• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Hieberrr

I've never understood why people want this. As long as your music is properly tagged, why do you need folder browsing?

Because, don't like browsing by artist or by album. It's jumping through unnecessary hoops just to get to your songs. I have maybe 100-150 single songs from various artists and albums in a "Various Artists" folder. Then, I have my full albums.

kehs

Banned
Because, don't like browsing by artist or by album. It's jumping through unnecessary hoops just to get to your songs. I have maybe 100-150 single songs from various artists and albums in a "Various Artists" folder. Then, I have my full albums.

I had that issue too, I ended up just using the album artist tag as a secondary "album" tag for those compilations. Not all music players look at that tag though.

I also ended up duplicating those songs and have them as incorrectly tagged albums, heh.

Zoe

Wouldn't a playlist accomplish that though?

Hieberrr

Sorry, I'm on gingerbread ㅠㅠ

Make the switch to MIUI (if you can) :p I promise that you won't be disappointed.

Wouldn't a playlist accomplish that though?
It would, but it would have to be kept updated every time a new song is added. I'd rather just throw a song onto the SD card and have the phone just pick it up. That and I tend to test flash new ROMs pretty often, so creating a new playlist every time isn't very efficient.

I'm mainly on MIUI (Gingerbread), but I also try AOKP from time to time (but always go back to MIUI GB since ICS lacks a lot of things that MIUI offers).

Opera Mobile is a full-fledged web browser. It downloads the data and renders the page on your phone just like any other browser. Opera Mini uses a server to compress pages (up to 90% according to Opera) before they get sent to your phone, which means you download less data. Useful if you have a slow connection or a very limiting data cap, but what you receive will be of lower quality and lack certain features you get with the "full" web on Mobile. If you've got the connection for it, go for Mobile.

I'm a bit late on this but for some odd reason Mini supports RSS feeds and Mobile doesn't.

I first started using Mini on my Motorola EX124G, a solid Tracfone that seemed like a low-end smart phone but didn't actually run Android. It was quick and fast, and I could easily browse GAF (even before the addition of the Mobile version) and RSS feeds of my favorite sites during lulls at the Grocery Store I work at. I tried Mobile and it was *okay*, but I really missed the lack of feed support. Mini is so staggeringly fast on my HTC Evo V it's really easy for me to ignore the downsides.

Since I'm not much of an "on-the-go" kind of guy, I really haven't unlocked the full potential of my first smart phone either. Are there any Apps that people can recommend in the "Once you try it, you can't live without it" category?

A couple other questions:

-Is there an App that can make the GPS more accurate? I've tried tracking my location and it finds that I'm about 100-150 feet West of where I actually am. I have a Garmin Handheld GPS that's dead accurate.

-I've got a lot of various misc apps that came bundled with the phone, is there a resource/app that can recommend what can be removed and what can't/shouldn't?

Hieberrr

I'm considering moving to AOKP on my Galaxy S, but I just want to make sure that it has certain things before I flash another ROM (just to reflash my old one again).

Does the default ICS browser have a bookmarks page similar to this?

ejdnC.jpg

Essentially a quick shortcuts page that shows up every time you create a new tab.

Thanks

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm considering moving to AOKP on my Galaxy S, but I just want to make sure that it has certain things before I flash another ROM (just to reflash my old one again).

Essentially a quick shortcuts page that shows up every time you create a new tab.

Thanks
No.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Discuss with me the YouTube app.

There's something in settings called prefetching. Seems brilliant. I can see under Wi-Fi data usage that it is downloading stuff. But when I try to play the videos without a network connection, they don't play. Also, when trying with a network connection, it's like it's streaming from scratch.

Am I missing something?

tino

Banned

Thanks

You can use ICS Browser +, it has a "most frequent used" sites, its close enough.

kehs

Banned

Thanks

e: Well it's most visited though. I thought it had bookmarks at one point though.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6157483/Screenshot_2012-07-09-11-09-29.png

3rdman

Does anyone know of a widget that can be stretched and that will auto-scroll headlines...something similar to a news ticker?

The best I've found is an app called "NewsFlash" but the widget won't resize.

Bboy AJ

The long awaited Twitter client Carbon is supposedly coming out soon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nope. Found the APK though but it seems Google Music does not have lock screen controls? That's pretty much essential for a music player...

It does on my phone. Here's what my lock screen (with pattern unlock) looks like when playing music:

RoadHazard said:

What phone and Android version are you on? For some reason I thought you had a GNex with 4.0.x, but I now see that you never actually said that.

It does on stock android. I'm guessing you've got a samsung/HTC?

Yeah, if your phone has TouchWiz or something like that on it rather than running vanilla Android I guess that could be the problem.

Since I'm not much of an "on-the-go" kind of guy, I really haven't unlocked the full potential of my first smart phone either. Are there any Apps that people can recommend in the "Once you try it, you can't live without it" category?

