• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Been using this for a week and a half or so and it's great. Good performance and a nice UI, look and feel.

couple of my pics from Hellotext since I dont think the store page does a good job of showing it

really dig the fact that you can mark messages as "read" directly from the notification bar too

themes/different colors would be nice but I guess that's safe to assume it'll come eventually

So you guys are actually receiving notifications through hellotext? Every time I get a text I don't get a notification and I don't know about the text until I open the app and check the various conversations.

ScOULaris

So...what's the hotness in launchers these days?
Action Launcher is dat new hotness. Or you can go with Nova if you want traditional with more features.

Also, the new Swype update is incredible. Much faster performance, configurable long-press duration and vibration intensity. It's perfect now!

BurningNad

So you guys are actually receiving notifications through hellotext? Every time I get a text I don't get a notification and I don't know about the text until I open the app and check the various conversations.

Yeah. Notifications work fine for me. Might wanna email the dev, they respond usually same day to me. I've mailed them a few times.

any app to put a volume slider in the notification bar? I can only find one that has an up and down volume but no slider. It's a pain in the ass to adjust volume on my n7 in its case.

Salsa

I get them. I only didnt get a notification once but it *could* have been the fact that I was JUST in the app and it showed up before I exited

it's reliable so far

edit: I use Nova btw

ScOULaris

why? I thought Apex was much lighter/faster.

Nah, Nova is on a lot of devices. Everyone's mileage may very, though, depending on the ROM and hardware.

That being said, Action Launcher is the current king. Everything else is just inefficient by comparison.

Groof

Y'all bustas. Apex is not only prettier aesthetically, it provides a way more pleasant user experience than Nova. While Nova tries to reinvent the effin wheel with it's ugly ass menus and themed pop ups and makes them super unintuitive in the process, Apex keeps it simple but offers the exact same feature set.

Threi

notag
^ what the hell lol

Nova is based directly off stock google launcher code. They just add some features on top of it.

Threi

notag
NnwM6jn.png
e1KSJu6.png

seriously. Knock it off with the hyperbole. They are so similar in this respect that you are just nitpicking.

At least Nova actually has proper grid sizes and doesn't muck up widgets.

Groof

Steering away from the Apex vs Nova wars (Apex is still the winner), my gf ran into a strange issue with Google Play Books. She has access to the store and can buy books, even download free samples, but she can't open a single one. It loads for a bit but then shows an error message saying the book couldn't be displayed.
I've tried clearing data, cache and even un and reinstalling the app. We even tried logging into her account on my N7 and it still didn't work. What can cause this?

ScOULaris

Wow. Why are people still locked into the traditional paradigm of Nova and Apex? Give Action Launcher Pro a try. I promise you that after a few days of using it you won't be able to go back to either of those two. The slide-out app drawer, covers, and shutters are all must-have features once you've been spoiled by them.

Elchele

Wow. Why are people still locked into the traditional paradigm of Nova and Apex? Give Action Launcher Pro a try. I promise you that after a few days of using it you won't be able to go back to either of those two. The slide-out app drawer, covers, and shutters are all must-have features once you've been spoiled by them.

I would give it a try if there was a non-pro free version

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Honestly I don't use 99% of the launcher stuff. Launchers just make it easy to install custom icon sets. Outside of that I just keep everything like stock.

SwiftKey announced on twitter that they are working on emojis and an option for a 5th row for numbers.

Can't try without a trial and 15 minutes isn't anywhere near enough time for a launcher to be tested.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just use Nova like a normal person.

Speaking of Nova, does it have dpi settings? On my G2, which is a 1080p screen, all widgets and text are larger in Nova than on the stock launcher. Which is annoying and defeats the purpose of having a higher resolution screen.

Any solutions to that?

adelante

Yep, slide-out drawer is the only reason why I no longer find any need to rock multiple pages of apps. Love it.

Threi

notag
Action Launcher is pretty boss. Funny thing is covers can be replicated exactly in Nova but nobody ever uses them (You can assign slide gestures to all folders and shortcuts)

Either way it all won't matter in the end since we will all be using GEL :p

Yeah. Notifications work fine for me. Might wanna email the dev, they respond usually same day to me. I've mailed them a few times.

I get them. I only didnt get a notification once but it *could* have been the fact that I was JUST in the app and it showed up before I exited

it's reliable so far

edit: I use Nova btw

So I'm getting the notifications now. Turns out GoSMS was interfering, even though I had notifications for it turned off and on for hellotext. Uninstalled GoSMS and all is well and I'm liking the app so far; really dig the sleek and minimalist look of it. Only thing is a little color customization with be nice and pop up texts as well. Maybe in a future update.

SumGamer

Action Launcher Pro is the best for me as well. It just reinvent the drawer but only to make it better.
Finding the app you want is so fast. Searching for app is easy. Shutter (a.k.a. widget on demand) is a nice feature that I set up for some apps.

Now I'm on Nexus 5 to give the new launcher a try and finding myself missing Action Launcher Pro every time trying to find an app.

Salsa

im close to installing another browser anyway. Chrome fucking sucks on my Galaxy S3 for some reason. incredibly slow, doesnt help when it boots up as I forget to close tabs when I exit it and it has to load everything. even if I didnt tho, still hella slow

im close to installing another browser anyway. Chrome fucking sucks on my Galaxy S3 for some reason. incredibly slow, doesnt help when it boots up as I forget to close tabs when I exit it and it has to load everything. even if I didnt tho, still hella slow

Using Chrome myself and I'm ready to to switch as well, but every browser I use ends up getting bogged down after a while. I'll probably end up going back to Opera like I always do.

Top Bottom