• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

buhdeh

Is there an app that boosts the volume of the speaker for calls for the SGS3?

It's so fucking quiet, but the exterior speaker can get so loud...

Preferably something that is cheap.

Doesn't the TouchWiz dialer have a boost volume feature?

Doopliss

I'm confused. My question was "Which app do you guys use to write memos/notes?" and he responded with an app... that doesn't allow you to write memos/notes?
Tasks stores (and syncs) lists of short pieces of text with a check box next to each. It has a scrollable widget to display a list on your home screen. There are no special categories of list, you just give each a title and use it for whatever you want.

I have lists for my backlogs of books and dvds, films I want to see, ideas for features to try and add to my ROM, random notes, a list of reasons why Game of Thrones season 2 was stupid and, yes, a list of tasks which I need to do.

DO NOT USE ES EXPLORER. It does not save edited files in root properly! Get root explorer instead.
Thanks for the warning. But it seems a bit excessive to command people not to use it at all because of one niche function that doesn't work properly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There's been some hub bub on xda about the new Instagram update causing battery issues. That explains why I've seen Android OS spike in my battery stats.

xxczx

still haven't updated instagram and probably won't now.

and does anyone else just never update their apps? i have 20 updates waiting. it always reminds me at the wrong time so i clear the notification and forget about it until the next one

Socreges

Banned
Tasks is a to-do list app I use to write memos and notes.

Tasks stores (and syncs) lists of short pieces of text with a check box next to each. It has a scrollable widget to display a list on your home screen. There are no special categories of list, you just give each a title and use it for whatever you want.

I have lists for my backlogs of books and dvds, films I want to see, ideas for features to try and add to my ROM, random notes, a list of reasons why Game of Thrones season 2 was stupid and, yes, a list of tasks which I need to do.

Thanks for the warning. But it seems a bit excessive to command people not to use it at all because of one niche function that doesn't work properly.
Thanks for clarifying. I switched from Astrid to Tasks just now. I like that it shows all the lines of text whereas Astrid only showed two. Unfortunately there's no urgency feature (eg, different colours) or option to share lists with other Tasks users. Might have to go back. Nothings perfect I guess.

Samiad

Wish I hadn't updated Mantano Reader Lite as the update took away some features that I liked. Only reason I did it was to remove that notification so it was a rookie mistake for sure.

_Isaac

What is the best podcast app?

Right now the options seem to be: Pocket Casts, BeyondPod, and DoggCatcher.

OH man. It's been a while since I actually played with DoggCatcher and I think I didn't get to try Pocket Casts. Possibly because there was no free/trial version. In the end I decided on BeyondPod. I liked the UI, the grouping, the download scheduling. Although DoggCatcher was nice too. I liked how DoggCatcher always had the player at the bottom, so it was easily accessible......soooooo....I choose BeyondPod and I don't remember why.

Hieberrr

OH man. It's been a while since I actually played with DoggCatcher and I think I didn't get to try Pocket Casts. Possibly because there was no free/trial version. In the end I decided on BeyondPod. I liked the UI, the grouping, the download scheduling. Although DoggCatcher was nice too. I liked how DoggCatcher always had the player at the bottom, so it was easily accessible......soooooo....I choose BeyondPod and I don't remember why.

I just gave Pocket Casts a try and it seemed decent enough. I'll give BeyondPod a run now :) the price is a little steep though.

buhdeh

Samsung has a podcast app called Kies Cast. It's decent and free for people who only listen to a few podcasts and don't need a lot of functionality. Downside is that Samsung decided to put ads in it... which is ridiculous for a company like Samsung.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Tried it about a month ago. Seems pretty good but I ended up sticking with the original Twitter app. I think I'm still waiting for Carbon lol. Whatever happened to that anyway?

Allegedly on track for a release soon, according to the dev's Twitter.

SumGamer

Trello is amazing if you have lots of tasks that need to go through sequential steps. I've been using it everyday for both my company work and my private stuff. Automatically synced with web version as well.

A bit overkill for occasional tasks but great tools for those juggling multiple tasks at once.

Nekrono

Hey guys I'm looking for an app that can help you with a car emergency on the go, for example the car doesn't start and you're stranded, an app that can give you a troubleshoot for common problems and solutions so you can at least get out from the emergency.

I've been looking for something like this for car and medical stuff, you never know when an emergency might rise and I think apps like these can even save your or someone else's life.

jokkir

I tried Tweedle again.

The app is the nicest looking Twitter app I tried so far but it's lacking in a lot of features. Trending topics, lists missing, I think (I don't really use lists but from what I can tell, it's not there), can't see between Interactions/Mentions like on the official Twitter app, and some other things.

I'm not sure if this is a API problem but yeah. I'll try it a bit longer and see if I like it or not. If you want a barebones Twitter app and just want to see Tweets, Mentions, Direct Messages, that have the added bonus of looking pretty, Tweedle is for you.

santouras

I've been using TweetLanes for twitter, rocks. Hopefully proper tablet layout comes soon, is said to be in the works.

