• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Omlagus

Anybody have any recommendations of good task list/to do list apps? Ever since Astrid shut down I've tried Wunderlist and Any.do but haven't really found either to be all that great. Ideally I'd like it to have the ability to share lists or tasks.

Any suggestions?

Anybody have any recommendations of good task list/to do list apps? Ever since Astrid shut down I've tried Wunderlist and Any.do but haven't really found either to be all that great. Ideally I'd like it to have the ability to share lists or tasks.

Any suggestions?

Not an app but Workflowy is pretty great and has an ok mobile version of the site.

Hieberrr

Any suggestions?

Tasks and/or No Nonsense Notes

wilflare

Any suggestions?

hmm Wunderlist has the option to share the to-do list with someone
I've been using that

Is it really worth buying?

I bought it before the sale. I must say that I like the play-upon-Audio-jack-connection, but ever since I bought the "unlocker" for it, I've had issues with it keeping the previous artist's name and album art showing, but will show the current track name and album. This can go on for 4-5 songs before I get sick of it.

Redirect File Organizer - Free
Redirect File Organizer Pro - $1.99
*The free version has no widgets and no themes!*

Description
One million gallery albums no more!
Redirect File Organizer finally offers a way to automatically organise your files.
The concept is simple, you create a 'Redirect/s' in my app that contains some info about how you want your device organised (eg. Move Movie and Video files to the /movies folder), once you've created it once the app will automatically organise however you have told it to.
- Move your Video files to one folder.
- Move your gifs to one place.
- Consolidate your music.
- Automatically manage files from your Internal Storage to SD Card with no intervention!
- Easily backup files.
- Keep your work documents organised.
- Make a mistake or don't like how it is organised? - Just click undo and try again.

Features
- Support for Android 2.3+
- Insanely fast - Redirected 29 files per second on a HTC One*
- Extremely low footprint.
- Ability to edit Redirects.
- Create custom Redirects!
- Tasker Support

Omlagus

Google Keep? I don't know if it has an option to share though.

Not an app but Workflowy is pretty great and has an ok mobile version of the site.

Tasks and/or No Nonsense Notes

hmm Wunderlist has the option to share the to-do list with someone
I've been using that

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll take a look at these.

While doing some additional searching of my own I found one called TickTick which looks like it might be a good Astrid replacement. So I think I will try that too, but just wanted to mention it for everyone else.

Sorry to revisit the Tasker topic.

How is Tasked with shutting off the lock screen when asked to? The problem I'm having with Llama is the even when I tell it to disable the lock screen when on my home WiFi, it doesn't do it half the time.

Thinking about going to Tasker because of this, but thought I would ask you guys that actually use it. :)

joaomgcd

pushbullet's new thing with Android notifications is almost perfect and surprisingly useful

the trouble comes when you get say, two whatsapp messages together. In that case the PC notification just says "2 new messages", meaning you still have to pick up your phone to see what the message is.

to be fair that's how it is in the notification bar too, so I guess it's to be expected

Check out AutoRemote and AutoNotification:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JoãoDias/posts/dN6KMcGHqSh

If you have Android 4.3+ it can get all of your notifications text (including multiple messages if the expanded notifications shows them), image, icon and buttons and send them to your browser. :) You can even dismiss the notifications from the browser if you so choose.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sorry to revisit the Tasker topic.

How is Tasked with shutting off the lock screen when asked to? The problem I'm having with Llama is the even when I tell it to disable the lock screen when on my home WiFi, it doesn't do it half the time.

Thinking about going to Tasker because of this, but thought I would ask you guys that actually use it. :)

I think this depends more on your phone and whether you are rooted. Llama fails on my stock G2 for this task, and I am also interested in whether Tasker would be better.

Check out AutoRemote and AutoNotification:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JoãoDias/posts/dN6KMcGHqSh

If you have Android 4.3+ it can get all of your notifications text (including multiple messages if the expanded notifications shows them), image, icon and buttons and send them to your browser. :) You can even dismiss the notifications from the browser if you so choose.

wow, Im officially old and dont understand Google Plus, what did you just link??? Is there an app to download or something? just a bunch of people talking about the plugin. Im very interested in setting this up.

joaomgcd

wow, Im officially old and dont understand Google Plus, what did you just link??? Is there an app to download or something? just a bunch of people talking about the plugin. Im very interested in setting this up.

Sorry, should've given a bit more context. :p That's just my Google+ community where I posted the video some time ago. A G+ community is just a forum like GAF.

AutoNotification and AutoRemote are 2 Tasker plugins that expand on Tasker's core functionality.

In this example, AutoNotification intercepts the notification, and AutoRemote sends that notification to your browser.

The great part is that, like all things Tasker, it's not a predetermined setup. You set it up the way you want to. You can just as well create a popup with the notification, or say the text out loud.

