• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

midonnay

MX player and Dice player no longer has support for DTS and AC3 because of licensing issues >_<

(in other words....your video might be silent)

kinda annoying if you're an android n00b like me and haven't got the old version yet.

however diceplayer allows external plugin support so if you copy the libffmpeg plugin that Nathan118 posted in this page into your root directory.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1769799

and then go into the settings of diceplayer and click on the "custom plugin" option....

then the video should play properly.... (if you use dice player directly rather than running it through google video)

However..... apparently you have to unclick the option before you exit or not it'll crash...

(but it didn't crash on my nexus 7 so maybe they fixed that)

ScOULaris

In which ways is Reddit Sync better than Reddit News?

Because I think Reddit News is Awesome.

Reddit Sync is really good, interface-wise, but it's still missing plenty of features that Reddit News has had for a while.

And no, I'm not gonna list them. I have work to do.
3AQmK.gif

_Isaac

Reddit Sync is really good, interface-wise, but it's still missing plenty of features that Reddit News has had for a while.

And no, I'm not gonna list them. I have work to do.
3AQmK.gif

After work then.
I don't ever post on Reddit, so I don't really know which app has the best features for those kinds of users.

dralla

My trial for swiftkey 3 just expired and I really liked it, but before I buy it are there any other keyboards I should check out? I cant go back to the default one

dralla

eh is that where you kind of drag your finger around? maybe im dumb but I never really fully understood how it worked, I keep meaning to give it another chance, maybe I will!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
eh is that where you kind of drag your finger around? maybe im dumb but I never really fully understood how it worked, I keep meaning to give it another chance, maybe I will!

It's pretty fast once you get used to it. It's great for one handed typing.

AndyD

aka andydumi

It lets you drag, type normally or use voice. I find that Swift is better though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The guy who did TweetLanes is converting it to use App.net as well. Awesome.

Sanjuro

I'm in the SwiftKey camp. Once you start using it, you never go back. Much better than stock JB keyboard, and ascetically not very different.

That being said, I'm not a fan of Swype or any of those techniques. Used to just mashing keys and expecting some accuracy.

GatorBait

How is the performance on Swype nowadays? I loaded the newest version on my Droid Incredible a couple months ago and it was laggy in certain respect (the keyboard wouldn't immediately recede after pushing the back or home button). It may have just been that my old phone couldn't handle the new version well though.

moojito

I don't know if it's just me, but I find swype fun to use. Every time I swipe a random sentence out and it gets every word correct (which is most of the time) it's like winning a game.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think I figured out why I hate SwiftKey when compared to Swype.

Swype got me used to one handed typing, and when one handed typing, Swype is far faster than SwiftKey, at least for me.

But once you go two handed, the speed goes up considerably for SwiftKey. I think I prefer one handed typing though, so I will probably go back to Swype.

_Isaac

I don't know if it's just me, but I find swype fun to use. Every time I swipe a random sentence out and it gets every word correct (which is most of the time) it's like winning a game.
Yeah that's pretty cool. It feels like magic.
I think I figured out why I hate SwiftKey when compared to Swype.

Swype got me used to one handed typing, and when one handed typing, Swype is far faster than SwiftKey, at least for me.

But once you go two handed, the speed goes up considerably for SwiftKey. I think I prefer one handed typing though, so I will probably go back to Swype.

I prefer SwiftKey for typing in general, but when it comes to one handed typing Swype is probably the best.

The problem I had with Swype was that it got noticablely worse the more I use it. Accuracy started going down the more words I add to it. Which sucks because it types like a dream for a one-handed typer like me (when it works anyways).

sangreal

The problem I had with Swype was that it got noticablely worse the more I use it. Accuracy started going down the more words I add to it. Which sucks because it types like a dream for a one-handed typer like me (when it works anyways).

