• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why isn't carbon here yet? :(

I don't want to hate, and I get that they want to take the extra polish time. They want a good 1st impression.

That being said they fubared their marketing push they got saying they'd release last week. Doesn't go over well.

The dev team fully copped to the fact that they failed so props to being up front about it!

Salsa

"I like big launchers and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny..."

http://www.androidcentral.com/big-launcher-updated-slew-new-customization-options

biglauncher.jpg

I personally don't think it looks great, but this is something I could see my mother using if she did use a smartphone. So I'm glad something thought of it.

I think it looks pretty cool actually. Might try it, my sister has an old android phone that might benefit from it

Socreges

Banned
Just got my GS3 - now filling it with apps.

Wondering what the consensus is on:

Pulse or Taptu?
Dolphin HD or Chrome Beta?
Is Beautiful Widgets worth it (however cheap, I've so far avoided paying anything for apps)?

Also, what exactly is a 'Launcher'? Basically an Android desktop?

besiktas1

Pulse or Taptu?
Is Beautiful Widgets worth it (however cheap, I've so far avoided paying anything for apps)?

Chrome beta is swell but I seem to get white screens all the time. Seriously thinking of switching to Dolphin...

xxczx

Pulse or Taptu?

Pulse, Dolphin HD if you care about flash content, Chrome if you don't and I personally don't think Beautiful Widgets is worth anything, they look tacky.

And yeah basically, the also provide a ton of options that the default launcher won't have, like hiding bloat apps on the app drawer. I use Apex launcher, best one yet.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks, guys

Pocket Casts or Doggcatcher? Podcasts are important to me, so I'm willing to pay for the best podcast app out there.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Pulse or Taptu?

BeyondPod. Also get ICS Browser+, Dolphin's UI is slow.

I echo that ICS+ is much better than Dolphin HD.

As to launcher, the S3 does most everything natively anyway (including hiding and siabling bloat apps) that I don't think a launcher is needed unless you want to change icon sets.

Is it normal that Skype just crashes when it's in the background for a while?

Its pretty buggy. I wish they would improve it. I can never leave it on, I just turn it on when I need to make a call, then turn it off again. Otherwise it drains battery and locks up regularly. I am replacing it with G+ and G Voice and Talk slowly because its not keeping up.

Socreges

Banned
BeyondPod. Also get ICS Browser+, Dolphin's UI is slow.

I echo that ICS+ is much better than Dolphin HD.

As to launcher, the S3 does most everything natively anyway (including hiding and siabling bloat apps) that I don't think a launcher is needed unless you want to change icon sets.
So ICS+ doesn't support Jelly Bean.... I'm still on ICS (4.0.4) anyhow, but when I update will the browser be a problem? Would I get a new one from the same developer (eg, Jelly Bean+) or would they just have an update that included JB support?

I tried Pro Launcher, btw, and it wouldn't even work. I'd try to swipe to another page and it would glitch. Maybe I'll avoid launchers for now. I'm still very unfamiliar with how the UI works and how to modify it.

tino

Banned
So ICS+ doesn't support Jelly Bean.... I'm still on ICS (4.0.4) anyhow, but when I update will the browser be a problem? Would I get a new one from the same developer (eg, Jelly Bean+) or would they just have an update that included JB support?

I tried Pro Launcher, btw, and it wouldn't even work. I'd try to swipe to another page and it would glitch. Maybe I'll avoid launchers for now. I'm still very unfamiliar with how the UI works and how to modify it.

You only switch launcher if the current launcher doesn't do what you want to do. I use Go Launcher because I want to have custom icons and a 7X5 grid.

AndyD

aka andydumi

As to browser, its exactly as you said. You would just get an update or a different browser that works on JB.

You only switch launcher if the current launcher doesn't do what you want to do. I use Go Launcher because I want to have custom icons and a 7X5 grid.

This as to launchers. If you are content with the stock one, then you are fine. If you want to try something, try Go Launcher, Apex or Nova.
http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/04/3-best-launchers-for-android-40-ics.html

Start there and see what you think.

