• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

zbeeb

So Facebook for android has been updated to 1.9.

Aside from adding annoying extra shortcuts to the apps list, its a pretty decent improvement, the app itself is a lot smoother and faster loading.

edit: its also got some ics theme bits here n there.

SimleuqiR

So Facebook for android has been updated to 1.9.

Aside from adding annoying extra shortcuts to the apps list, its a pretty decent improvement, the app itself is a lot smoother and faster loading.

edit: its also got some ics theme bits here n there.

There are some SLIGHT UI improvements.

Also, the new shortcuts make me fear they will get rid off the stand alone messenger app :-\

zbeeb

Also, the new shortcuts make me fear they will get rid off the stand alone messenger app :-

A Facebook dev on Reddit says they integrated the messenger app into the full fb app, but currently have no plans to remove the stand alone from the market.

Also, the new shortcuts make me fear they will get rid off the stand alone messenger app :-\

The Camera shortcut makes me angry. That's not aiming to be misleading. I don't want that. FACEBOOK why do you make me angry so

jokkir

The Facebook update is so terrible. I can see it draining my battery more than ever. And adding random icons I don't want on the app,drawer? Bleh.

I'm usually neutral about these things but meh

Edit - looks like it finally adds contact syncing to ICS?

Mafro

The guys that are developing Boid have said they are also developing an ICS Facebook app based on those Holo-themed mock-ops that someone did a few weeks ago.

SimleuqiR

Nope! The app is asking you to add contacts from your phone on to Facebook. That's not syncing, that's one way.

There is no Facebook sync account in the sync settings on ICS, even after this update.

Facebook believes they own your contacts on Facebook.

They did add more controls for specific notifications.

Flash

Nope! The app is asking you to add contacts from your phone on to Facebook. That's not syncing, that's one way.

There is no Facebook sync account in the sync settings on ICS, even after this update.

i dont get it...how come fb allows sync with W7 phones?

Zeppu

Holo theme'd to boot!

The Facebook update is so terrible. I can see it draining my battery more than ever. And adding random icons I don't want on the app,drawer? Bleh.

I'm usually neutral about these things but meh

HaxSync works pretty well to sync contacts

Ooooo, I may actually get notifications now lol

Its pretty sad that the FB app for Blackberry does more than Android =/

SimleuqiR

HaxSync works pretty well to sync contacts

Ooooo, I may actually get notifications now lol

Its pretty sad that the FB app for Blackberry does more than Android =/

Its sad that with every step forward they take two steps back.

Firstly, the ability load a picture into a specific folder is GONE!
Secondly, hitting the '+' icon to add a picture takes you straight into their camera app. Why?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Facebook app also seems way slower (to load data) and more crashy than before.

SimleuqiR

If I uninstall the Facebook app, can I still upload photos?

I think the mobile site actually allows you to, though I don't think you can choose which folder to upload to. You also need the stock Android browser - they don't seem to "Support" Chrome for Android...

zbeeb

checked my battery stats half way through yesterday. Facebook usage is at 24%...

Seriously don't understand how such a big online company can be so shit at making apps.

jokkir

Uninstalled the Facebook app. I think I'm going to try sticking to using the browser for Facebook stuff. Unless anyone has the .apk for the previous version of it?

_Isaac

Uninstalled the Facebook app. I think I'm going to try sticking to using the browser for Facebook stuff. Unless anyone has the .apk for the previous version of it?

Have you guys tried Friendcaster. That seems to be a better Facebook app than the official one. It's the one I use.

zbeeb

Have you guys tried Friendcaster. That seems to be a better Facebook app than the official one. It's the one I use.

Yep, it was much better except that my friends privacy settings means a lot of the news feed doesn't come through.

I think the mobile site actually allows you to, though I don't think you can choose which folder to upload to. You also need the stock Android browser - they don't seem to "Support" Chrome for Android...
But as for uploading straight from the 'Gallery', that goes with the app?

