• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Also on the subject of Aviate, be careful. It crashed on me and after that it just would NOT load at all. Nothing, from rebooting to reinstalling, would allow me to boot it again.

Sorry to those who were looking forward to my Invites, but the only way to do that is from within the app which I can't access any more :/ Maybe they'll patch that soon.

I just downloaded Zino for magazines and it works well on my N7 but the pages don't fill up the full screen. I've noticed Google themselves offer magazines and I was wondering which you guys preferred?

_Isaac

Also on the subject of Aviate, be careful. It crashed on me and after that it just would NOT load at all. Nothing, from rebooting to reinstalling, would allow me to boot it again.

Sorry to those who were looking forward to my Invites, but the only way to do that is from within the app which I can't access any more :/ Maybe they'll patch that soon.

Make sure you e-mail the devs about it.

HildyB

Just a head up on Aviate. Somebody has wiresharked the network and found that all of your installed apps and your location is being sent to server-side (presumably non-encrypted). If you are worried about those stuff then I'd like to advise you to stay away from it for now.

It was patched in an update yesterday. Still might be happening, but you can't see it :p

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My main problem with SwiftKey is they only offer three alternatives to what you swiped. Swype offers five right away and you can swipe to more. This is critical for me on swipe keyboards.

eznark

Banned
Why is "Islamic" one of the default categories on that initial pop-up? The rest are like "what's trending" and"wwhat's new"

Made me laugh.

Sun Drugs

My main problem with SwiftKey is they only offer three alternatives to what you swiped. Swype offers five right away and you can swipe to more. This is critical for me on swipe keyboards.

Doesn't SwiftKey offer three predictions on the next word based on what you just typed? I remember that is why I stopped using it -- because with Swype you have so many alternative to what you just swiped.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Doesn't SwiftKey offer three predictions on the next word based on what you just typed? I remember that is why I stopped using it -- because with Swype you have so many alternative to what you just swiped.

Yes, but if you hit backspace you get alternatives to your typed word.

I don't want next word predictions, swiping isn't accurate enough for that to work well. I need word corrections, and lots of them. That is why Swype is best for me.

HildyB

Google Play My Apps web site, does everyone show that apps you have purchased are marked as installed even though they are not?

CW0idlt.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yes, but if you hit backspace you get alternatives to your typed word.

I don't want next word predictions, swiping isn't accurate enough for that to work well. I need word corrections, and lots of them. That is why Swype is best for me.

I think SwiftKey's next word predictions are far more powerful long term. Simply because as you use it over time you end up typing/swiping so much less because everything is predicted. I can often "type" whole sentences simply from the first few letters of the first word, followed by correct predictions for the rest of the sentence.

I think SwiftKey's next word predictions are far more powerful long term. Simply because as you use it over time you end up typing/swiping so much less because everything is predicted. I can often "type" whole sentences simply from the first few letters of the first word, followed by correct predictions for the rest of the sentence.

this. SwiftKey just ... KNOWS me.

and i do try other keyboards for a week or so when they have major updates, but i always end up going back because SwiftKey is the best at what it does.

Threi

notag
It got removed from the store...and I just noticed that the developer is different ("BlackBerry Limited." vs "BlackBerry Limited")

I think we dun goofed.

*edit*

Its from blackberry's website, so it seems google probably flagged it as a fake app LOL

*edit2*

looks like its back

Nicktendo86

Ok, I know this has probably been asked/answered a million times but why the fuck are the Android OT/Android Apps/Nexus 7 OT threads in community but IOS7 OT/IOS apps/Ipad air are all in OT?

Zeppu

Ok, I know this has probably been asked/answered a million times but why the fuck are the Android OT/Android Apps/Nexus 7 OT threads in community but IOS7 OT/IOS apps/Ipad air are all in OT?

Sheep come in herds, not communities. There are no herd subforums.

VoxPop

BBM is such a joke on iOS/Android. The UI is terrible and just basically a mess. It was so amazing on an actual BB though. They're just 5 years too late.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Here's an interesting Gmail app, rather than the Google Gmail app. It's called Boomerang.

I haven't personally used it but it seems pretty cool.

Description
Meet Boomerang, the most powerful email app for Android. Currently integrates with Gmail and Google Apps accounts ONLY (other services coming soon!)
Featuring advanced functionality like snoozing emails, scheduling email for later, response tracking, and more, Boomerang is the mail client you've been dreaming about. These features, combined with an intuitive gesture system and eye-catching design, make Boomerang the best way to access your Gmail messages on your phone.
If you are having trouble with the app, please EMAIL US so we can help you get things running. It is much easier to troubleshoot via email than via a bad review!
------- Features -------
- Push notifications **NEW**
- Support for "Send as" feature **NEW**
- Account specific themes **NEW**
- Customizable intuitive multi-gesture support
- Tablet optimized layouts
- Snooze email messages
- Schedule messages to be sent later
- Track responses to the emails you send
- Search through all your messages across all Gmail folders
- Access to all labels
- Multi-select messages/Bulk select messages
- Multi-account support with easy account switching
- Integration with your phone contacts for auto-complete
- Email signatures
- Customizable intuitive multi-gesture support
- View and Include Attachments
- Infinite scrolling in Inbox
- Ability to view and edit drafts
- Auto-complete email addresses as you type

ScOULaris

Found this little gem on Reddit today.

FAQr is a GameFAQs reader app for Android. If you've ever tried reading an FAQ in your browser on an Android device, you know how un-optimized it can feel. It's clumsy to navigate because browsers don't use fixed-width fonts like they should for FAQs, and there's no easy way to jump around the document to certain locations.

Well, FAQr solves pretty much all of those problems and does it with a sleek, easy-to-use interface. Comes with both Light and Dark holo themes, custom fonts and sizes, and most importantly the ability to save FAQs and have multiple saved locations within each FAQ to jump to.

I just played around with it a bit, and it's great. No need to print out FAQs anymore if you have a tablet and this app.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
New to android anyone recommend any apps? Got all the social media ones

If fitness is your game I suggest Myfitnesspal, Runtastic, and Zombies, run!
If gaming is your, err, game I suggest you check out Walking Dead Assault, Dead Trigger 2, and Pocket RPG. Also search for the Gaf Android Gaming thread for lots of great stuff!

Salsa

FAQr is a GameFAQs reader app for Android. If you've ever tried reading an FAQ in your browser on an Android device, you know how un-optimized it can feel. It's clumsy to navigate because browsers don't use fixed-width fonts like they should for FAQs, and there's no easy way to jump around the document to certain locations.

Well, FAQr solves pretty much all of those problems and does it with a sleek, easy-to-use interface. Comes with both Light and Dark holo themes, custom fonts and sizes, and most importantly the ability to save FAQs and have multiple saved locations within each FAQ to jump to.

I just played around with it a bit, and it's great. No need to print out FAQs anymore if you have a tablet and this app.

nice. Would have come in handy last week as I was re-playing Apollo Justice with a walkthrough before AA5 came out, but i'll install it for next time

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
If fitness is your game I suggest Myfitnesspal, Runtastic, and Zombies, run!
If gaming is your, err, game I suggest you check out Walking Dead Assault, Dead Trigger 2, and Pocket RPG. Also search for the Gaf Android Gaming thread for lots of great stuff!

cheers mate already have mfp and zombies run, will check out the rest

This looks great

SumGamer

New to android anyone recommend any apps? Got all the social media ones

Tell us what sort of stuff you are into then we can show you a few interesting app to try out. I'm using Playboard and BAM for apps discovery if you ever wanted to try random stuff.

Top Bottom