dolphin because that feature is critical for me. Other browsers require way too many clicks to get to the bookmarks. Chrome, stock, Next etc.
Why does only opera support jump to bottom or top when scrolling. I'm still on opera classic because of this, and the data ccompression.

If you enable quick controls on AOSP browser you can access bookmarks just as quick.

Fucking aosp browser. Tried to install via the download app from the Play store, always FC'd, so deleted the browser, and it deleted my stock browser too. Hence why I'm using Next.

Fuck that thing.

Just use Next Browser, you'll thank me later:

Next Browser

Next Browser seems to hang on me halfway through loading a page after I set it as the default browser. It's kinda annoying. It seemed fine when using it for GAF but once it was opening links, it became inconsistent. Not sure how to fix it or if there's something else going on. Firefox, Chrome and stock don't do this.

NotBacon

Now I randomly can't post via Next Browser. Seems cool but just not up to snuff.

You seem to be having the same issues I had with chrome, which is why I switched to Next....
It makes chrome look like a snail.
Next Browser seems to hang on me halfway through loading a page after I set it as the default browser. It's kinda annoying. It seemed fine when using it for GAF but once it was opening links, it became inconsistent. Not sure how to fix it or if there's something else going on. Firefox, Chrome and stock don't do this.

This is something I've encountered lately, maybe they screwed up an update? Still the pros outweigh the cons for me.

SumGamer

Just a head up on Aviate. Somebody has wiresharked the network and found that all of your installed apps and your location is being sent to server-side (presumably non-encrypted). If you are worried about those stuff then I'd like to advise you to stay away from it for now.

Top Bottom