• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

This is quite literally the only nice-looking timer app I've seen for Android. However, I'm a bit hesitant spending that money (although it's not) for something that simple, especially considering that quite a few of the reviews mention issues such as the timer alarm not always going off, etc.

EDIT: Found another nice-looking, Holo-themed one: Icy Time (free). Seems a bit too basic though.

I currently use ES File Explorer. How is this better, besides looking a bit better? Still doesn't seem to adhere all that much to the Android design guidelines, which is something that annoys me about pretty much every file explorer I've tried.

EDIT: Ok, this one is quite a bit nicer to use than ES File Explorer, although it might not be quite as powerful. But I don't use those "power features" anyway, so whatever! I just want a nice, functional file explorer, and this certainly seems to be one of the best ones so far. I do wish it followed the design guidelines more closely though (it sort of looks like a Holo app at a glance, but it really isn't designed like one).

Kitchen Timer for ICS

Cr0wn0

Is there an app that will turn off my notifications/ringtones at night turn them back on in the AM but still let certain people call me and it rings no matter what? I'm on a Gs3.

JonnyBrad

Isn't this an issue with twitter more than the app developers. I might be wrong, but last I remember, twitter hasn't opened up a push notification Api to Developers.

I doubt it as there are various 3rd party Iphone twitter apps that use push. It would be the same API.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there an app that will turn off my notifications/ringtones at night turn them back on in the AM but still let certain people call me and it rings no matter what? I'm on a Gs3.

Llama will. You can set time periods where you can turn off ringer. But you can set noisy contacts who will ignore the silence or have their own settings. And it does a ton of other things too.

r1chard

On the topic of timers, I've been a happy user of Tick! for ages. Simple UI though a little cumbersome if you want to time something over 60 minutes.

Having said that I have been using the voice-control aspect of my JB-enabled GN more and more recently "remind me to do the thing in 2 hours" is a pretty straight-forward interface really :)

Omzz

Just a question about the YouTube app.

On my S3 I always keep screen rotation off. Don't really have a use for it. Before the update I could double tap the screen to get the bigger view, but now I can't seem to do it. Is the only way to do that is to keep screen rotation on, or is there a way I don't know?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks, Original Thinking. I knew about Reddit Sync and Timer prior to your post but I went ahead and bought them because of your post.

voodooray

Just a question about the YouTube app.

On my S3 I always keep screen rotation off. Don't really have a use for it. Before the update I could double tap the screen to get the bigger view, but now I can't seem to do it. Is the only way to do that is to keep screen rotation on, or is there a way I don't know?

Youtube app automatically rotates for me when I change the orientation of the phone from portrait to landscape and plays in fullscreen, even though the phone system setting is set to non-rotate.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Youtube app automatically rotates for me when I change the orientation of the phone from portrait to landscape and plays in fullscreen, even though the phone system setting is set to non-rotate.

Same here. Youtube's rotation is independent of system setting. Or are we reading his question wrong?

Omzz, do you mean get a bigger screen in portrait mode by double clicking? On my S3 the portrait video play size is already pretty much to the endge of the screen so how would it get bigger. See below:

lTYeX.png

kehs

Banned
Youtube use to have a double tap feature that would automatically show the video in full screen mode, even if your device was in portrait.

It was pretty annoying actually, since it would also auto play the movie even if the device was in portrait. I would like to see a landscape layout though with all the video data/comments on the side.

I'm finally getting myself an Android phone this Friday.

I've never had a phone with 3G before, let alone apps... so I'm finding this thread highly interesting. I'm looking forward to getting Chrome, Steam and Strava the most. I've just started working full time, so being able to check Facebook, Twitter, Joystiq and GAF on the go will be very convenient for me. I'm hoping to install CyanogenMod too since I hear it lets you tweak a lot of things (and I like to get down to the nitty gritty.) I'll most likely end up buying the Sonic CD port for android as well.

Omzz

I worded it wrong. I meant the full screen when you switch from portrait to landscape. I have screen rotation turned off, but it seems like it's directly linked with that setting. Once I turn it off, it won't go to landscape when I turn the phone while in the app. But when I turn screen rotation on, it starts working again.

