• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

That's pretty damning of Android apps to just be imitations of iOS ones.

There's nothing wrong when someone steals good design, as long as it isn't too blatant. I paid $4.99 for Reeder and I'd do it again for an Android version. And again for a Windows 8 version.

That's pretty damning of Android apps to just be imitations of iOS ones.
Its sad really since you can do so much with the large screen. iOS could never offer you the same experience Android does if you make proper use of its innate abilities like the giant ass screens.

Pachimari

Do Google Reader have save to Instapaper?
I can't seem to find it, but I can find a whole lot of other apps it can interact with.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's nothing wrong when someone steals good design, as long as it isn't too blatant. I paid $4.99 for Reeder and I'd do it again for an Android version. And again for a Windows 8 version.

Android apps shouldn't look like iOS apps. The design guidelines are there to make the whole Android experience (OS + apps) feel coherent, and while deviation from them is of course acceptable to give your app its own identity they shouldn't be completely ignored. An app that looks like an iOS app feels very out of place on an Android phone, even if it was originally a well-designed iOS app.

Yeah, I know, but it still violates the TOS. I doubt they'd actually take action against anyone doing it (don't believe they ever have?), but they could shut your account down for it. That remote possibility is why I still haven't been able to convice myself that it's perfectly safe.

I used Tor to do it.

And I'm willing to risk my account, even though I doubt they'll care.

tino

Banned
Guys I need help.

Is there a count down clock I can control from the notification area?

If not, what is the best clock down clock app?

maliedoo

don't know if anyone posted this or not.

For Navigation I use Waze

Social GPS for everyday driving, instant traffic, accidents, police, etc.

http://www.waze.com

5Z62otHYmLiGjvfYMopCzjiXCBPD-JNWjGn5Gr1Rbtpdi5HQE7kB2bcGtF24LydBvg=h230
XNt3Kat6IQFHfqXaoJzb72ifG35asPPzsQSxtoGF6Earrxvo_uN-u752JMx7CUp5W3s=h230
RynWY0QLPaCfWibyx1tjaBsHdCsrvbvtuQwBOoqY39ZtPvLUjB22A9KnDMz3Tmd4BYw=h230
h_IhnJm6wcCysVz6lI8I_JPOSAV4-18eKBlJPcFPP5uZy-fTHWOumb3z67Pz0Hi-0Ubr=h230
GkTh1Ryb_sFyUxC_3gXl9CljeZSaXqWUV-_JzBqdxRtODSK0mpoIYzjVGjSvxFOKMww=h230

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's the best mkv player? Stock app won't play the audio for some of my files :(

Definitely Dice Player of the ones I've tried. Flawless hardware accelerated playback of both 720p and 1080p content on my GNex. The ads in the free version don't show up when you're actually watching something, just when you bring up the playback controls and such, so they don't really bother me.

Another one that often gets recommended is MX Player. I personally haven't had as smooth an experience watching HD content using that, although I haven't tried it in a while.

Seanbob11

Is there an app that I can change the LED colour for text messages from specific people? I've got lightflow but I can only change LED for all texts, not specific people.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there an app that I can change the LED colour for text messages from specific people? I've got lightflow but I can only change LED for all texts, not specific people.

Try Go SMS. See if it has that option. I'm not sure it does but it may.

womp

Don't get me wrong, I don't use Flipboard on a phone or as Google Reader app. For me, Flipboard is a neat discovery app and something I use to read longer articles or reviews from the Verge on my iPad. I just wanted to point out that apps don't have to follow the UI guidelines of a platform to look good. Sorry that I wasted your time.

'Discovery app' is a good way to put it, and I use Feedly in a similar fashion. Sometimes having those graphic thumbnails present help clue you into an article you may have otherwise passed by scrolling through typical newsreaders with a list format.

How did you waste my time? I was just throwing in my two cents to the conversation. LOL

kehs

Banned
Man, what the fuck is astrid tasks doing intervening with my missed calls(asking if I want to set a reminder to call someone back after dismissing the notification)?

I hate apps that auto set themselves to do things like that. >=|

It's a nice little feature, but don't do it without asking me.

SimleuqiR

Man, what the fuck is astrid tasks doing intervening with my missed calls(asking if I want to set a reminder to call someone back after dismissing the notification)?

I hate apps that auto set themselves to do things like that. >=|

It's a nice little feature, but don't do it without asking me.

:::Double taps on the screen (Nova Launcher):::
:::Bring up unified search, enters "Astrid", finds no such app installed:::

Yes. I remember this app doing this to me, and I imminently uninstalled it.

kehs

Banned
:::Double taps on the screen (Nova Launcher):::
:::Bring up unified search, enters "Astrid", finds no such app installed:::

Yes. I remember this app doing this to me, and I imminently uninstalled it.

*Police Sirens*

What task app do you use now?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Pachimari

I think you guys have talked about it before (I'll go scan the last page), but what is a great VLC player that can play .MOV file videos? I tried out VLA Beta and it makes the videos stutter and have visual errors, so unstable.

Dice Player? MX Player?

EDIT:
Dice Player isn't compatible with my device and MX Player can't find my videos. There's really no app for playing .mov files?

EDIT 2:
MX Player works, though it lags and sound cuts out.

By the way, is there any way I can get the Onlive app if it doesn't show up in my Play Store?

Zoe

Definitely Dice Player of the ones I've tried. Flawless hardware accelerated playback of both 720p and 1080p content on my GNex. The ads in the free version don't show up when you're actually watching something, just when you bring up the playback controls and such, so they don't really bother me.

Another one that often gets recommended is MX Player. I personally haven't had as smooth an experience watching HD content using that, although I haven't tried it in a while.

Shoot, same audio issue with MX, and the file just doesn't open with Dice. It seems like there might be DTS licensing issues...

Guess I'll have to convert the audio.

Boken

Banned

It does allow LED colours for different people - you have to add specific contacts first.

kehs

Banned
Its opposite day!

Totally unrelated question: Do you know anything about picasa APIs and implementing them into a website?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Its opposite day!

Totally unrelated question: Do you know anything about picasa APIs and implementing them into a website?

Yeah I messed around with them before. Didn't get around to using any credential-based stuff though.

kehs

Banned
Yeah I messed around with them before. Didn't get around to using any credential-based stuff though.

All I need to do is load up an album from an account inside of a website. Do dynamic stuff or user interaction apart from viewing (i.e. next/previous/etc).

d[-_-]b

Banned
Well it's still in development and lacking some features. :p Would love a dark theme too, but it's definitely a fantastic initial offering.

And here I was thinking to myself, what would a twitter app need, since I'd like to take a stab at it...
It looks nice and straight forward...
Props to anyone using the twitter api, it's just shit imo...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
All I need to do is load up an album from an account inside of a website. Do dynamic stuff or user interaction apart from viewing (i.e. next/previous/etc).

Yeah that's sort of what I used it for. Just a single specific album?

kehs

Banned
Yeah that's sort of what I used it for. Just a single specific album?

It's a bunch of albums, but each one would have it's own page basically. I'm not expecting ultra coder stuff, I mean, I'm still coding each page with html in notepad.

Top Bottom