• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was using JustReader for my RSS reader, but it hard crashes on my Nexus 7. Any recommendations on a good replacement?

I don't know about a tablet specific app but I like Good News. It has the nicest UI and a ton of features, including offline syncing. Though offline syncing isn't perfect. Cheap, too.

SimleuqiR

Android is complete!

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/

The feature-set on Android is the same that you have come to expect from XBMC, no different from its cousin on the desktop. Running your favorite media-center software on small, cheap, embedded hardware is about to become a hassle-free reality. And as Android-based set-top-boxes are becoming more and more ubiquitous, it couldn’t be a better time. In fact, primary development was done on a Pivos XIOS DS set-top-box. And that is no coincidence, you will notice that Pivos is now listed as an official sponsor (more on that later). XBMC is stable and works great there, as well as on various tablets and phones. Though with Android, as many of you probably know, that is only the beginning of the story.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
ro39o.jpg

Twitter client Carbon to be free. Awesome! You fucks better donate to the dev, at least.

http://www.androidcentral.com/carbo...m_source=ac&utm_medium=twitter&style_mobile=0

Friendcaster doesn't work too hot for me.

I have a hard time telling when there's new messages from looking at the main screen - shouldn't there be an indicator or something?

Also, it opens the browser to view a lot of stuff instead of just doing it in app. What figures?

Almost makes me tempted to install the official app again ;/

A.Romero

Friendcaster doesn't work too hot for me.

I have a hard time telling when there's new messages from looking at the main screen - shouldn't there be an indicator or something?

Also, it opens the browser to view a lot of stuff instead of just doing it in app. What figures?

Almost makes me tempted to install the official app again ;/

Plume does the work for me but I'll definetely switch once Carbon is available.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
what would the best music making app be?

i was reading this article on the verge about the best idevice music production apps and i really want to get into it on my daily commute

jokkir

Best facebook app? Is it the official one?

Official Facebook one is terrible but is the only one that can get around the problem of not being able to access friends profiles because of their privacy settings. I find Friendcaster to be a lot better but yeah, won't be able to see all profiles unless on the official app :\

AndyD

aka andydumi
As Pai Mei would say "the best Facebook app is the one that's not installed."

Indeed. Official one is one of the worst. I use Seesmic to keep tabs on both twitter and facebook, and as I never post to either, they are sufficient for reading a stream.

3rdman

I'm not a big Facebook guy but I do like to follow whatever posts my friends have. Instead of a dedicated App, I use a suite of widgets called WIZZ. It updates my wall and allows me to comment and post without ever opening an external App. I also has Twitter support and various other widgets and a timeline widget that merges it all...I'll post a link for those interested later.

kehs

Banned
Can google tv run regular android app? or you need a Ouya box?

They can run by sideloading, though they can be a bit hard to control if the dev didn't take into account dpad control. They're work well enough with the cursor though.

Hey gaf minimalists I made a wallpaper app that allows for browsing, sharing, and setting various minimal style wallpapers. You have a couple options to choose from in the menu. This is an initial release btw so more stuff coming. Let me know what you think. And don't mind the weird title of the app, it was a typo and I accidently clicked save lol. Waiting on Google to update the market. Here is a screenshot:

Market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DIxMiwiY29tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5jb2xvcnMiXQ..

pWKpl.png

Bboy AJ

How much money do ads usually pull in for you? Is it better off for you if people buy the paid for apps instead?

How much money do ads usually pull in for you? Is it better off for you if people buy the paid for apps instead?

Hard to say, it really depends on the app. If you're referring to the app I just posted above well that is brand new as in just uploaded :) I haven't really started using ads till recently but it varies a lot day by day. For me personally I now get between $25-$40 a day on average for ads.

chixdiggit

I have Samsung Galaxy 3. I see there are apps that will unlock apps using face recognition, can you use any of them to unlock your phone?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hey gaf minimalists I made a wallpaper app that allows for browsing, sharing, and setting various minimal style wallpapers. You have a couple options to choose from in the menu. This is an initial release btw so more stuff coming. Let me know what you think. And don't mind the weird title of the app, it was a typo and I accidently clicked save lol. Waiting on Google to update the market. Here is a screenshot:

Market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DIxMiwiY29tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5jb2xvcnMiXQ..

pWKpl.png

I just installed it. How do I add/share/submit something to the database?

There is a face unlock feature in settings>security :) At least for the galaxy nexus

Its in the S3 as well.

Bboy AJ

I take it Carbon is going to only be ICS and up right? :/

He's been working on it forever, AFAIK. So maybe not but I hope it's only ICS and up. In fact, I hope it's only JB and up.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

pWKpl.png

This app would be pretty great if it was holo-themed. Swiping around to get to the different categories. Also it reaaally needs a preview option to see the whole wallpaper.

EDIT: On another note, I can't believe there STILL isn't a good holo-themed file manager app.

This app would be pretty great if it was holo-themed. Swiping around to get to the different categories. Also it reaaally needs a preview option to see the whole wallpaper.

EDIT: On another note, I can't believe there STILL isn't a good holo-themed file manager app.

Very early release. Going to add a titlebar option to move between options easily :) Also, trying to maintain some level of compatibility for older devices. Currently it can run on 1.6 and up. I think for holo like features it's one of the later 2.x versions. Don't recall off hand.

joaomgcd

Hi!

I just wanted to let people in on an app I made: AutoRemote for Tasker.

The concept is simple: Remote Control for Tasker

The possibilites are endless. :)

If you don't know Tasker, you should. It lets you automate everything on your phone, and is the first app I recommend to everyone who buys a new android phone. I can't live without it.

So what does AutoRemote do? Let you control anything in Tasker, remotely. You can do it from any device that has a web browser.

So, for instance, you can send an SMS from your PC, play a nice song of your choosing on your wife's phone, while she's away, or turn off the sound on your own phone without having to pick it up. Anything you can imagine, you can do it remotely.

In addition, you can send messages through Tasker as well, so bi-directional messaging is also a possibility! Imagine pressing a shortcut on your tablet's homescreen, and having a map popup that shows the location of all of your android devices.

Anyway, if you'd like to check it out, there's a lite version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.autoremote.lite

and a full version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.autoremote

. And here is Tasker
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm
Hope someone here can enjoy it. :)

Suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome!

pWKpl.png

Very nice!

Tried the Minimal Appeal but it crashes when I set as wallpaper :(

What crashes...colors, patterns, palettes? All of them? Also, what device? Hm did a bit of testing. Maybe something to do with your SD card? I loaded an emulator with no SD card and I couldn't set patterns/palettes because it's downloading/creating bitmaps to SD. Colors works fine though. Loaded same exact emulator with a SD card and it worked fine. Works fine on Galaxy nexus as well and that has no SD card.

EDIT: Just tested on Moto Droid and sidekick...both worked fine as well.

TTOOLL

Lg optimus one running ics. Tried colors and it worked, then the others and they worked too. Then I tried another palette and it crashed again.

warhead

Is there any map app out there that supports offline maps and feature similar google map's 'My Places' (which only works online)? I could really use something like this for an upcoming vacation.

Dwayne

Is there any map app out there that supports offline maps and feature similar google map's 'My Places' (which only works online)? I could really use something like this for an upcoming vacation.

Google maps does this, it's the second option in the top right corner options menu. I use it every weekend on my tablet when we go garage sailing.

Top Bottom