• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

3phemeral

So what setup do you guys use to stream videos from your pc to your phone/tablet. Both connected to same network.

I've actually never tried this, would be good to see what setups people. I've always just transferred it via SD card to my transformer.

Biff

Just got a GS3, looking to transfer all my GS1 apps over. Preferably with all the save files too.

Anyway I can do this without redownloading everything on my new phone? Hoping for a one-stop shop app that will do this!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I was waiting for I/O to update the op again, but at this point there's just so many apps on the list, that adding to it is just going to keep bloating it. I'd like to cut down on the overall size of it, but I'm not sure whether to get rid of some apps, or consolidate it differently.

Any ideas?

reKon

Banned
I was waiting for I/O to update the op again, but at this point there's just so many apps on the list, that adding to it is just going to keep bloating it. I'd like to cut down on the overall size of it, but I'm not sure whether to get rid of some apps, or consolidate it differently.

Any ideas?

Have no idea, but you should add the app DataSync

SimleuqiR

Any ideas?

Do what Andrex does and open up a Google Docs that Gaffes can contribute to..so it could be easier to update and maintain.

We could all brain storm how it could be formated too.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I was referring to spreadsheets. You can have one spreadsheet for a list for all news apps. One spreadsheet photo editing apps, etc.,

We can even have the top gaf apps for particular categories.

Good idea. I'll whip something up soon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Listen and Music need serious work.

Music is fine (although not amazing in any way). At least it's updated to ICS design standards. Listen is just awful. It looks like crap, mostly works like crap, and... ah, it's just so obvious that Google doesn't give a shit about that app. I'd use something else, but I enjoy the 1:1 sync between it and Google Reader.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, Google has really improved the desktop interface on the Play store. Now you can not only remotely install apps on your phone from there, but also update or uninstall them. Also, the "My Android Apps" section (or whatever it's called in English) has been divided into two sections: one containing the apps currently installed on your phone (with the apps having an update available listed first), and another containing the rest of your "library" (basically everything you've ever installed). No longer is it all one huge unorganized mess (although I still miss the ability to sort apps based on different criteria). Managing apps from your computer just became a whole lot more convenient!

m5wBO.png

RJT

Wow, Google has really improved the desktop interface on the Play store. Now you can not only remotely install apps on your phone from there, but also update or uninstall them.

That's pretty cool. I hate to do app management on the phone, will probably use that feature a lot.

VanWinkle

Is there a site detailing apps that are designed for Android 4.0 by any chance? I hate the design of older Android apps, but I absolutely love the new Holo stuff.

tino

Banned
I got diceplayer yesterday but accessing SMB is slow as fuck for some reason. So now i use CifsManager to mount the SMB to device and it's working perfectly.

It access my NAS faster than my W7 laptop. The problem wiith cifs is not many ROM support it. And foreign file name may cause crash.

Mr_Zombie

Also, the "My Android Apps" section (or whatever it's called in English) has been divided into two sections: one containing the apps currently installed on your phone (with the apps having an update available listed first), and another containing the rest of your "library" (basically everything you've ever installed).

Is there a way to remove apps from the "library"? Right now I have about 140 apps there. Most of them I've installed just once to try them or no longer plan to install them, ever. I don't like them cluttering the library.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there a way to remove apps from the "library"? Right now I have about 140 apps there. Most of them I've installed just once to try them or no longer plan to install them, ever. I don't like them cluttering the library.

Nope, unfortunately not. It's essentially your "app history" rather than a proper library. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but I wish there was a dedicated section for purchased apps (or sorting options to quickly find them). It's a bit annoying having to go through all those pages of free apps I've only tried once to find the ones I've actually payed for but haven't yet installed.

What I also find pretty annoying is that I can't delete old devices. My account has four phones listed, only one of which I still own. This, too, feels like unnecessary clutter, since I know for a fact I'll never see those phones again (one was lost, one was exchanged for a new one, etc.). Sure, I can set it up so that only the one I actually own shows up in the store, but that sometimes resets for me so that all of them show up and I have to select the correct one to install to.

EDIT: Hmm, just read that devices are removed from your account after a year of not being used. Just gonna have to wait a bit longer then, I guess.

Can anyone recommend a good widget for toggling wifi, Bluetooth, and 4G?

Having gone from CM9 to JB on my LTE GN, I'm missing the option in the pull-down menu, so a good widget would be the second-best thing. I find the Android Power Control widget way too big and ugly.

54-46!

Goddamnit, the new "Offline maps" update for Google maps doesn't include Japan..

How much does Maps cache without that feature? should I pick another app for my map needs while I'm there?

Futureman

so when I search Pocket on the Play Store, there's "Pocket - formerly Read It Later" and "Pocket" by Tim Clark... I think it's the 2nd one that everyone uses, right?

makes me wonder... is there any system in place where two apps can't have the same name? or is that just a general trademark issue thing?

so when I search Pocket on the Play Store, there's "Pocket - formerly Read It Later" and "Pocket" by Tim Clark... I think it's the 2nd one that everyone uses, right?

makes me wonder... is there any system in place where two apps can't have the same name? or is that just a general trademark issue thing?

There is no system for apps having the same name at least not afaik. Take a look at how many are named "tip calculator" for instance:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=tip+calculator&c=apps

I mean I'm sure some popular apps probably have some legal trademark that can be enforced though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey all, I know this is more of the App thread, but I'm trying to breathe more life into my Droid X for another few months. What's the current best ROM for it? I have Apex now, and it's decent but really starts to slow down over time.

Futureman

another question. is there an alternative to Light Flow? $2.50 to change some lights seems too high. Blah blah blah "Android users don't pay for apps" but this would be a no brainer at $0.99 for me.

seems weird my G Nex has this awesome multi-colored light on the front and ICS gives you no way to do anything with it. Something like Lightflow should be built into the OS.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Was thinking about that, but whenever I click "Download the latest version of Cyanogen Mod" it takes me to the download page and under Droid X says "None at this time."

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Latest_Version#Motorola_Droid_X

I know they had been working on a version for the X, but do they have a stable build ready?

EDIT: Might have found one elsewhere. Any way to get the rom file to my SD card if I don't have my cable with me? Can I put it in dropbox and somehow save it to my SD?

Top Bottom