• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

AndyD

aka andydumi
Let's talk calendar apps...

I'm actually rather happy with the stock Holo-style calendar on Android, but I could use a better widget for it. Any suggestions?

Do you need a calendar or agenda widget? Try Business Calendar and Agenda Widget based on what you actually need. They both offer tons of customizability.

kehs

Banned
Any app recommendations to mark up pdfs on tablets? I don't see anything inside of Polaris or Quick office that does this.

Something along the lines of what the Note does, where you can scribble on top and save it to another file.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think ezPDF is pretty good for that.

Are there any apps that allow you to stream files on your PC hard drive onto the tablet?

Jeff-DSA

I'm getting tired of flaky podcast apps. Listen stops randomly all the time. DoggCatcher crashes all the time.

Anything better to try out?

mdphilli

Any app recommendations to mark up pdfs on tablets? I don't see anything inside of Polaris or Quick office that does this.

Something along the lines of what the Note does, where you can scribble on top and save it to another file.

Seconding ezPDF. I've used it on the Transformers and now use it on the Nexus. Scribbling isn't the greatest, but gets the job done. I've found it easier to highlight and use notes. Lots of options, though.

kehs

Banned
I think ezPDF is pretty good for that.

Are there any apps that allow you to stream files on your PC hard drive onto the tablet?

Seconding ezPDF. I've used it on the Transformers and now use it on the Nexus. Scribbling isn't the greatest, but gets the job done. I've found it easier to highlight and use notes. Lots of options, though.
Thanks, actually had it from the amazon store and forgot about it.

Since the amazom one is always behind does the play store one better tablet support? The buttons look really small on the TF.

mdphilli

Thanks, actually had it from the amazon store and forgot about it.

Since the amazom one is always behind does the play store one better tablet support? The buttons look really small on the TF.

I started with it from the Free App a Day...But I picked it up from Google Play during the Ten Cent sales I think? Either way, the buttons appear to be about the same size as the three Android buttons on the bottom.

Unless you're referring to the toolbar. That is pretty small by default. It's adjustable in the settings to make it a bit better on the Transformer.

kehs

Banned
I started with it from the Free App a Day...But I picked it up from Google Play during the Ten Cent sales I think? Either way, the buttons appear to be about the same size as the three Android buttons on the bottom.

Unless you're referring to the toolbar. That is pretty small by default. It's adjustable in the settings to make it a bit better on the Transformer.

Yea the toolbar for annotations, Ill check it tomorrow thanks.

Antiwhippy

So how do I fix gmote's "can't find vlc" problem?

edit: fixed it, just got to change the path to the exact same path. Weird problem.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
BaconReader for me all the way.

I couldn't figure out how to one tap to get to either the picture/link or the comments on any of the other Reddit apps. In Baconreader, you tap on the arrow on the right to get to the link, or the body of the post to get to the comments.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sync for me. Works very well and its faster than all the others. Plus it has a nice quick picture preview mode so you dont need to load comments if you don't want.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I own the pro version of Bacon and still switched to Sync. It's better.

sca2511

I'm getting tired of flaky podcast apps. Listen stops randomly all the time. DoggCatcher crashes all the time.

Anything better to try out?

I was sad to hear that Listen was abandoned since it was a good and free podcast manager. Trying out Podkicker now and so far I'm enjoying it

AndyD

aka andydumi
Submarino Conversível;40883620 said:
Sync then? I want one without ads, so I will try the Pro.

Try it with ads for a few days see what you think, but its well worth the $2 or whatnot.

Of those three? Reddit Sync is the best.

But Reddit News is the best Reddit app for Android, period.

I tried News for a while, then went back to Sync. Its more intuitive to me and the UI is better.

_Isaac

I had Bacon Reader for a long time. I then switched to Reddit News which I think was better. I then tried out Reddit Sync. Reddit Sync is the best one.

GatorBait

Do you need a calendar or agenda widget? Try Business Calendar and Agenda Widget based on what you actually need. They both offer tons of customizability.

Thank you for the recommendations, guys. I'll take a look at each. I probably should have been a little more specific in my post, but I was looking for an agenda widget that operates strictly off the stock calendar instead of adding an additional second calendar app, and I wanted one where each item on the agenda was big enough to click on to shortcut me right to the event screen.

At first glance, it is looking like agenda widget fits that pretty well.

Antiwhippy

Gmote is a fucking revelation.

Holy shit.

Is MXplayer for this kind of streaming though? It seems to limit the resolution, but that might just be the bandwidth of my wifi.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
RedditSync is having issues with images displaying properly. Still, I love it's interface.

One thing I can't find is how to quickly return to the Front Page when scrolling through the subReddits.

moojito

RedditSync is having issues with images displaying properly. Still, I love it's interface.

One thing I can't find is how to quickly return to the Front Page when scrolling through the subReddits.

Just press and hold 'redditsync' at the top left to go back to the list of subreddits. You can drag and drop them so front page is at the top if you like.

jokkir

I'm going to try Reddic Sync now instead of Reddit is Fun. Dont like how the font is so tiny though (and too big when upping up the font size)

Top Bottom