• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

kehs

Banned
Does anyone here use voice to add tasks to their calendar? Sometimes I'm in a rush and I think of something to add to my to-do list but I just don't have time to go bother going into the calendar itself. Maybe my calendar app is just too slow and I should try something else, but does anyone have a quick app that works just for adding things in a hurry? I can finesse and edit the entry later, assuming it's there for me to remember it at all.

I'm using Agenda Widget +. With it you can set up custom buttons that will take you straight to the calendar/gtasks/astrid/or other tasks apps to quickly add a task.

Here's my set up: There's a "hidden" button on the bottom right area of the agenda widget tile (opacity set to zero).

From here, if you press Google it takes straight to a new item to add in the calendar. Likewise for Astrid/gtasks.

Screenshot_2012-05-04-13-15-20.png

stupei

Have you considered a to-do list app such as Tasks? It has a widget to display your list of tasks, and from which you can quickly add a new one.

I already use OmniFocus for most of my major projects that require multiple steps or much of a time sink -- unfortunately it doesn't integrate with Android obviously but it works across my iPad, iMac, and Macbook -- but sometimes I just want a quick reminder to call someone about something or to email a few photos. Things like that I usually add to my calendar so that it pops up at the end of the work day about when I'm arriving home. My google calendar also syncs with a separate application on my computers that I can access with a quick hotkey and immediately add reminders for later, so it's incredibly convenient. It's only when I'm out and about that adding a useful reminder becomes much slower -- and therefor far less likely to actually happen.

Unfortunately almost all the solutions I've found have involved a separate task management app, when really all I want is a faster means of adding calendar reminders.

Zeppu

I like Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, World of Goo, and the like. I am also bored of flinging things to break/kill other things.

What else should I get?

SimleuqiR

Make sure you keep this app far an away from your girlfriends GAF....far and way!

You can also chat, share sketches, share your location, and even let your partner know that you're thinking of them with just the push of a button.

Pair’s iPhone and Android apps are identical, down to a feature called “thumb kiss” that vibrates when both parties touch the same spot on the screen. Couples can also co-create drawings, maintain a joint to-do list and send a “thinking of you” message that works like a more thoughtful Facebook poke.

SimleuqiR

I'm sooo jelly!

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/google-mobile-app-with-sense-and-soul.html

iPhones get it first!!

The end result—we hope—is an app that brings you closer to the people you care about, and the stuff you’re into; an app with sense and soul. But please, give it a go and let us know what you think. The iPhone update is rolling out now to the App Store (version 2.0.0.5888), and the Android update is coming in a few weeks (with a few extra surprises).

Beautiful app!!

ios7.png

ios2.png

ios1.png

I think this might be the best looking Google app ever?

ios4.png

ios6.png

SimleuqiR

The hilarity of Google+ releasing on iPhone prior to Android should not be lost on anyone.

I feel like punching someone. I need to find someone near me that's using an iPhone.

Welp, iPhone users were very vocal (not happy) when the original app came to their platform. Why should Google ignore one of the largest userbases in the world? That said, maybe the extra features for the Android app are not ready for prime time and they need some extra time to iron out the bugs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why should Google ignore one of the largest userbases in the world?

Because they're wankers? These are the same people outraged that Android users got Instagram. They deserve nothing. None of Google's apps, and they should feel privileged they get anything at all.

SimleuqiR

Because they're wankers? These are the same people outraged that Android users got Instagram. They deserve nothing. None of Google's apps, and they should feel privileged they get anything at all.

eeehh, Ok. I see where you are coming from, BUT - iOS is a lucrative platform. Google would be insane not to put their best effort in catering to it, to the extend of their services.

In the end all of their Android apps will still have more or better functionality built into them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm incredibly salty right now but still in high spirits, for anyone that may read too literally into that post. :p

I am looking forward to "a few extra surprises."

Donos

What? That's like the "Mass Effect to PS3? Noooo" shit. I don't understand hardcore fanboys.

They obviously should release it on iOS, but before Android? That just shows bad strategy and planning from Google. Makes a mockery of their own OS if it doesn't look like the priority. Stupid from the PR point of view, too.

quaere

I need to endorse Waze here.