Dropbox is really useful to me, mostly because it uploads every photo and video I take with my phone to my account, and thus to my computer, so I never have to manually copy them over. Now, Google+ does the same thing with its instant upload feature, but those only end up in the cloud, not on your computer. Also, G+ doesn't upload screenshots, while Dropbox does (if your phone can take screenshots). Really convenient when you want to show something from your phone, as I'm doing in this very post. I just have to take the screenshot, wait a few seconds, and there it is in the Dropbox folder on my PC.

Airdroid is an awesome way to wirelessly access your phone from your PC. You can read and answer texts, play the music on your phone, view images, copy files in both directions, etc., all from the PC browser interface.

-Is there an App that can make the GPS more accurate? I've tried tracking my location and it finds that I'm about 100-150 feet West of where I actually am. I have a Garmin Handheld GPS that's dead accurate.

GPS Status & Toolbox might be able to help with that. It can refresh your A-GPS data, which can help your GPS get a good fix significantly faster.

-I've got a lot of various misc apps that came bundled with the phone, is there a resource/app that can recommend what can be removed and what can't/shouldn't?

If you can uninstall an app, I'd say it's safe to do so. System apps can't be uninstalled (only reverted to the version they originally were by uninstalling any updates), and bundled apps/bloatware usually can't either.

hom3land

Was looking for an app to send free international sms. (US to europe) without having both parties having to download a specific app (rules out whatsapp)

Bboy AJ

Now that Tweetbot has the OSX Alpha out, after it's completed, let's hope the team starts on an Android app.

Noob question:

When my phone is locked and I get text messages, there is no indication of those at all when I glance at my lock screen. Even when I unlock it actually doesn't tell me there are new messages (as in: no little number next to the message icon). There is however a small notification at the top.

I was wondering if I could somehow make the lock screen show a lot more info (any info really!). For example: new messages, missed calls, ...

n.b.:
- I'm on android 4 (Sony xperia)
- I have the lock screen set that you need to give a pin code to unlock. Perhaps that's of significance...

kehs

Banned
Noob question:

When my phone is locked and I get text messages, there is no indication of those at all when I glance at my lock screen. Even when I unlock it actually doesn't tell me there are new messages (as in: no little number next to the message icon). There is however a small notification at the top.

I was wondering if I could somehow make the lock screen show a lot more info (any info really!). For example: new messages, missed calls, ...

n.b.:
- I'm on android 4 (Sony xperia)
- I have the lock screen set that you need to give a pin code to unlock. Perhaps that's of significance...

Do you have notifications turned off inside your messaging app? You should see a notification up top in the tray.

Do you have notifications turned off inside your messaging app? You should see a notification up top in the tray.

Now that you mention it, even in lock screen the top bar is vaguely visible. I guess the message icon is visible when I've gotten one. But I would've thought those notifications would be a lot more obvious than that.

Like a lock screen that clearly states:

2 new messages
3 missed calls

(I'm using Apex Launcher, in case that is also messing things up.)

kehs

Banned
Now that you mention it, even in lock screen the top bar is vaguely visible. I guess the message icon is visible when I've gotten one. But I would've thought those notifications would be a lot more obvious than that.

Like a lock screen that clearly states:

2 new messages
3 missed calls

(I'm using Apex Launcher, in case that is also messing things up.)

Ah, you probably want to look into something like widget locker. I think they offer more options for the lockscreen.

Chopper

Okay, will check out that app. Thanks.

Edit: D'aw, it's not free.
It's not free, but it IS awesome. I've used it religiously for ages. Largely because I like having a torch widget available from the lock screen. But a widget called "Missed It!" will do exactly what you're asking.

Is there a video player that actually plays 10bit/hi10p video files on the Samsung Galaxy S3? Diceplayer freezes, mx stutters and doesn't show subs, and moboplayer shows the subs but suffers from artifacts and intermittent stuttering.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
does anyone know how to get poweramp to ignore .mp4s? it keeps trying to play mp4 video

edit: ohhh you can specify the music folder. awesome!

Unicorn

I'm on Galaxy S3 and Handcent (and GO SMS Pro or w/e) don't show my contacts' facebook pictures. My dad's image shows up (which I'm not friends with on Facebook, have as "Dad" in my contacts, yet his image is his current FB picture) but no one else.

What's up with that? Never had this problem with my Moto Droid.

EDIT:

Read up a bit, seems ICS prevents 3rd Party Programs from syncing stuff from Facebook and others. Some app called SyncMyPix was supposed to fix it, but it didn't work for me, so I uninstalled it.

I guess I'll have to either deal with no contact pictures or just switch to the default messenger, since it has the pictures, but no LED light customization.

kehs

Banned
It's already off, but I want to exclude it from the mass update option.

Ah I see, unless you have root access you won't be able to do much.

With root access you can "freeze" applications through Titanium backup and the market won't be see it for updates.

Levi

Banned
I was using JustReader for my RSS reader, but it hard crashes on my Nexus 7. Any recommendations on a good replacement?

Top Bottom