• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

iavi

Submarino Conversível;39524966 said:
Just activated Google Play Music here (I'm outside de US).

Do you guys use the Google App or is there any better?

No other apps can access Google Music atm. Unfortunately.

I don't know of any Readability support but many support other mobilizers.

Yep. Good News was my suggestion. It's my favorite and I JUST combed through RSS apps. I can only speak to nice UI and offline syncing. That was my main criteria.

I've tried Good News and I'm happy for now. The UI is still a bit cluttered and I can't find the mobilizer option, but at least it's not ugly.

I must say I find it a bit ridiculous that after 5 years, there doesn't seem to be a Google Reader app that really stands out or can match Reeder on iOS. On a Google platform nonetheless.

tino

Banned
I've tried Good News and I'm happy for now. The UI is still a bit cluttered and I can't find the mobilizer option, but at least it's not ugly.

I must say I find it a bit ridiculous that after 5 years, there doesn't seem to be a Google Reader app that really stands out or can match Reeder on iOS. On a Google platform nonetheless.

There are, not on the look department though.

Have you tried installing Pocket (formerly Readitlater) and share your article through Pocket?

Nowadays I just save the article offline through ICS Broswer +.

Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me AHUAHUAHUAHUHA :>

There are, not on the look department though.

Have you tried installing Pocket (formerly Readitlater) and share your article through Pocket?

Nowadays I just save the article offline through ICS Broswer +.

I don't want any offline reading. I have no need for that.

I want to open the app, see the "all articles" list with my 100+ unread articles per hour,
scroll through the headlines, read the few articles I'm interested in, without having to open the actual homepage and then close then damn thing again.

No Pocket, Instapaper, offline saving or anything. I never read anything later. Just what I mentioned + an interface that is not cluttered or annoying.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Settings, News Reading, Mobilize Websites.

Blackhead

Redarse
I installed Good News as well but it doesn't seem to be able to save articles to Instapaper?

GoodNews has the share feature. If you have bought and installed the official Instapaper app, or any of the free 'send to instapaper' alternatives, then you can tap on the share button and save articles to Instapaper. It works nicely.

Pachimari

GoodNews has the share feature. If you have bought and installed the official Instapaper app, or any of the free 'send to instapaper' alternatives, then you can tap on the share button and save articles to Instapaper. It works nicely.

I couldn't seem to find it but I'll just try again when it's finished charging.

Menaged

Is there an app for finding lyrics for a song that I'm playing?
Or do I need to do it the old fashioned way and just find it on the internet?

Blackhead

Redarse
I couldn't seem to find it but I'll just try again when it's finished charging.
The first icon in the action bar. you shouldn't miss it.
Is there an app for finding lyrics for a song that I'm playing?
Or do I need to do it the old fashioned way and just find it on the internet?
tunewiki! But the music companies are a pain in the ass :? Soundhound is another option I guess...

Edit: Playerpro does what you want.
I found that, but I opened an article from the Verge and it didn't load the full article and I can't find a way to activate the mobilizer.

If you've found a bug, try emailing the developers of the app. They are quite responsive

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I found that, but I opened an article from the Verge and it didn't load the full article and I can't find a way to activate the mobilizer.
Did you open the article by clicking the article header? Or continue reading at the end of the article? The header works for me.

Bboy AJ

Good News, ugh. EasyRSS is the one to go for.
Doesn't follow Holo so stuff like pulling up and down to move through articles is strange to me. I like it enough on my iPad, though.

Did you open the article by clicking the article header? Or continue reading at the end of the article? The header works for me.
I went into my all items list (tapped on the arrow), selected the article and it only loads the short version. When I tap on the header, it asks me to select an item tag.
Doesn't follow Holo so stuff like pulling up and down to move through articles is strange to me. I like it enough on my iPad, though.
I don't really mind if an app doesn't follow the guidelines that closely. Flipboard is one of the better looking apps and doesn't look anything like Holo or iOS.

womp

I went into my all items list (tapped on the arrow), selected the article and it only loads the short version. When I tap on the header, it asks me to select an item tag.

I don't really mind if an app doesn't follow the guidelines that closely. Flipboard is one of the better looking apps and doesn't look anything like Holo or iOS.

If you like reading through your RSS feeds one single screen at a time I guess...Otherwise I find Flipboard to be the biggest waste of screen space and functionality, I just don't get the hype. It's polished enough, however I think it works better on a tablet. Perhaps some day they will do a Flipboard for Android tablets that matches the iPad experience, until then? I think Feedly is superior if you want a similar 'magazine' style RSS reader.