Google Navigation is usually solid enough when there's no traffic. But it's clueless about getting optimal routes. Not only did it send me on the exact same route every day on my commute, without fail and no matter what the traffic conditions were, there are times when the route I suspect will be the quickest doesn't even show up when I manually bring up the alternates.

Then I got CoPilot Live for $20 on the Market, which succeeds in detecting traffic and routing me around it. But it's not so great at estimating how long alternate routes will take, especially those with a lot of local streets. I've been rerouted on trips I'm pretty sure took longer than the original.

Now, Waze. It's free. I get the exact optimal route every day. The ETAs are almost always right to within 3 minutes or so on a ~35 minute drive. I can see exactly how fast a traffic jam will move before I even get to it. It warns me of speed traps. It can search for points of interest on Google, Bing, Yelp, and Foursquare, at the same time. Plus it's cool to see the other Waze cars on your map and the various other community/social features.

Still some rough edges but this is already the best navigation app for your commute by far.

_Isaac

I need to endorse Waze here.

Google Navigation is usually solid enough when there's no traffic. But it's clueless about getting optimal routes. Not only did it send me on the exact same route every day on my commute, without fail and no matter what the traffic conditions were, there are times when the route I suspect will be the quickest doesn't even show up when I manually bring up the alternates.

Then I got CoPilot Live for $20 on the Market, which succeeds in detecting traffic and routing me around it. But it's not so great at estimating how long alternate routes will take, especially those with a lot of local streets. I've been rerouted on trips I'm pretty sure took longer than the original.

Now, Waze. It's free. I get the exact optimal route every day. The ETAs are almost always right to within 3 minutes or so on a ~35 minute drive. I can see exactly how fast a traffic jam will move before I even get to it. It warns me of speed traps. It can search for points of interest on Google, Bing, Yelp, and Foursquare, at the same time. Plus it's cool to see the other Waze cars on your map and the various other community/social features.

Still some rough edges but this is already the best navigation app for your commute by far.

Where do you live that this app works so well for you?

MickD

I've used Business Calendar, Go Calendar, Agenda Widget. Hate em, Business Calendar

All I want is a minimal widget that syncs to Google Calendar. Transparent background. Any suggestions?

JoeFu

Banned
Flipboard seems real cool but it doesn't work right on my GNex. I can't flip up without it going like crazy. It keeps flipping between the last two pages and going to random articles when I click something. Hope an official release comes out soon for all devices.

How can I sync outlook events to my google/android calendar?

I just saw I can import the calendar from outlook but is there a way to set it so that it imports on a real time basis?

Mafro

Flipboard seems real cool but it doesn't work right on my GNex. I can't flip up without it going like crazy. It keeps flipping between the last two pages and going to random articles when I click something. Hope an official release comes out soon for all devices.
Same thing happens to me with the flipping on my GNex.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I've used Business Calendar, Go Calendar, Agenda Widget. Hate em, Business Calendar

All I want is a minimal widget that syncs to Google Calendar. Transparent background. Any suggestions?

I think Simple Calendar is what you want. Its just a widget though, not a calendar app. I am using Business Calendar and its pretty simple:

pP7Ku.png

Looking for some advice on a great epub reader program, and the best program for cbz and cbr reading. I have tried a handful of free apps but none have really worked as smoothly as the iBooks program on my iPad or the default Nook reader that came with my nook color before I flashed full android on it

Is the Google Play Store app linking to the wrong store with the 99 cent Movie Collection on the main page? I click it and it takes me to the music section before auto closing.

Salsa

flipboard implementing pocket in a much better way than other apps/browsers/etc = bliss

probably the best app combo ever. Ive been away all afternoon and i passed my time flipping through flipboard recomendations and saving stuff to read later in the easiest way possible.

kehs

Banned
flipboard implementing pocket in a much better way than other apps/browsers/etc = bliss

probably the best app combo ever. Ive been away all afternoon and i passed my time flipping through flipboard recomendations and saving stuff to read later in the easiest way possible.
Flipboard uses pocket?

Laterception.

kehs

Banned
I'm getting tired of ics+ closing on me.

Chrome team: I demand you implement quick controls in favor of tab switching.

-Copernicus

Top Bottom