• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anyone try out the Adobe tablet apps? The reviews on the store seem pretty bad, but I'm looking for a simple graphic design program.

Ideas is pretty crappy and laggy. The other ones seem pretty decent.

kehs

Banned
Question about Snes9x

Here's the download page: http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/downloads

But you'll see in the updates section, there are far more recent updates being done: http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/updates

So there are 1.3.30+ changes. But where is the downloads page to those versions? What am I missing?

Your reading glasses?

Android version 1.4.25 (Select the correct APK link based on your OS version: 1.6, 2.0 to 2.2, 2.3 and up) or install from the Market

yoorarel: http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/downloads/Snes9xEX-9-1.4.25.apk?attredirects=0

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Huh...

I even installed that one on my GN, too. Well, well.

kehs

Banned
Man, the official twitter app is really bad.

"You have a new twitter interaction" for a notification.

Really? You can't tell me what it is? You can't expound a little? Bah.

Salsa

Loving the shit out of the new read it later.

pocket_600.jpg

Darkkn

Loving the shit out of the new read it later.

pocket_600.jpg

I second this. Readability's constant syncing drove me crazy so i gave this one a try. I like it much better. Really nice that you can save articles easily on Android just from browsers share menu. It was such a pain to set up in iOS.

kehs

Banned
Hey dream, I decided to try the new and improved pocket/read it later now that's free and they still want me to sign up? What am I signing up to? Are they gonna data mine me and sell my profile to advertisers and marketing groups?

Plume, baby!

The best Twitter client I've used.

Are those ads part of the feed or are they off to the bottom?

Cause if its the former...boo

Darkkn

Hey dream, I decided to try the new and improved pocket/read it later now that's free and they still want me to sign up? What am I signing up to? Are they gonna data mine me and sell my profile to advertisers and marketing groups?

You need some kind of profile so that they can sync the articles to all devices you use. Can't be sure what they do with the data, but i would doubt that they are doing anything nefarious.

_Isaac

Yeah, that's pretty much for syncing between all your devices. You can have a bookmarklet on your regular browser on your main computer. You just click the bookmark, and it'll save the article to your list. Now you can access it from your list later on or just read it on the phone. I like it when there's an article I just can't read at the moment or if it's a tutorial I want to refer back to in the future I can just add it to Pocket instead of bookmarking it.

Mafro

Man, the official twitter app is really bad.

"You have a new twitter interaction" for a notification.

Really? You can't tell me what it is? You can't expound a little? Bah.
Yeah it's fucking awful, especially when it does that. Sometimes it says that, and other times it actually shows you the beginning of the tweet in the notification. It also annoys me how it doesn't update the interactions column in the app and you often have to do this manually.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Plume is still the best Twitter app. Needs work but the ICS update made it a ton better.

Boid is good, too. Just not as good.

Is there an app that lets me stream music to my stereo receiver, hooked up to my airport express? Airplay is is the one iphone feature that I am truly envious of.

Have they fixed the scrolling performance though? It was shocking when i tried it about a week ago. No reason not to be buttery smooth when you are supposedly following ICS design guidelines. I feel teh same way about the new Spotify beta, but that's just a beta and I expect there will be performance improvements.

Darkkn

Only thing missing from Pocket is the discovery aspect. It would be cool to see what articles are popular in categories and maybe recommendations based on personal usage etc.

No scrolling problems for me on galaxy s.

moojito

Only thing missing from Pocket is the discovery aspect. It would be cool to see what articles are popular in categories and maybe recommendations based on personal usage etc.

Sounds like stumbleupon is the droid
app
you're looking for.

tino

Banned

It's useless to me.

* Doesn't pull down comments
* Want to get online and update the page (why?), when I have no connection and want to read the offline articles, half of the articles are blank.

Dumb design

tino

Banned
Is there an app that lets me stream music to my stereo receiver, hooked up to my airport express? Airplay is is the one iphone feature that I am truly envious of.

Google's solution is ask you upload everything on google music so you can stream anywhere.

JCX

Ideas is pretty crappy and laggy. The other ones seem pretty decent.

Dang, Ideas was the one I wanted to use the most, since I have experience with Illustrator. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, +1 to the Pocket love. Nice to read long articles later on my tablet instead of on my laptop.

Mafro

Plume is still the best Twitter app. Needs work but the ICS update made it a ton better.

