• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Ocho

Feedr can download thousands of feeds automatically for offline viewing, with proper photo cached.

My point was that I was only dishing Feedly. I have never used Feedr, but sounds like a decent client. If I weren't completely satisfied with gReader Pro I would try it for use. ;)

moojito

Yeah, just tried flipboard. I'd been put off with all the negative vibes when it came out, but it really has a lovely interface.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pulse > Flipboard

You get more data surfaced at a time than flipboard.

Naw bro. I just downloaded Flipboard to my EVO LTE and it's a beast. I don't need 12 different things to look at, at a time. And it's soooo buttery smooth.

Tendo

So i have a 7inch tablet and im interested in swiftkey3 but im hearing mixed things on 7inch. Any experiemce? Also hesitant as it isnt working properly with polaris office right now.

kehs

Banned
So the new season of tv shows are starting up. Anyone using anything to keep track of new episodes, preferably with reminders/integration into calendar?

RJM77

So the new season of tv shows are starting up. Anyone using anything to keep track of new episodes, preferably with reminders/integration into calendar?

I'm looking for the same thing. TV Guide used to add series reminders to your google calendar but it doesn't anymore and hasn't been updated in quite a while. When it worked it was perfect.

besiktas1

TV Show favs does all the tracking and syncing with To Do's etc. but no sync to calender. I love the app my self.

PaulLFC

Are there any RSS reader apps that can format and display entire articles for sites like Eurogamer that usually just have one or two sentences with a "Read more" link that opens the webpage in a browser? I hate when sites do that, it defeats the point of a mobile-formatted RSS reader in my opinion.

jokkir

Just tried it. Stock ICS browser still seems a lot faster and Google Mobile is ugly. See:

bNSsg.png
Yaraw.png

(Firefox left, stock right)

I'll probably have more impressions later unless I go straight back to the stock browser.

zbeeb

Just tried it. Stock ICS browser still seems a lot faster and Google Mobile is ugly. See:

bNSsg.png
Yaraw.png

(Firefox left, stock right)

I'll probably have more impressions later unless I go straight back to the stock browser.

Firefox for Android devs explained this in an AMA on Reddit - something about Google using custom scripts that work on select browsers and default to stock (ugly) mobile Google for the rest. Unfortunately there's nothing they can do about it till Google makes some changes to the mobile site.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just tried it as well. Went back to Dolphin. Works just as well and I dont need to find a dozen plugins to add all the features that are not there included.

_RT_

can we talk about launchers?
What do people use and why?

I'm currently using ADW Launcher, but was looking at other options.

SimleuqiR

Nova Launcher - Why? It's based on the stock ICS launcher and adds all the goodies you've come to expect from other launchers (gestures, custom icons, hide-notification-bar, transition effects, etc).

jokkir

Apex Launcher. ICS Launcher, lots of features, and find it faster than Nova Launcher. You need 4.0+ though to use it, IIRC

kehs

Banned
It's not automatic but I just filter out the shows I watch on

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

And download the iCal file and import into a Google Calendar. Primitive but it works.

I'll give that a shot, though I'm not sure I'll be able to keep it up, I'm so lazy.
TV Show favs does all the tracking and syncing with To Do's etc. but no sync to calender. I love the app my self.

tv show favs? It has a nice widget. Dunno about calendar intergration.

I actually used this while he was doing the beta, I think I stopped when he went paid, maybe I'll stop being cheap and buy it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It is weird how difficult it seems to be to make a good podcast app. None of the ones I have tried have been awesome for me. Currently on the free version of BeyondPod, and it is pretty good, though I don't love the SmartPlay.

Hey bros. I just a got a TF300 tab today (had a Gamestop $50 gift card, and they were offering a $25 gift card with it, so I figured I might as well go for it).

What is a launcher and do I need one? Mostly I've found a few neat apps from my sister's suggestion, this thread and just searching around on the store. Also, what are some basic things I should know that might not be easily figured out? I've never even had a smartphone before.

r1chard

What is a launcher and do I need one? Mostly I've found a few neat apps from my sister's suggestion, this thread and just searching around on the store. Also, what are some basic things I should know that might not be easily figured out?
You probably don't need one - you're looking at a launcher when you turn the thing on and unlock. After you've used the tablet for a while have a look around though and perhaps you may discover an alternative launcher that has a feature you're missing from the stock launcher :)

I'm running stock ICS launcher on my Nexus S phone and TF201 tablet, and I've previously run GO Launcher EX. I have found the Nexus S to be much, much snappier when not using GO.

As for what you're not figuring out - I dunno. You know about the Android Gaming thread, right? Stop all these thoughts of launchers and head over to where the fun's at :)

tino

Banned
How to request refund on an app beyond the 15 min period

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-get-refund-app-google-play-beyond-15-minute-time-window

GETTING THE APP REFUND

1. Head to Google Play Account page. Once logged in, the url is https://play.google.com/store/account

2. Under the Options column, click on the Report a problem link for the app you want refunded.

3. From the Select an option drop down menu, select I'd like to request a refund.

4. Fill out the reason you want a refund and hit the Send Report button.

That's all there is to it.

Can anyone recommend some good Android only apps? Or at least some apps that are better on Android than iOS? I just got my Galaxy Nexus and I want to try out something that'll really show off the difference between it and my iPhone.

Cudder

Can anyone recommend some good Android only apps? Or at least some apps that are better on Android than iOS? I just got my Galaxy Nexus and I want to try out something that'll really show off the difference between it and my iPhone.

Well I guess you can start with the whole suite of Google apps. They're infinitely better on Android than iOS. (Youtube, Gmail, etc.)

tino

Banned

Titanium backup. Notification Toggle, Go launcher, google voice, stickit, google music, tasker, google map

reKon

Banned
Thanks for that, downloading most of those now.

If you ever get another android device or want to share with someone else who has their own device, get Data Sync.

The app basically allows you to download cloud save data really quickly. Because of this app I can in less than 10 seconds upload my game save data from angry birds to my HP Touchpad that's running Android on it and pick up where I left off. It works well for 90% of the games I have. You can also share any other file that's on your device via Wi-Fi/FTP and it supports dropbox/box.

Speaking of dropbox, you should get that because you can instantly upload your Galaxy Nexus pics to it (similar to iCloud) and have access to your pictures from any Android device your signed into via dropbox.

Top Bottom