Here you can get an idea on how to make AutoRemote work: http://joaoapps.com/autoremote/ and if you're into it, check it the recent 3.0 release here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvBY5QCvDVs Sorry for the shameless self promotion btw :p

Well the OT didn't help much. What browser is currently the best to use? I use XScope, and feel like the guys behind it aren't going to update it.

Besides chrome, what browsers do you guys use? I'm willing to pay for a browser.

tr4656

Well the OT didn't help much. What browser is currently the best to use? I use XScope, and feel like the guys behind it aren't going to update it.

Besides chrome, what browsers do you guys use? I'm willing to pay for a browser.

I exclusively use Firefox.

Sorry, should've given a bit more context. :p That's just my Google+ community where I posted the video some time ago. A G+ community is just a forum like GAF.

AutoNotification and AutoRemote are 2 Tasker plugins that expand on Tasker's core functionality.

In this example, AutoNotification intercepts the notification, and AutoRemote sends that notification to your browser.

The great part is that, like all things Tasker, it's not a predetermined setup. You set it up the way you want to. You can just as well create a popup with the notification, or say the text out loud.

Here you can get an idea on how to make AutoRemote work: http://joaoapps.com/autoremote/ and if you're into it, check it the recent 3.0 release here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvBY5QCvDVs Sorry for the shameless self promotion btw :p

Thank you so much, this looks amazing, will purchase it and give it a try.

Threi

notag
Submarino Conversível;92675386 said:
I bought it and I'm liking it so far

Yup, it's a great launcher. Unlike Aviate and Themer, the features added actually aid productivity and don't get in your way (as nice as they look).

I actually replaced Nova with it on both my Phone and Tablet, will definitely stick with it on at least one of those devices (prob. my phone)

kehs

Banned

I use Opera. Chrome is absolute garbage on android. I literally only load it up to use it as a makeshift chrome to phone.

You're just gonna have to give it each browser a shot for a week or so to see which one you'd like. I went through dolphin and firefox, and finally settled on opera after they took away the AOSP browser.

Threi

notag
pushbullet is the truth

(not notification sync though, that seems so unnecessary to me, plus its a huge battery killer)

Hey gaf I made a conversion app. If you find an app with more conversions let me know :)

Convert Everything unit converter includes:

Acceleration - Angular
Acceleration - Linear
Angles
Frequency
Electric Potential
Ring size
Brix and Baume
Oven Temperature
Fuel Consumption
Large Numbers
Alphanumeric phone number to all numeric
Wire gauge
Sheet metal gauge
Colors - Hex to RGB, RGB to hex
Metric Unit
Men's Pants
Men's Hats
Men's Underwear
Men's Socks
Men's Dress Shirts
Men's Shoes
Women's Shoes
Women's Clothing Size
Men's Suits and Coats
Men's T-shirts
Text conversions - ASCII, hexadecimal, binary, Morse code, Base64, UPPERCASE,lowercase,sWitch cASE, Title Case, First letter of sentence, URL encode, remove spaces, remove extras, rot13 cipher, reverse text, reverse words
Moment of Force
Specific Heat Capacity
Heat Capacity
Illumination
Illumination - Luminous Intensity
Digital Image Resolution
Temperature
Torque
Length/Distance
Planetary Weight
Planetary Age
Roman Numerals
Currency
Astronomical
Sound
Volume Charge Density
Typography
Temperature Interval
Latent Heat
HVAC Efficiency
Chemical - Henry''s Law
Calorific Value
Specific Volume
Resistivity
Resistance
Thermal Expansion
Magnetomotive Force
Permeability
Surface Charge Density
Surface Current Density
Conductivity
Mass/Weight
Magnetic Field Strength
Thermal Resistivity
Thermal Conductivity
Surface Tension
Area
Force
Viscosity - Dynamic
Viscosity - Kinematic
Volume
Concentration - Liquid Solution
Concentration - Molar
Data Storage
Capacitance
Charge
Conductance
Current
Data Transfer
Density
Electric Field
Energy
Entropy
Volume - Dry
Volume - Lumber
Velocity - Angular
Velocity
Radiation - Exposure
Time
Radiation - Radioactivity
Radiation - Dose Equivalent
Radiation - Absorbed Dose Rate
Radiation - Absorbed Dose
Flow
Flow - Mass
Flow - Molar
Heat Flux Density
Heat Transfer Coefficient
Inductance
Linear Charge Density
Linear Current Density
Luminance
Magnetic Flux
Magnetic Flux Density
Mass Flux Density
Moment of Inertia
Pressure
Power
Area of Room
Blood Sugar
Cooking - butter
Time - Unix timestamp
Frequency wavelength
Time - Lead time - add days/weeks/months/years to a given date
Time - Remove time - remove days/weeks/months/years to a given date
Time - Days until - number of days until a given date
Wind chill
Volume - Objects: Barrel,Cone,Cube,Cylinder - hollow,Ellipsoid,Polygon,Pyramid,Rectangular Box,Sphere,Sphere-partially filled,Torus,Trapezoid,Wedge,Cylinder, Cuboid, Cylinder - Hemispherical ends
Women's bra band size
Women's bra cup size
Children's shoes (4-7yrs)
Children's shoes (7-12yrs)
Toddler shoes
Infant shoes
Area - Shapes: Annulus,Circle,Ellipse,Parallelogram,Rectangle,Sector of a Circle,Square,Trapezoid,Equilateral Triangle,Right Triangle,Scalene Triangle
Perimeter - Shapes: Circle,Rectangle,Polygon,Square,Parallelogram,Triangle,Rhombus,Trapezium,Ellipse
Surface Area - Sphere,Ellipsoid,Cuboid,Cube,Cylinder,Cone,Right square pyramid