Kind of annoying since I don't really use my phone in landscape at anytime. Checked the in-app settings and couldn't seem to find anything either :S

tino

Banned
I worded it wrong. I meant the full screen when you switch from portrait to landscape. I have screen rotation turned off, but it seems like it's directly linked with that setting. Once I turn it off, it won't go to landscape when I turn the phone while in the app. But when I turn screen rotation on, it starts working again.

Kind of annoying since I don't really use my phone in landscape at anytime. Checked the in-app settings and couldn't seem to find anything either :S

Old version of Youtube app disregard the system orientation setting. Now it follow the system orientation. I prefer the old way.

I wish it has a goddamn toggle inside the app setting.

Toppot

Just recently came out on Android, nice 90's throwback, Hatchi!

Basically its a classic Tamagotchi. Quite faithful in its style. The iOS version has more stuff but they will bring the Android version up aswell if it sells enough.

Its only 99 cents/64p, worth it just to relive those memories and sounds.

Sleeping said:

zbeeb

Does anyone else find when using DLNA apps to stream videos from PC to android that sometimes the file list wont update unless you restart the computer?

On that note, anyone had any experience with Plex? Is it worth it?

On that note, anyone had any experience with Plex? Is it worth it?
For me it's worth it. I was already using Plex on my HTPC, so there was no additional setup involved. I use my phone to browse media when I'm home, and to play it over the internet when I'm out and about :D

Remote playback will depend on your ISP's upload speed, of course.

Cudder

Just recently came out on Android, nice 90's throwback, Hatchi!

Basically its a classic Tamagotchi. Quite faithful in its style. The iOS version has more stuff but they will bring the Android version up aswell if it sells enough.

Its only 99 cents/64p, worth it just to relive those memories and sounds.

There is also this one, which is a bit more faithful to the originals I think.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS51enpvcnMyay5UYW1hRHJvaWQiXQ..

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
These guys are like the mid 1990s Nintendo of Twitter clients.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have always really liked the official Twitter app, but I don't do any posting on Twitter so maybe it fails at that? For browsing it seems perfectly capable.e

MNC

I wish Valve would care about the Steam app. It's slow, ugly, low-res and doesn't use holo at all. Like it was made for the G1.

Hehe, The iPhone version doesn't even allow you to read what was said in the background in chat. The android version is vastly superior, but I agree, far from great.

There's no extra syncing involved since most calendar apps would just read the data from the Android app itself, not from the server, so there's no setup on your part.

+1 for Business Calendar. The 4x2 weekly view widget is what I use.

torontoml

There's no extra syncing involved since most calendar apps would just read the data from the Android app itself, not from the server, so there's no setup on your part.

+1 for Business Calendar. The 4x2 weekly view widget is what I use.

So I bought the full version, is there a way to get the current day of the month highlighted on the widget? Also just curious if there is a way to change the color of something I have planned, or can you only change the color of the calender it references?

kehs

Banned
The xfinity TV listing app is so shitty. How fucking hard is it to load up a list of things and cache them? Every single time i open the app is loads for like two minutes.

kehs

Banned
Dear Pandora...stop being shitty on android, you have all the tools to allow users to skip/thumb up/thumb down from the notification tray . In fact, you've been able to do it since honeycomb.

I'm starting to feel the shitty app effect on android tablets. Its rather disheartning because there is so much potential with android.

/stepyogameupdevs

Firehead

Dear Pandora...stop being shitty on android, you have all the tools to allow users to skip/thumb up/thumb down from the notification tray . In fact, you've been able to do it since honeycomb.

I'm starting to feel the shitty app effect on android tablets. Its rather disheartning because there is so much potential with android.

/stepyogameupdevs

A way to add variety to your stations is something that should've been added to the pandora app from the start. The only way to add anything is from their website.

Cartman86

Banned
Well looks like everyone saying thumb keyboard was the best were right. They just updated to support Google's Ice Cream Sandwich real time voice dictation. Been wondering why no one supported it.

-PXG-

Getting custom fonts to load in UCCW is such a pain. It says to put them in "sdcard/fonts", but that that doesn't work. Putting them in "system/fonts" doesn't work either. GRRRRR!!!

Top Bottom