• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Edwardo

So I just installed iHeartRadio on my HTC One. I was listening on my way into work today, and I exited out from the app's menu when I lost connection after the subway went underground. It was fine until I got to work, but a few minutes later my phone started playing the radio station that I was listening to. I looked at my phone and there was no icon up top for the app running. So I opened iHeartRadio and exited out again, which turned off the radio station. One minute later my phone starts playing it again with no icon showing that the app is running. This time I open the app again, hit start, then stop, and then exit. This was a few hours ago and it hasn't started playing on its own since the last time.

Anyone else run into this problem?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The power button on my S3 died last night. Dealing with getting this fixed/replaced will be a bitch but in the meantime, is there an alternative way to turn the phone off without having to wait 15 seconds? A widget or something that acts as a power button?

It's not rooted, and it's on 4.1.2

JPodz

Banned
Is tehre any good recipe apps? I'm familiar w/ Epicurious and Allrecipes and things like that, but I find plenty of links to cooking blogs, or I've got pictures of recipes I've taken w/ my phone and just refer to the pictures when cooking. Is there some sort of app that will collect these links and photos into one general app-umbrella for easy reference?

Or is my best bet downloading an app and manually inputting the recipes, ingredients, etc from the links/photos, etc? I'd rather not do that as it's awfully time intensive.

Is tehre any good recipe apps? I'm familiar w/ Epicurious and Allrecipes and things like that, but I find plenty of links to cooking blogs, or I've got pictures of recipes I've taken w/ my phone and just refer to the pictures when cooking. Is there some sort of app that will collect these links and photos into one general app-umbrella for easy reference?

Or is my best bet downloading an app and manually inputting the recipes, ingredients, etc from the links/photos, etc? I'd rather not do that as it's awfully time intensive.

I've used Paprika, which I love on the desktop—but the Android version is pretty sketchy. So then I tried Evernote Food, which is awesome because I use Evernote so much, and can just use the ordinary Evernote Web Clipper to pull recipes in. But then I realized that it was easier to actually FIND my recipes with the ordinary Evernote app (Evernote Food doesn't organize them much), so now I just use that.

So my recommendation is just plain Evernote, with a notebook specifically for recipes. Or if you just gotta have something that feels like a recipe app, Evernote Food. For what it's worth, Evernote Food does have a pretty cool recipe discovery thing built right in.

i'm guessing you'll need to root and remove it, then install an APK of the older app.

I've used Paprika, which I love on the desktop—but the Android version is pretty sketchy. So then I tried Evernote Food, which is awesome because I use Evernote so much, and can just use the ordinary Evernote Web Clipper to pull recipes in. But then I realized that it was easier to actually FIND my recipes with the ordinary Evernote app (Evernote Food doesn't organize them much), so now I just use that.

So my recommendation is just plain Evernote, with a notebook specifically for recipes. Or if you just gotta have something that feels like a recipe app, Evernote Food. For what it's worth, Evernote Food does have a pretty cool recipe discovery thing built right in.

i also use Evernote for recipes.

The power button on my S3 died last night. Dealing with getting this fixed/replaced will be a bitch but in the meantime, is there an alternative way to turn the phone off without having to wait 15 seconds? A widget or something that acts as a power button?

There is an app that uses the proximity sensor to turn the phone on or off. Forgot the name of it though.

I use simple cover lock. It's free and I'm also not rooted.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's the name of that app that let's you sell stuff really fast and easily?

EDIT: Nvm, it's SOLD

I don’t touch power button and have been using Screen Off and Lock since forever. Don't need root

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's the name of that app that let's you sell stuff really fast and easily?

EDIT: Nvm, it's SOLD

Heh, nice work there, Divvy.

"We are writing to inform you that our database service provider, MongoHQ, had a security flaw in their service that allowed an unauthorized third party to access the Sold database. More details about the breach can be found here. We were notified early this morning and have been working throughout the day to ensure we've taken appropriate steps to mitigate any further security issues, as well as notify our customers of the situation."

http://security.mongohq.com/notice#security-breach

Asking again, anyone knows any widgets for Gmail that have a nice skin, hoping for something that looks minimalistic with white font and dark transparent background. Thanks

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
any good apps for night photography? Im going to an outdoor concert later this month and want to take good clear shots of the band.

Salsa

reinstalled Tasker and created a few profiles now that I actually have places to be and I can forget to toggle stuff

what kind of profiles do you guys have?

jokkir

reinstalled Tasker and created a few profiles now that I actually have places to be and I can forget to toggle stuff

what kind of profiles do you guys have?

One that reads my texts for me when the screen is off and my headphones are plugged. Very helpful, imo.

I'm going to make another one where it will give me a choice to open a music app when i plug earphones in.

Salsa

I'm going to make another one where it will give me a choice to open a music app when i plug earphones in.

I did that earlier and it already kinda bugged me cause I got a voice message in whatsapp, plugged headphones in and boop music app

not such a hassle to go back specially since I barely get something like a voice message, but just in case there's an option for tasker to bring up app options, as in a drawer showing you media apps once you plug in the headphones. Might be better suited

I have one that puts my notifications on vibrate when the screen is on and back to loudest when its off. think that's the one that gets most use. dont really need for my phone to be beeping all over if im looking at it

How do I get my s4 to stop interrupting my music when I get a notification

So fucking annoying, especially with group texts, so I'd like to know this too.

Does it have pop up SMS settings? That's really the only feature I care about.

It doesn't. The app looks nice, but as far as features go, it's bare bones. It also doesn't let you know you've received a notification at all unless you open the app and check. :/

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Are there any apps which lets me use my own wallpapers and have it with all these neat little effects ala bunch of those live wallpapers?

Salsa

couple of my pics from Hellotext since I dont think the store page does a good job of showing it

luiNA5Pl.png
grJEJ4Ul.png

really dig the fact that you can mark messages as "read" directly from the notification bar too

themes/different colors would be nice but I guess that's safe to assume it'll come eventually

Groof

couple of my pics from Hellotext since I dont think the store page does a good job of showing it

luiNA5Pl.png
grJEJ4Ul.png

really dig the fact that you can mark messages as "read" directly from the notification bar too

Mm that looks sexy. How well does it handle MMS?

Groof

I randomly sent a pic to a friend but he didnt respond :p, but it seemed to work fine

camera button lets you take a pic and browse all images with an in-app gallery:

ywSme5Vl.jpg

Man even that interface looks good. Might try this out once I get my N4 back. Thanks for the screens btw, the ones on their app page say absolutely squat about the actual app.

Top Bottom