Myself? I don't see what everyone's beef is with Google Reader...constantly synced, super fast...No BS. I just wish it had a dark theme. Then again, I'll take functionality over "OOOh it's so preeetty!" any day of the week. As a second pick I would have to go with Reader HD, which works fabulous on my ASUS Transformer.

tino

Banned
I don't want any offline reading. I have no need for that.

I want to open the app, see the "all articles" list with my 100+ unread articles per hour,
scroll through the headlines, read the few articles I'm interested in, without having to open the actual homepage and then close then damn thing again.

No Pocket, Instapaper, offline saving or anything. I never read anything later. Just what I mentioned + an interface that is not cluttered or annoying.

Ok, can you tell me whats wrong with the official google reader app?

kehs

Banned
brot: have you tried using pulse?

I'm not sure how well it plays with google reader content, but I find it much better than something like flipboard where you have to scroll story by story.

Pachimari

By the way, GoodNews crashes but I think that have more to do with me running Jelly Bean and the app not being optimized for it yet?

Google Reader is a little bit of pain to me. Compared to Reeder on iOS, I am not able to swipe left to save to Instapaper and I'm not able to swipe right to mark that individual story as read. In fact, when I have to mark them all as read, I have to go into the drop-down menu, tap 'mark all as read' and then confirm it = 3 steps, while in reader it's just 1 step.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Submarino Conversível;39524966 said:
Just activated Google Play Music here (I'm outside de US).

Do you guys use the Google App or is there any better?

How did you do that? Proxy? I really want Google Music, but I'm a bit apprehensive doing that with my main Google account since circumventing the geographic restriction is a violation of the TOS.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How did you do that? Proxy? I really want Google Music, but I'm a bit apprehensive doing that with my main Google account since circumventing the geographic restriction is a violation of the TOS.

I just used hotspot shield. It only checks your location when you sign up, so you can access it freely any time after that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just used hotspot shield. It only checks your location when you sign up, so you can access it freely any time after that.

Yeah, I know, but it still violates the TOS. I doubt they'd actually take action against anyone doing it (don't believe they ever have?), but they could shut your account down for it. That remote possibility is why I still haven't been able to convice myself that it's perfectly safe.

kehs

Banned
Yeah, I know, but it still violates the TOS. I doubt they'd actually take action against anyone doing it (don't believe they ever have?), but they could shut your account down for it. That remote possibility is why I still haven't been able to convice myself that it's perfectly safe.

Set up your music under a second account.

If you like reading through your RSS feeds one single screen at a time I guess...Otherwise I find Flipboard to be the biggest waste of screen space and functionality, I just don't get the hype. It's polished enough, however I think it works better on a tablet. Perhaps some day they will do a Flipboard for Android tablets that matches the iPad experience, until then? I think Feedly is superior if you want a similar 'magazine' style RSS reader.

Myself? I don't see what everyone's beef is with Google Reader...constantly synced, super fast...No BS. I just wish it had a dark theme. Then again, I'll take functionality over "OOOh it's so preeetty!" any day of the week. As a second pick I would have to go with Reader HD, which works fabulous on my ASUS Transformer.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use Flipboard on a phone or as Google Reader app. For me, Flipboard is a neat discovery app and something I use to read longer articles or reviews from the Verge on my iPad. I just wanted to point out that apps don't have to follow the UI guidelines of a platform to look good. Sorry that I wasted your time.

It's ugly and doesn't have mobilizer support as far as I can tell.

Seriously, how hard is it to basically just copy this?

l8YQ0.jpg

Simple list interface, shows me the headlines with a time stamp and great working readability support (at least on the iPad). No need to open the websites at all. If readability doesn't work with a site (didn't work with Neowin for a while), then screw that site until it works again.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Well I went a step further and bought some songs off the US music site with a virtual visa with a random US address and they suspended by wallet because they thought there was fraud or something involved. Once I explained what happened, they unsuspended it. So if that doesn't get my account shutdown, I don't think they'll shut down yours.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Set up your music under a second account.

I've already done that just to try it out, but with no access to my music from my phone (on which I have to use my main account for obvious reasons), what's the point? That's why I would use it, not for playing music on my computer on which I already have it stored locally. So I guess that leaves streaming music to other computers, but I don't think that would happen all that often.

Well I went a step further and bought some songs off the US music site with a virtual visa with a random US address and they suspended by wallet because they thought there was fraud or something involved. Once I explained what happened, they unsuspended it. So if that doesn't get my account shutdown, I don't think they'll shut down yours.

