• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

warhead

That just caches the map, I also want to use the places I marked offline. Haven't been able to find that in Google Maps, or am I missing something?

Dwayne

That just caches the map, I also want to use the places I marked offline. Haven't been able to find that in Google Maps, or am I missing something?

Oh I see. Well for me, I login to my maps or whatever it's called before we leave, and then app seems to retain them. Sorry if this doesn't help ;-\

saunderez

What is currently the best video playing app? I tried using xbmc but the icons/test is too small for me to use.

MXPlayer, Diceplayer, Moboplayer are all good choices but at the end of the day its best to go with whichever one works best on your particular device. I use MXPlayer myself on my GS3 and Touchpad.

What's the best app for the London underground?

I'm moving from iPhone and using Tube Deluxe, but struggling to find anything aesthetically pleasing (unfortunately like most android apps I've come across)

ro39o.jpg

Twitter client Carbon to be free. Awesome! You fucks better donate to the dev, at least.

http://www.androidcentral.com/carbo...m_source=ac&utm_medium=twitter&style_mobile=0

They say it's for free because Google don't allow paid apps in UAE, but I can buy apps in the UAE just fine without a Market Unlocker.

r1chard

What is currently the best video playing app? I tried using xbmc but the icons/test is too small for me to use.
Does that mean your only requirement for "best" is the user interface?

The only one that I could find that transcodes AC3 audio to stereo is QQPlayer. So it's the best for me.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
MXPlayer, Diceplayer, Moboplayer are all good choices but at the end of the day its best to go with whichever one works best on your particular device. I use MXPlayer myself on my GS3 and Touchpad.
Further to this, is there any app that would allow me to stream video from my laptop to phone and play it to the AppleTV? I guess it would need to be transcoded with PS3Mediaserver or something so it's in ATV-compatible format? I know apps like this exist for iOS but not sure about Android.

tino

Banned
Further to this, is there any app that would allow me to stream video from my laptop to phone and play it to the AppleTV? I guess it would need to be transcoded with PS3Mediaserver or something so it's in ATV-compatible format? I know apps like this exist for iOS but not sure about Android.

You should get a NAS and do it the proper way.

Nyrad

Does anyone know a good Calendar / To Do List / Groceries List App that you can share with your significant other?

I'm thinking i'm in the store and she could edit my grocieries on the fly.. just like in that microsoft commercial a few months ago just for android. A good shared Calendar would also be awesome.

I thought about just making a new Google Account and sync that with our two Android Phones (Gnex and Nexus S) but there has to be a smarter way right? Especialy in regards to notification if something got changed..

tino

Banned
Does anyone know a good Calendar / To Do List / Groceries List App that you can share with your significant other?

I'm thinking i'm in the store and she could edit my grocieries on the fly.. just like in that microsoft commercial a few months ago just for android. A good shared Calendar would also be awesome.

I thought about just making a new Google Account and sync that with our two Android Phones (Gnex and Nexus S) but there has to be a smarter way right? Especialy in regards to notification if something got changed..

Add both google accounts to both phones, a normal task app will handle the rest. I use Tasks.

Hey gaf minimalists I made a wallpaper app that allows for browsing, sharing, and setting various minimal style wallpapers. You have a couple options to choose from in the menu. This is an initial release btw so more stuff coming. Let me know what you think. And don't mind the weird title of the app, it was a typo and I accidently clicked save lol. Waiting on Google to update the market. Here is a screenshot:

Market link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DIxMiwiY29tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5jb2xvcnMiXQ..

pWKpl.png

Just to update. I've added a light holo theme to the app as requested by someone in this thread. Should be up in the market now. If you could rate that would be excellent. Still can't believe one guy left one star because the wallpapers were minimal and not his style lol. Not sure what he was expecting haha

Looks pretty much identical minus the menu now in the titlebar:

qElfBPXO5afX1m_xqpHK5euhkMp648Yr-B2RMa2miz0_YpMS_5ekvfm8asQr3sWl5jY

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just to update. I've added a light holo theme to the app as requested by someone in this thread. Should be up in the market now. If you could rate that would be excellent. Still can't believe one guy left one star because the wallpapers were minimal and not his style lol. Not sure what he was expecting haha

Nice. I think the only major request I have now is full preview of the wallpapers prior to applying.