Boid is good, too. Just not as good.
I've tried Plume a few times, but I still don't like the UI and overall design of the app. Much prefer Tweakdeck but I can see Boid becoming my main Twitter app when they are out of Alpha and Beta.

kehs

Banned
It's useless to me.

* Doesn't pull down comments
* Want to get online and update the page (why?), when I have no connection and want to read the offline articles, half of the articles are blank.

Dumb design

Have you tried out currents? That seems like it's more inline with what you want.

http://gizmodo.com/5883721/the-top-7-android-music-apps-for-apple-airplay

Darkkn

Sounds like stumbleupon is the droid
app
you're looking for.

If it's like what it is on desktop, the content is too all over the place for this purpose. I'm just looking for a way to discover good quality, interesting long-form articles.

Is there a good app in which you can basically tie-in your social network (Facebook, Twitter, G+), and post updates ? Like I write an update/status and I can decide wether it appears on FB, Twitter, G+ or Instagram (think like when you want to upload a picture on Instagram, it asks you if you want to upload it on FB/Twitter/Foursquare too). Thanks.

jokkir

Is there a good app in which you can basically tie-in your social network (Facebook, Twitter, G+), and post updates ? Like I write an update/status and I can decide wether it appears on FB, Twitter, G+ or Instagram (think like when you want to upload a picture on Instagram, it asks you if you want to upload it on FB/Twitter/Foursquare too). Thanks.

Tweet deck let's you do that. Not sure about Google+ but it supports Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare and others. Supports multiple accounts as well

tino

Banned

My Wordpess blog and plugin let me do it. But you need to have a Wordpress blog on your website.

Bboy AJ

How well does it run on your phone?

Perfectly fine. It doesn't really use the screen space as well as it could, though. Should get rid of the on-screen buttons on ICS. It just dims them, it doesn't remove them completely.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anyone recommend a good .mp3 player app with precision rewind and fast forward capabilities? One where you can easily ff or rw only a second or two?

jokkir

Just a warning guys:

ES File Explorer for some reason messes my phone up when trying to delete files off from the SD card. I have no idea why it's happening but when I delete files, it can make your phone force close all apps and you can't fix it until you reflash a ROM (not even fixing permissions, flashing another kernel or anything fixes it)

My phone is:
Nexus S 4.0.4 deodexed
Matr1x kernel 19.0

With that said, how's Astro? I need a file explorer >__>

G17

I love ES File Explorer but I have stock ICS from Google.. I hope nothing happens. But so far I've had no issues.

Threi

notag
Just a warning guys:

ES File Explorer for some reason messes my phone up when trying to delete files off from the SD card. I have no idea why it's happening but when I delete files, it can make your phone force close all apps and you can't fix it until you reflash a ROM (not even fixing permissions, flashing another kernel or anything fixes it)

My phone is:
Nexus S 4.0.4 deodexed
Matr1x kernel 19.0

With that said, how's Astro? I need a file explorer >__>

Said it in the other thread but that has never once happened to me, and i use ES File Explorer constantly. The only thing about ES that is different is that it forces a media scan every time you delete a file.

New SwiftKey 3 Beta Now Available, Offers A Handful Of Highly-Requested Fixes
  • Improved the UI: there is now a dedicated comma key, and the <123> key is now in the bottom-left corner. And of course you still have the larger spacebar.
  • Refined the Smart Punctuation pop-up.
  • Reintroduced the Long-press duration setting.
  • Improved Smart Space functionality.
  • Further reduced lag on some devices.
  • Fixed a number of bugs, including the missing decimal point in the numpad and the "What's New" dialog popping up all the time.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...e-offers-a-handful-of-highly-requested-fixes/

stupei

Does anyone here use voice to add tasks to their calendar? Sometimes I'm in a rush and I think of something to add to my to-do list but I just don't have time to go bother going into the calendar itself. Maybe my calendar app is just too slow and I should try something else, but does anyone have a quick app that works just for adding things in a hurry? I can finesse and edit the entry later, assuming it's there for me to remember it at all.

Doopliss

Does anyone here use voice to add tasks to their calendar? Sometimes I'm in a rush and I think of something to add to my to-do list but I just don't have time to go bother going into the calendar itself. Maybe my calendar app is just too slow and I should try something else, but does anyone have a quick app that works just for adding things in a hurry? I can finesse and edit the entry later, assuming it's there for me to remember it at all.
Have you considered a to-do list app such as Tasks? It has a widget to display your list of tasks, and from which you can quickly add a new one.

Top Bottom