Oh, cool. No, doesn't sound like they really care if people outside the US use workarounds to get access to Music then.

kehs

Banned
I've already done that just to try it out, but with no access to my music from my phone (on which I have to use my main account for obvious reasons), what's the point? That's why I would use it, not for playing music on my computer on which I already have it stored locally. So I guess that leaves streaming music to other computers, but I don't think that would happen all that often.

You can add more than one account on the phone. From there you can sync music from the second account.

tino

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I don't use Flipboard on a phone or as Google Reader app. For me, Flipboard is a neat discovery app and something I use to read longer articles or reviews from the Verge on my iPad. I just wanted to point out that apps don't have to follow the UI guidelines of a platform to look good. Sorry that I wasted your time.

l8YQ0.jpg

Simple list interface, shows me the headlines with a time stamp and great working readability support (at least on the iPad). No need to open the websites at all. If readability doesn't work with a site (didn't work with Neowin for a while), then screw that site until it works again.

I dont know why you keep bringing up readability/Mobilizer. Openning the article in a lot of browsers such as Opera Mini is a hell lot simpler.

I rather you just stick with the irrational reason like ugliness.

I dont know why you keep bringing up readability/Mobilizer. Openning the article in a lot of browsers such as Opera Mini is a hell lot simpler.

I rather you just stick with the irrational reason like ugliness.

Really? You don't get how I don't want to switch between apps just to read few lines of an article and move on? I already explained how I use my reader.

• Open "all unread items"
  • Scroll through the headlines
  • Read an article I'm interested in
  • Back to the list

and when I'm done
  • tap on "mark all as read"

And I can do all that within the app. No need to switch back and forth or to open any web pages.

It's quick, easy and saves data.

And there's nothing irrational about calling an app ugly. I don't like how it looks, so I don't want to use it. Would you buy a car that doesn't suit your taste?

tino

Banned
I was more making a comment on the mobilizer bit. Openning a browser and go back doesnt require more clicks. You click to open and press back to go back to the rss reader. Plus I usually want to read article comments. Whats the significance of mobilizer?

I will give you about the look of the app.

I was more making a comment on the mobilizer bit. Openning a browser and go back doesnt require more clicks. You click to open and press back to go back to the rss reader. Plus I usually want to read article comments. Whats the significance of mobilizer?

We just use our reader differently then, no biggie. I'm only interested in the text of the articles. No pictures, no comments, just the actual news. Depending on the news, it takes me half a minute to read it and I move on to the next article. So getting the full content in text form without anything else, as quickly as possible is pretty important to me. If there are longer articles I want to read later (like that "How carriers are holding back innovation" article on the Verge), then I'll just star it and read it later on Flipboard on my iPad, when I'm back at home.

NawidA

Banned

l8YQ0.jpg

Pretty difficult. I dunno why people think good developers like Tapbots and the Reeder guy just cooked that up overnight.

kehs

Banned
Does anyone know how Cloud Print works, like on a technical level?

I just printed to my local printer from my phone app without installing any software on any computer inside the network whatsoever, and I'm confused as shit, and also a little worried about how it's actually getting inside the network.

Blackhead

Redarse
I am currently designing my own Android twitter app. It's not that hard that you should fail as badly as the current crop have.

I'm all for user critiques of apps but claiming you can do better before you've even found a coder is braggadocio to the extreme. Ship then speak. When you find someone willing to implement your custom twitter interface be sure to ask him/her just how difficult that task is and share it with us.

Pachimari

I actually found it annoying, that GoodNews send me into the browser to read the full article instead of just expanding the text into the full article within the app.

Bboy AJ

It doesn't offline sync, there's no mobilizer.

By the way, GoodNews crashes but I think that have more to do with me running Jelly Bean and the app not being optimized for it yet?

Google Reader is a little bit of pain to me. Compared to Reeder on iOS, I am not able to swipe left to save to Instapaper and I'm not able to swipe right to mark that individual story as read. In fact, when I have to mark them all as read, I have to go into the drop-down menu, tap 'mark all as read' and then confirm it = 3 steps, while in reader it's just 1 step.
Is it? I always thought there was a check to mark all as read. Maybe I'm confusing it with GoodNews.

Pretty difficult. I dunno why people think good developers like Tapbots and the Reeder guy just cooked that up overnight.
Well, their design is already out there. Can't be too hard to just emulate what they're doing. The road has been paved.

I actually found it annoying, that GoodNews send me into the browser to read the full article instead of just expanding the text into the full article within the app.
Use the internal browser. Click on the header while viewing the article.

Bboy AJ

That's what I'm doing but it have to load the whole website, compared to Reeder which only serves you the full text. :)

Use the Mobilizer. I've found mobilize me or whatever the second option is to be the best.

Top Bottom