Linkhero1

What's the best app for texting? I've used handcent before and found it to be decent, but I was wondering if there's something better.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Pulse or Taptu?

1. Currents.
2. Used Dolphin for years, but Chrome seems as good, no issues so far.
3. No opinion.

Ya, a launcher is like a skin. I used Go Launcher for a year, great app, but now I'm sticking with stock JB.

I don't want to hate, and I get that they want to take the extra polish time. They want a good 1st impression.

That being said they fubared their marketing push they got saying they'd release last week. Doesn't go over well.

The dev team fully copped to the fact that they failed so props to being up front about it!

I'm going to give out a wild speculation and say they're coming out with a paid version. Their reason for releasing it all for free is because Google didn't have a way to give out paid apps in UAE. Now they do, along with a lot of countries in the Middle East.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the best brightness widget?

Also I feel Aix weather widget doesn't get enough love. It's amazing. We should have a separate section for widgets in the OP

xxczx

What's the best brightness widget?

Also I feel Aix weather widget doesn't get enough love. It's amazing. We should have a separate section for widgets in the OP
the only widgets I use is last.fm (for music player options, the stock music player doesn't have a widget if im not using Sense launcher) and Weather Eye which is amazing. Never felt the need for other widgets tbh

HildyB

Thanks, guys

Pocket Casts or Doggcatcher? Podcasts are important to me, so I'm willing to pay for the best podcast app out there.

Doggcatcher. I'm a podcast junkie. I tried a few others but this one was the only one that replicated what iOS was able to do for me in regards to my daily commute. It auto starts and stops via bluetooth with my car (Ford Sync) which was the most important part for me. Has very customization scheduling for downloads. Redoing all my feeds was a little bothersome, I wish it would import from itunes or something, maybe it does.. I've got it saved and settings backup now though.

Cipherr

So I have a question about all of these podcast apps I keep seeing you all talk about. Do these things have podcast browsers? I have an app called Tune In that I use alot. I noticed a while back that it has a small podcast section where I could go and just search for podcast topics then just listen to them. I like that feature of just finding podcasts for tech or tv or movies that I wasn't aware of beforehand and listening to them.

Does stuff like pocketcasts etc have that capability also? Or are they just glorified media players that you have to load mp3s into?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I have a question about all of these podcast apps I keep seeing you all talk about. Do these things have podcast browsers? I have an app called Tune In that I use alot. I noticed a while back that it has a small podcast section where I could go and just search for podcast topics then just listen to them. I like that feature of just finding podcasts for tech or tv or movies that I wasn't aware of beforehand and listening to them.

Does stuff like pocketcasts etc have that capability also? Or are they just glorified media players that you have to load mp3s into?

Yes, PocketCasts, BeyondPod, Acast and any other good podcast app has that capability.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So, uh...any recommendations for one of those apps that turns web pages to better formatted layout?

Pocket. I used to use Readability. Pocket is nicer, IMO. Well, the typography on Readability is nicer but just as an app itself, Pocket works better.

kehs

Banned
Wow pocket is really nice on the n7.

Fantastic for groklaw, thanks guys.

Probably won't be using the syncing feature too much though.

moojito

reddit sync is pretty damn awesome. I never did like reddit news and the ads on bacon reader were getting a bit annoying. This is the first one I've preferred over bacon reader. The only down side is when you press on a link to another reddit page (say from r/depthhub or bestof) it loads it up as a normal web page instead of in the reader app itself. Still, aside from that it's well worth checking out.

TimeKillr

Okay, so I can finally switch to CM9, but I find the stock google calender app is just horrible...

I have a Galaxy S3, and the calender app that comes with TouchWiz works well, but it just feels like the ICS stock calender is just weird; while it has a ton of space to display stuff, it only shows smallish squares and such, so it's kinda sucky. :)

Would you guys have any suggestions for a better calender app?

Bboy AJ

How the hell do I submit a link in Reddit Sync?

Gvaz

Banned
What's that app on the iPad where it loads up a ton of different news things like a newspaper, and is there something like that for android phones?

Top Bottom