_Isaac

Yep, it was much better except that my friends privacy settings means a lot of the news feed doesn't come through.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The app respects their privacy settings?

EDIT: OH you mean they restrict external apps?

zbeeb

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The app respects their privacy settings?

EDIT: OH you mean they restrict external apps?

yep exactly, if friends have blocked their posts from being visible to 3rd party apps, then friendcaster cant display them.

Mafro

Yea, its extremely slow

Twitter is ultra-fast by comparison

Very very strange that the BB FB app is better in many ways
The BB Facebook app is made by RIM themselves and build for that particular OS, whereas the Android one is by Facebook themselves and just basically a copy of the iOS one and doesn't follow any of the design guidelines. Same with the Twitter app.

The Facebook app is a lot better for me on ICS after the update. Much, much faster at scrolling, it seems they've finally enabled GPU acceleration.

jokkir

Someone on XDA modded the latest Facebook update so it removes the extra icons added to the app drawer. You can get it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1612947

I haven't tried it yet since Friendcaster seems a lot better than Facebook so far. Or at least the speed/UI

EDIT - Does anyone know what's up with Twitter and Android (or ICS)? Contact sync has been broken for months

EDIT 2 - Tried the Facebook apk above on my Nexus S running 4.0.4 and it works.

SimleuqiR

So, why aren't the direct message and direct dial widgets showing up on Nova Launcher? That pretty much killed it for me. ;_;

Mafro

New update to the official Twitter app and they seem to have completely removed the (previously broken) contacts sync option, as well as giving the UI a little bit of a change.

voodooray

Andmade Share

Is your Share menu getting cluttered with app choices that you don't want to have?

A nice and highly useful app which can override your default Share menu, allowing you to filter out infrequently used apps, and even reorder the share list to put your most preferred apps nearer the top. Its also free.

w7bB8.jpg

SimleuqiR

Signing in into my Drop box account on the mobile app has a weird affect on my gallery app and Picasa. When logged into this app I lose the function of selecting a specific folder to upload to in my Picasa account. If remove the drop box account, the function comes back! Something is up, and I blame the new drop box application. Previous versions didn't create this issue with sharing on to Picasa.

Anyone else having this issue?

Signing in into my Drop box account on the mobile app has a weird affect on my gallery app and Picasa. When logged into this app I lose the function of selecting a specific folder to upload to in my Picasa account. If remove the drop box account, the function comes back! Something is up, and I blame the new drop box application. Previous versions didn't create this issue with sharing on to Picasa.

Anyone else having this issue?
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=58312

looks like it's a reported issue, no response yet from Dropbox.

tino

Banned
Its the same application.

----

So the espire launcher is pretty cool, I decided to try it out for the hell of it.

- Widgets
- Easy search access (since there's no search key anymore =*( )
- You can hide apps you don't use alot, and bring them up by pinching out.
- Super smooth

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgg2150mrhk453m/Screenshot_2012-04-28-06-50-57.png

LOL, didn't we have a iOS shanzai launcher from 2 years ago? I prefer MIUI's implementation.

Here, let me show you.

Also a bonus awesome Meego theme.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Is there a single conversion app that does weight to volume? I've had to download a pile of apps because all the reviews or comments are too vague and they're all limited to doing weight to weight or volume to volume.

beje

Banned
Is there a single conversion app that does weight to volume? I've had to download a pile of apps because all the reviews or comments are too vague and they're all limited to doing weight to weight or volume to volume.

You cannot directly convert weight to volume, as it depends on the material density. The 1Kg (weight) = 1L (capacity) only works with water, whose density is "1". Unless there is some app that takes into account this and offers a range of common stuff (I guess you want it for food ingredients), I doubt you can find one. As a curiosity, my parents have a jar around that does this and tell you the weight of flour, rice and sugar with different marks along with the water capacity.

JCX

Anyone try out the Adobe tablet apps? The reviews on the store seem pretty bad, but I'm looking for a simple graphic design program.

Top Bottom