This is why I ditched Swype to go back to Swiftkey... which has the exact same problem. Both of them seem so great when you first start out

buhdeh

What's the best video player that can play mkv/divx/xvid/etc from a network drive? I used GoodPlayer on my iPad and I add it under SMB.

voodooray

What's the best video player that can play mkv/divx/xvid/etc from a network drive? I used GoodPlayer on my iPad and I add it under SMB.

I like using DicePlayer currently. It doesn't have a problem jumping to different points of the film, remembers the point in time you last stopped playback (although only for the last thing watched), and handles subtitles pretty well. Its also recently changed from adware to donateware, so give it a try.

Goldrush

Is there a text message app that have pop-up notification in the white holo style? Found one in black, but white seems more consistent with the OS.

buhdeh

Mxplayer works pretty well for what I need.

I can't seem to find an option to browse my network drives here.

I like using DicePlayer currently. It doesn't have a problem jumping to different points of the film, remembers the point in time you last stopped playback (although only for the last thing watched), and handles subtitles pretty well. Its also recently changed from adware to donateware, so give it a try.

Just tried Dice Player, definitely like it but it freezes whenever I play avi files. I tried some 720p mkv files and they played normally but watching some sd avi files causes it to freeze after a second into the video. Any ideas? I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S III.

tino

Banned
I can't seem to find an option to browse my network drives here.

Just tried Dice Player, definitely like it but it freezes whenever I play avi files. I tried some 720p mkv files and they played normally but watching some sd avi files causes it to freeze after a second into the video. Any ideas? I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S III.

You probably won't find a player better than dice. I would look for a different version of that avi movie.

buhdeh

You probably won't find a player better than dice. I would look for a different version of that avi movie.

Yeah I really like Dice cause it has built-in network support but it freezes for ALL avi files. MKV works fine. I suspect it has something to do with the hardware acceleration. Ugh.

Bit-Bit

What's the best drawing app for tablets? I've got Sketchbook Mobile but not sure if I should shell out more dough for Sketchbook Pro.

I've seen Paper from 53 for iOS and I really like the water color look of their brush. Does Sketchbook Pro have a water color brush? It's my favorite style to color in.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah I really like Dice cause it has built-in network support but it freezes for ALL avi files. MKV works fine. I suspect it has something to do with the hardware acceleration. Ugh.

I have no problems playing AVI files with Dice Player on my Galaxy Nexus. I've only tried local files though.

EDIT: Tried streaming an AVI from my PC, no problems there either.

buhdeh

You have problem with ALL avi files? really. Maybe all your avi files were encoded in a particular way? Try an avi that was encoded by someone else.

But they play fine in literally every other video player including the stock TouchWiz player :(

crustikid

I know SwiftKey 3 fixed the double backspace issue in the Chrome search bar recently, but I've found that its still majorly frustrating to type something out and have the auto-correct pop in ".com" at the end of anything you enter. I wish there was a way to turn it off in Chrome only, but you can't so I switched back to the Jelly Bean keyboard. I ended up lengthening the haptic feedback from 5ms to 10ms (to match Swiftkey) for the default KB during keypress and now it feels better to use like Swiftkey.

tino

Banned
I'm using Astrid for tasks right now. Tasks looks like it's just about exactly the same as Astrid for task management, plus it allows you to write notes/memos. True?

Its just tasks, but it link to your google account. So you can access it from calendar.google.com

Socreges

Banned
Its just tasks, but it link to your google account. So you can access it from calendar.google.com
I'm confused. My question was "Which app do you guys use to write memos/notes?" and he responded with an app... that doesn't allow you to write memos/notes?

Gvaz

Banned
Is there an app that boosts the volume of the speaker for calls for the SGS3?

It's so fucking quiet, but the exterior speaker can get so loud...

Preferably something that is cheap.

You can use ES File Explorer to view your files on network devices and MX Player will show up as one of the options with which they can be opened.

DO NOT USE ES EXPLORER. It does not save edited files in root properly! Get root explorer instead.

Top Bottom