• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

MSKV6.jpg

Donos

What's the best brightness widget?

Also I feel Aix weather widget doesn't get enough love. It's amazing. We should have a separate section for widgets in the OP

Dazzle is your friend. You can set it so that you have a 1x1 widget with 3 options: O % brightness (just the lowest setting the phone has), custom brightness (i use 40 %) and 100%.

You can set way more functions with dazzle but i only use the brightness widget and the mute ringtone widget.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Dazzle is your friend. You can set it so that you have a 1x1 widget with 3 options: O % brightness (just the lowest setting the phone has), custom brightness (i use 40 %) and 100%.

You can set way more functions with dazzle but i only use the brightness widget and the mute ringtone widget.

Is there one with a slider bar?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
New Comixology update is awesome on my Nexus 7. The UI is actually tablet size (instead of being super tiny like it was) and page transitions are finally, finally animated.

Most killer of all, though? "Next in story arc" at the end of comics. Gonna make going through Knightfall and Death in the Family so much easier.

Blackhead

Redarse

Cipherr

Flipboard, and it is available on Android.

Its like crack. Hard to even use the browser after using Flipboard. The gestures are fucking amazing. I find myself trying to swipe to go back one page when Im browsing GAF on my phone like how Flipboard allows.

Is there a reason why OneNote just closes itself when it tries to open my notebooks?

e: I just saw that it's not compatible with Jelly Bean. smh

Zylander

Is there an app or some configuration that will allow me to automatically start certain apps at startup?

I have a few apps, Keepscreen and Smart Rotator for example, that I manually click on to start the service at every launch but I kept forgetting to do that. Now I've got them in a row on my home screen so I don't forget, but they take up valuable real estate.

Outsanity

Has any gaffer tried MMS Backup Restore?

If not, can someone recommend a reliable sms&phone log backup & restore app that saves to an sd card or dropbox (i.e doesn't save to gmail—that quickly got annoying)

I've never had any problems with MyBackupPro, has done all that I asked for the small amount I paid over multiple factory restores including (but not limited to) SMS and call log restores. Would heartily recommend it.

santouras

I certainly haven't see anything better.

on my nexus 7 I prefer Currents to Flipboard for new content, and Reader HD I believe is hands down the best RSS reader for consuming your own information. Has great phone and magazine layouts and built in mobilises the full article and all subsequent links so you don't have to open up a browser. Just amazing

this_guy

Is Flipboard considered the best news app?

I prefer using Pulse. I can see all the news stories at a glance and quickly pick out the ones I want to read. Plus I prefer how Pulse looks.

Flipboard is pretty, but I don't like having to flip through pages to see headlines.

womp

How much better are those than the *oid emulators?

They are the best console emulators for Android available. I say that as a fact, not an opinion.

They make the *oid emulators completely laughable in comparison and I always feel sorry for the people who use them quite frankly. I mean, would you purposely use Windows ME right now?

I try to spread the word when I can because not only do Robert's emulators kick ass, but they are also regularly updated (his Sega CD emulation for instance is making great strides, I had Snatcher running beautifully). It sucks that people still run the *oid crap in this day and age because they are seriously terrible. It's 2012, not 2009.

You can get his SNES.emu for free from his site (side load it) and use that to gauge the waters but be ready to pony up the cash for some of the best apps available on Android - Trust me, you get what you pay for.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/

Does anyone have a recommendation of a running app for beginners?

What I'd really like it do is the usual features like the track route, calories burned etc, but I'd also like an audio cue of some kind that will tell me when to walk/run. For example, run for 2 minutes, walk for 30 seconds, run for 2 minutes etc etc.

3phemeral

I prefer using Pulse. I can see all the news stories at a glance and quickly pick out the ones I want to read. Plus I prefer how Pulse looks.

Flipboard is pretty, but I don't like having to flip through pages to see headlines.
Same. After reading the hoopla about Flipbook, I gave it a spin and flipping through everything became tiresome. Pure novelty for me. I prefer Pulse.

f0lken

Flipboard is awesome on iPad, its a shame that for 720p phones that resolution is wasted with only 4 huge boxes per page which makes the app dissaponting.

BTW, is there a camera app that has this 2 requisites: Can record video even when the screen is off, and can record video in landscape even when the phone is in portrait mode?

To the guy looking for emulators:

If you want a dos-emulator, get Dosbox Turbo. It's like 2 bucks and way more optimized than the free adosbox.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is it actually possible to create a daily schedule/timetable on the stock android calendar? You would think that it would, but I can't find a way to do it.

Angst

Is it actually possible to create a daily schedule/timetable on the stock android calendar? You would think that it would, but I can't find a way to do it.

I have a "Repetition" drop down where I can pick daily, weekly, weekly on Tuesdays etc. Stock calendar on JB.

beje

Banned
Ok, serious question:

Why the fuck does the Flipboard app, which is nothing more than a news aggregator, permissions in to spam my wall in Facebook along with other stuff I don't think it should be accessing as it's a blatant privacy invasion, and read my Direct Messages (as well as spam in my name) in Twitter? Uninstalling! Go fuck over somebody else, thank you.

Angst

Ok, serious question:

Why the fuck does the Flipboard app, which is nothing more than a news aggregator, permissions in to spam my wall in Facebook along with other stuff I don't think it should be accessing as it's a blatant privacy invasion, and read my Direct Messages (as well as spam in my name) in Twitter? Uninstalling! Go fuck over somebody else, thank you.

AFAIK it doesn't spam your Facebook at all. The permission is needed so you can (if you want to) share articles on your wall via the app.

beje

Banned
AFAIK it doesn't spam your Facebook at all. The permission is needed so you can (if you want to) share articles on your wall via the app.

Which I kind of understand, but my direct messages? Really? It wouldn't ask for permission like that (it's not a Twitter client after all) if it wasn't going to it use to spam me and sell my info.

And well, aside that, I checked the actual content... and this kind of app is not really for me. Nearly 90% of all the information it offers is already old news to me because I might have stumbled across it on twitter hours or days ago, or just PR blurb like in the case of gaming "journalism".

moojito

The facebook part of flipboard is an alternative to the facebook app. You can read/post/do whatever using flipboard, should you want to. For you to be able to do that, the app needs permission to do that.

Cr0wn0

Is there anything like Pastebot? It would save a copy of whatever was in your clipboard and you could also send text back and forth between your computer and phone.

GatorBait

Let's talk calendar apps...

I'm actually rather happy with the stock Holo-style calendar on Android, but I could use a better widget for it. Any suggestions?

Besides PowerAmp whats the best music player? preferably free.

Any strong aversion to the Google Play Music app? I've been impressed how much they cleaned that app up and added functionality to it.

Razorskin

----- ------
Let's talk calendar apps...

I'm actually rather happy with the stock Holo-style calendar on Android, but I could use a better widget for it. Any suggestions?

Any strong aversion to the Google Play Music app? I've been impressed how much they cleaned that app up and added functionality to it.

I wish they would allow me to use that app outside the US.

Top Bottom