Official Facebook one is terrible but is the only one that can get around the problem of not being able to access friends profiles because of their privacy settings. I find Friendcaster to be a lot better but yeah, won't be able to see all profiles unless on the official app :\

I find that friendcaster seems to be missing a lot of "posts" in the news feed that show up in the official Facebook app's news feed. Huge dealbreaker for me.

Also it has ads at the bottom.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What do you mean? Like a grid?

I think so. No names, just tiles of wallpapers, so you can see say three columns of 5 at once. And if you want to show names/source then you can add that info to the popup when you click on a wallpaper. Or perhaps have a popup with a larger version of the wallpaper with the author/name info as well.

Dwayne

On my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7", the Share/Use this Wallpaper options are super small, would be great if they can be enlarged.

Doopliss

https://lh4.ggpht.com/qElfBPXO5afX1m_xqpHK5euhkMp648Yr-B2RMa2miz0_YpMS_5ekvfm8asQr3sWl5jY[IMG][/QUOTE]
I liked the stylised title text from before (bold/grey). It would be good if you brought that back.

Levi

Banned
Just started using Doggcatcher, it's being weird. Seemingly at random, it'll download the oldest item in the feed during an update. Is this a known issue? Can I fix it?

santouras

very nice app. I did leave some comments on play store, but will repeat them here

currently running JB 4.1.1 stock on galaxy nexus

when rotating the wallpapers reload and my previous selectiong (patterns/colours) gets forgotten, goes back to default.

something strange happened when I scrolled really fast. Would keep bouncing up to a predetermined marker. Scrolling up or down would then scroll for a bit but jump back to this marker

edit: this appears to happen when you get to the end of the list and it loads in more. Then the glitch happens.

Very nice app tho, I really like the functionality, these wallpapers are right up my alley!

And although it looks mostly nice, there are a few bits I'm really not sure of design wise. Which again, is a surprise for The Verge. They should be loving their holo through and through.

SuperPac

What's the best place to get wallpapers for Android devices? Specifically looking for some that'll look good on the Nexus 7.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
can anyone recommend a fast, solid epub reader for the Galaxy Nexus 7? i haven't been able to figure out whether the Play Reader - which has a gorgeous interface - can load epub or mobi files.

Doopliss

can anyone recommend a fast, solid epub reader for the Galaxy Nexus 7? i haven't been able to figure out whether the Play Reader - which has a gorgeous interface - can load epub or mobi files.
I use FBReader on my GS2. I love how customisable it is. Everything's set up exactly how I want it (font size, line spacing, margins, scrolling style, colours etc.). Every other reader I've tried has had some annoying little thing or other that can't be changed. It has dictionary support too, which I consider to be a requirement for a good reader app.

Browsing your files kind of sucks, though, if you care about that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The latest version of Maps supports proper offline map saving, not just offline caching. What version of Maps are you on? For reference, I'm on 6.9.2 (on a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean 4.1.1).

tino

Banned
The latest version of Maps supports proper offline map saving, not just offline caching. What version of Maps are you on? For reference, I'm on 6.9.2 (on a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean 4.1.1).

He wants to use custom "my map" bookmarks offline. There is no way to do it without downloading the gpx file off google map and use it with an offline app, like rmap or oruxmaps.

I just got a new smartphone and have some app questions.

1. Is there a custom widget or any way in Google Music to thumb up a song quicker? I have to press the widget, then press the tiny arrow in the bottom right to thumb up. Why not have it on the widget?
2. Best Reddit app? I don't like baconreader because it crashes when I go back and it takes too many presses to reach my subreddits.
3. Since Tunewiki only can find lyrics for locally stored music, what should I use for Google Music, Spotify, etc.?
4. Should I always close apps? They must use memory in the menu, right?

freshair

I just got a new smartphone and have some app questions.

1. Is there a custom widget or any way in Google Music to thumb up a song quicker? I have to press the widget, then press the tiny arrow in the bottom right to thumb up. Why not have it on the widget?
2. Best Reddit app? I don't like baconreader because it crashes when I go back and it takes too many presses to reach my subreddits.
3. Since Tunewiki only can find lyrics for locally stored music, what should I use for Google Music, Spotify, etc.?
4. Should I always close apps? They must use memory in the menu, right?

2. Reddit Sync. By far the best, Imo. Second place would be reddit news free.

4. There's no need to. It'll free up memory and close programs as needed automatically.

Top Bottom