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.converteverything&hl=en

Emwitus

Kit kat launcher is uhm....yeah. Atleast i get a transparent bar but only on the desktop? So disappointing Why wouldn't google make this bar transparent on all screen and all phones?Shet.

Well Pushbullet doesnt work for notifications at all.

I can send and receive all the stuff the app supports, like Text, links, etc.

But notifications are just not syncing at all, and as a matter of fact it seems to have turned off my other apps that use Notification Mirroring like Nils and Go Locker :(

jokkir

Kit kat launcher is uhm....yeah. Atleast i get a transparent bar but only on the desktop? So disappointing Why wouldn't google make this bar transparent on all screen and all phones?Shet.

On all apps?

Because if it included the transparency on all apps, it might break some design stuff the developer was going for. That's why Google provided the necessary API's in 4.4 to include transparency so that developers can determine if a transparent nav/status bar is beneficial/works on their app.

This is the reason why it's not on all phones too because of the updated 4.4 API.

Now, the half-assed Kitkat on other devices that are not the Nexus 5 is another story.

Soodanim

Tasker is very powerful, but it's clunky as hell to use. But to give you some examples of what you can do here's what I use:
On my phone I have it turn on screen lock when off my home WiFi and off when back on it.
For both phone and tablet I have it put them on silent at a specific time and turn on sound at another.

Yes, Llama is nearly as powerful and free.
Using Llama to disable screen lock when on hone WiFi is one of the best things I've ever done on a phone, so thank you!
You guys need to check out Tweedle. The Dev just completely rebuilt the app and it might be one of the only Android Twitter apps that rivals the clean polish of Tweetbot. It's a tiny bit laggy when you first load it but I'm sure that'll get better in time.

And it's free!
I just switched to this, I love the look. I went from Falcon back to Twitter, and now I'm using this but keeping Twitter's favourite notifications on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIoPXYV_awI#t=132

Action Launcher 2.0 demo.

Really liking the Quick Page, wish Nova had that.
Saw this before, ignored it. Watched the video, tried it, bought it. Even after buying Nova a couple days ago. I'm not sure which I like better. What sold me was the quick page, although it has already gotten in the way once.

I exclusively use Firefox.
I reinstalled (well, installed the beta), but I remember now why I uninstalled it in the first place: it's awful with text boxes like this one. It places the text cursor 2 lines above where you click, which has made posting this post far more awkward than it should have been. Does anyone know of a way to fix that?

Threi

notag
I wasn't sold on quickpage at all (disabled it) until i decided to put everything that was on my second screen onto it. That's when it really clicked for me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey I got a update for Stay Awake but it didn't add the boot option or fix the menu button :/

Well the menu thing is because it's for 2.2+ devices, the boot thing I still have to add in :)

Is there another app for 4.0+ devices that I missed?!

Have you considered ActionBar Sherlock or other such measures?

Haven't considered will take a look at it though.

p.s. Google has added their own official substitue for actionbar sherlock iirc

tr4656

I reinstalled (well, installed the beta), but I remember now why I uninstalled it in the first place: it's awful with text boxes like this one. It places the text cursor 2 lines above where you click, which has made posting this post far more awkward than it should have been. Does anyone know of a way to fix that?

I'm not getting that at all but maybe its because I'm using Nightly.

Zeppu

I was under the same impression until I actually read the doc. Back to ABS as fast as I can. I'm considering dropping pre-ICS altogether now, so tempting.

Why? I used the SupportActionBar and it's super easy to integrate and works really well. Just Fragments to SupportFragments and start calling getSupportActionBar (and a bunch of other getSupport*) and you're good to go.

Soodanim

I'm not getting that at all but maybe its because I'm using Nightly.

It seems to have stopped now, but I'm not sure why. I can't remember if there was an update or not. The cursor still doesn't like to be dragged for some reason. I don't know why Firefox even needs to use its own cursor, it causes nothing but problems.

I noticed this morning that when I scroll inside a text box (like when posting on GAF) the whole page scrolls with the box. Does that happen in the nightly builds?

The only reason I wanted to switch away from Chrome is the damn page reloading. Happens all the fucking time, and it's not needed. I lose my place in threads, which isn't that fun when you have 100ppp.

Top Bottom