• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Danj

What's the best mkv player? Stock app won't play the audio for some of my files :(

What's the minimum phone/CPU you need to be able to play back 720p H.264 MKVs smoothly? I have an LG Optimus 2X which has Tegra 2 and is DivX certified so it does play MKVs, but it can't quite cope with 720p ones.

tino

Banned
It's a bunch of albums, but each one would have it's own page basically. I'm not expecting ultra coder stuff, I mean, I'm still coding each page with html in notepad.

If your website is on wordpress there are plenty of plugin/extensions that can do it.

Chopper

So, what should I be using? Opera Mini, or Opera Mobile? I can't really tell the difference, but I hate the way Opera Mobile handles Google.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, what should I be using? Opera Mini, or Opera Mobile? I can't really tell the difference, but I hate the way Opera Mobile handles Google.

Opera Mobile is a full-fledged web browser. It downloads the data and renders the page on your phone just like any other browser. Opera Mini uses a server to compress pages (up to 90% according to Opera) before they get sent to your phone, which means you download less data. Useful if you have a slow connection or a very limiting data cap, but what you receive will be of lower quality and lack certain features you get with the "full" web on Mobile. If you've got the connection for it, go for Mobile.

Chopper

Opera Mobile is a full-fledged web browser. It downloads the data and renders the page on your phone just like any other browser. Opera Mini uses a server to compress pages (up to 90% according to Opera) before they get sent to your phone, which means you download less data. Useful if you have a slow connection or a very limiting data cap, but what you receive will be of lower quality and lack certain features you get with the "full" web on Mobile. If you've got the connection for it, go for Mobile.
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

fbi

Banned
Just upgraded my galaxy 7.7 to ics. Its like a whole new device. Can someone recommend me a decent ftp client

pYXLe.png

xxczx

Just upgraded my galaxy 7.7 to ics. Its like a whole new device. Can someone recommend me a decent ftp client
My ROM came with ES File Explorer installed, it's pretty decent so I've not had to search for any other apps.

Nerdy Fergy

Neo Member
Is there a way that I can respond to texts through my pc? I feel like there used to be an app I used for this a long time ago, but I cannot recall what it was.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there a way that I can respond to texts through my pc? I feel like there used to be an app I used for this a long time ago, but I cannot recall what it was.
Yeah, Airdroid is my go-to app for that (and it can do much more than just answer texts; you get access to pretty much your whole phone from the desktop interface).

Ecto311

Doesn't mighty text do That? I have it installed and it shows txt and calls on the screen. Pretty sure it allows reply too from the computer. I can also place calls from the computer and they dial out on my android.

Boken

Banned
Which have you used? I used Bacon and I dislike a lot about it.

I've used Bacon and Reddit is Fun. Bacon was by far the worst - no ICS theme and there was wasted space everywhere (the giant out of line Go to Link button drove me mad). RiF is more compact looking but having to tap twice to get to comments is a pet peeve I have.

By far the best part of Reddit News is that it loads both the link and comments at the same time and it allows you to seamlessly swap between them. Try it out for 10 minutes and you'll probably agree with me.

I've used Bacon and Reddit is Fun. Bacon was by far the worst - no ICS theme and there was wasted space everywhere (the giant out of line Go to Link button drove me mad). RiF is more compact looking but having to tap twice to get to comments is a pet peeve I have.

By far the best part of Reddit News is that it loads both the link and comments at the same time and it allows you to seamlessly swap between them. Try it out for 10 minutes and you'll probably agree with me.

That swapping between the story and comments with by sliding that bar are brilliant. I don't really use Reddit much, but I started to read it occasionally as I really liked the app and paid for it to remove the ad (I'm nice like that).

warhead

Is there any music player app out there that automatically pauses the music when someone calls you? Both DoubleTwist and PlayerPro seem to lack this feature which often leads to me missing calls.

Pecan1

Banned
Maybe this isn't the best place to ask this

but I am wondering if I buy a subscription to a magazine and I get both digital and print copies of the magazine, will I be able to access it somehow with Google Play Magazines?

I'm in Europe, no Google Music for us. I can probably find the apk somewhere but how is it as a player if you're not able to use the Google Music features?

Works pretty well with local files. It does its best to hide the difference.

You only need to -sign up- to Google Music in the states to use it, after that, no geolock. Now, sticking your Google account through a proxy isn't particularly good web safety, so don't do it like that. So if you found a way of signing up on a US connection, then get the apk, it'll work with streaming too.

kehs

Banned
Is there any music player app out there that automatically pauses the music when someone calls you? Both DoubleTwist and PlayerPro seem to lack this feature which often leads to me missing calls.

That's crazy. I've only used winamp/pandora/gmusic and they all pause or at least lower the volume when another notification comes in.

Try emailing the developers, cause that's a pretty standard thing that should be in every music player.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Aside from the forementioned Mighty Text, there's also browsertexting which is pretty good since you don't need to open a tab to use it. You can just access it through a Chrome extension button.

Pachimari

Thanks, this'll be interesting to try out. Already got the Chrome extension installed and the app on the phone, just need to scan the QR code of the extension and I'm set I guess.

rc213

Anyone have any suggestions for Syncing from my GSIII to my PC?

I was using SyncToy with my GSII but GSIII no longer uses MASS STORAGE so need something new. I just want to BACKUP/SYNC specific directories to my PC like DCIM/Pictures, Downloads, Instagram, Music.

Forgot to add Cloud backups are not practical as I take way too many pictures/1080P video.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm in Europe, no Google Music for us. I can probably find the apk somewhere but how is it as a player if you're not able to use the Google Music features?

You can't install this? I've had it on my GNex since the day I got it, and I'm in Europe. It works well for playing local files.

moojito

Going back to the reddit readers for a second, I've tried reddit news and I just don't like that comment slider at all. I've never had a problem with bacon reader. Maybe you just get used to one.

Is there any music player that has a quick enqueue like winamp does where I can just add albums and songs to a temporary playlist? I like winamp but the widget is so ugly. Also one that can sort my music by folders. If something had all three of these options (quick enqueue, nice widget, sort by folders) it would be perfect for me, but every player usually only has 2 out of 3 of these.

kehs

Banned
Google music just added a queue list that adds music as you listen, no dice on the folder browsing through.

Hieberrr

Is there any music player that has a quick enqueue like winamp does where I can just add albums and songs to a temporary playlist? I like winamp but the widget is so ugly. Also one that can sort my music by folders. If something had all three of these options (quick enqueue, nice widget, sort by folders) it would be perfect for me, but every player usually only has 2 out of 3 of these.

MIUI Music for ICS.

http://anonym.to/?http://www.MegaShare.com/4054941

Top Bottom