Just came across Live Score Addicts for soccer/football results. Looks awesome, has great features as well. Taps into dailymotion for video highlights, shows formations etc. Will have more of an idea over the weekend when some games actually start :)

Donos

Samsung has a podcast app called Kies Cast. It's decent and free for people who only listen to a few podcasts and don't need a lot of functionality. Downside is that Samsung decided to put ads in it... which is ridiculous for a company like Samsung.

Giving an app the name of that horrible software is a mistake.

Threi

notag
DO NOT USE ES EXPLORER. It does not save edited files in root properly! Get root explorer instead.

...yeah you are going to have to explain this one more. I edit my build.prop constantly with ES File Explorer and have no problems with it.

I would recommend ES over any other file manager actually.

Okay guys I need a good recommendation for video/media players. My sister and I thought we'd take advantage of Amazon's DotD and got 32GB SDMicro cards for our phones. If you want to do the same I'd recommend buying a cheap DVD or something to get the 25 dollar minimum for free shipping as they really gouge you for shipping here.

I have an HTC Evo 4G with ICS and she has a Samsung Inspire with 2.2 or 2.3 can't remember which.

beje

Banned
I guess the main reason some people say ES doesn't work for them is because they forget to activate the option to mount /system/ as RW. I edit build.prop directly with it too and never had any kind of problem.

tino

Banned
Mostly just videos downloaded (some HD) from Youtube and MP3s of course, although the default MP3 player works just fine for the latter. The less I have to convert, the better.

If MX player and Mobo player can't do what you want then pay for Dice Player.

There is a youtube downloader call freedi you don't need to convert anything. Its on alternate android stores.

Goldrush

On a stock EVO 3D with ICS, is it common for WidgetLocker to not display display text messages or phone calls without unlocking? I did see settings that seems to deal with that, but it only works half the time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If MX player and Mobo player can't do what you want then pay for Dice Player.

There is a youtube downloader call freedi you don't need to convert anything. Its on alternate android stores.

Dice Player is free since a while back. Well, there was always a free ad-supported version, along with a payed-for one to remove the ads, but those are gone now. Now there's just an ad-free donation-ware version.

That's what I used when I was still on Android 2.x. The stock SMS app was terrible back then, and GoSMS was a very nice replacemet. However, as of Ice Cream Sandwich (and now Jelly Bean) I find the stock app to be perfectly fine, so I no longer see any reason to use anything else. Sure, it doesn't have half the options GoSMS has, but all I really want from an SMS app is something simple yet functional. The only thing I guess would be nice to have is SMS backup/sync functionality (which I think Android should support natively, but whatever).

jokkir

What's so special about replacement SMS apps anyway? I haven't bothered looking/trying them because the SMS apps are usually good enough for whatI need to do (send texts only pretty much). I'm on Jellybean/ICS if that's a difference.

What's so special about replacement SMS apps anyway? I haven't bothered looking/trying them because the SMS apps are usually good enough for whatI need to do (send texts only pretty much). I'm on Jellybean/ICS if that's a difference.

I'm using handsent instead of the default mainly because I couldnt get alternative message sounds to work on stock Jellybean

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

GoSMS for instance pops up when you receive a text and allows you to respond in the popup. I like that.

bedlamite

Purely aesthetic reasons for me, I use GoSMS with a Holo theme. The popup functionality Yaboosh mentioned is pretty handy though.

SimleuqiR

Facebook Is Forcing Its Employees To Use Android Phones Because Its Android App Is Just Awful

Facebook management realizes its Android app is subpar—and believes that the only way employees will take fixing it seriously is if they have to deal with its issues day in, day out.

They should suffer as much as we all did (using that app) for being incompetent.

In another happier news...Timer got a Jelly Bean update with new Dark Theme.

uQrcPfzWXcyiHkSkJ5rITGZ43X-HdtSDXqJFF1Y8O-EZsO1dfrwJLFA-CMK1NoOTrQ

Blackhead

Redarse
Facebook Is Forcing Its Employees To Use Android Phones Because Its Android App Is Just Awful

Facebook management realizes its Android app is subpar—and believes that the only way employees will take fixing it seriously is if they have to deal with its issues day in, day out.
They should suffer as much as we all did (using that app) for being incompetent.

Oh good. I had the suspicion that Facebook and Twitter didn't care about their android clients because they still pissed off about google+

SimleuqiR

Oh good. I had the suspicion that Facebook and Twitter didn't care about their android clients because they still pissed off about google+

They don't have to "share" data with Google, but it would be dumb of them to ignore such a huge userbase.

In twitter's app defense, it runs smooth - it just the layout and navigation suck.

tino

Banned

What are they doing to do? Make a really good WP8 client? LOL

A self respect smartphone user should ninstall the facebook app and use touch.facebook.com.

Top Bottom