• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

In the Galaxy S3 TouchWiz you can swipe up from anywhere and get to see the notification bar even in full screen apps. Is there a 3rd party app with the same feature?

They should suffer as much as we all did (using that app) for being incompetent.

In another happier news...Timer got a Jelly Bean update with new Dark Theme.

uQrcPfzWXcyiHkSkJ5rITGZ43X-HdtSDXqJFF1Y8O-EZsO1dfrwJLFA-CMK1NoOTrQ

Coincidentally needed a timer today, remembered your post lol

Beautiful and simplistic

Swag

Can anyone recommend a weather widget / app that looks as good as weather eye? It randomly can't fetch the weather anymore, quite annoying.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Can anyone recommend a weather widget / app that looks as good as weather eye? It randomly can't fetch the weather anymore, quite annoying.

I bought BeWeather Pro on sale, seems to work nice.

panda21

i'm starting to get really annoyed with apps that don't do background updates.

like i get on the train (no signal) and get out my phone to look at reddit or twitter, and theres no content because it hasn't updated since last time i had the app open.

are there any good reddit/twitter apps that can update in the background so you have recent content even if you aren't connect to the internet?

i think even google currents claims to do this, but never seems to actually do it for some reason.

Donos

Damn, "Awesome Drop" still not working for me. Seems to be an issue with ICS (based on comments in the play store). One X here but alot of people with S3 seem to have the same prob.
I type in the PIN an the page goes into " drop files here" mode but the phone still demands the pin again. Hope they fix this soon as i use this app alot. Don't want to use my cable or dropbox everytime.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The new Astro File manager looks really really nice:

I've been seeing a lot of updates in relation to the Nexus 7. The thing must be selling to make so many devs update their apps.

Wow, Astro actually looks nice now. It used to look so hideous.

Donos

I've been seeing a lot of updates in relation to the Nexus 7. The thing must be selling to make so many devs update their apps.

Yeah that looks nice. I think i will still miss the old shabby look a bit.

I was actually using Skydrive for my personal photos because they gave me 25 GB of storage.

I'm going to move them back to Dropbox or Google Drive. I have a lot of pics of my holidays at the beach. I won't risk my account of getting banned or losing some photos because somebody wasn't wearing a shirt.

3phemeral

I'm glad Metago finally finally redesigned Astro's horrible UI. It's also nice to know that their pro Key finally works for jelly bean. I think I'll start using this again--

Oh wait, force closes when I head into settings.

Ah well, looks nice anyways, even if it does crash and lag when swiping between each of the side-bar menu options.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The new version does look a hell of a lot better, but I think the actual file browsing experience is still better in Solid Explorer, even though it isn't as nicely Holo-fied.

Another great app that has been updated is DICE Player. The new version supports "pop-up play", so now you don't need an SGS3 to have a video window floating on the screen as you do other stuff. Works perfectly on my Galaxy Nexus, although it is of course almost completely pointless.

tino

Banned
The new version does look a hell of a lot better, but I think the actual file browsing experience is still better in Solid Explorer, even though it isn't as nicely Holo-fied.

Another great app that has been updated is DICE Player. The new version supports "pop-up play", so now you don't need an SGS3 to have a video window floating on the screen as you do other stuff. Works perfectly on my Galaxy Nexus, although it is of course almost completely pointless.

I do it all the time with forum youtube links. I use a different popup video player call stickit. The user experience is actully better than on a laptop.

dralla

eh I'm having 2 small, annoying problems with the Go Launcher Lock screen. When I first installed it, whenever I would unlock it would make a noise. The noise is gone now, all I get is a small vibrate. I've tried enabling the sound a billion times in the options but nothing. And second, whenever I turn my status bar off, it messes up the lock screen positioning, it gets shifted up to compensate for the lack of status bar at the top, it just looks real shitty. I really like not having the bar, it just looks nice with my wallpaper. Is this common, any way to fix this? I think I'm on Gingerbread, 2.3.6 it says.

edit. well i fixed the sound thing. now if i could only disable the status bar without it fucking up my lock screen :(

reKon

Banned

I guess this replacing Mx video on the touch pad then.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I might be liking FireFox 15 which just was pushed to me since Mozilla updates mobile in tandem with the desktop more than Chrome. It helps that Mozilla updates FF on Android. Google hasn't touched Chrome one iota since it went "stable" back in late June.

Today's FREE App of the Day on the Amazon Appstore for Android is Angry Birds (Ad-Free)

Previously (close to 18 months ago), Amazon has given away Angry Birds Seasons, and Angry Birds Rio was the first free app of the day ever, and only one of a select few (off the top of my head, SwiftKey was another) to be the free app twice, but this is the first time that the original Angry Birds was the free app of the day!

Ok, Android-GAF I take a quick picture with my phone and I want to upload it to am image sharing service to share on GAF. Is there an easy method to do this all from the phone? The Gallery sharing options don't seem to include any convenient links to copy.

moojito

Ok, Android-GAF I take a quick picture with my phone and I want to upload it to am image sharing service to share on GAF. Is there an easy method to do this all from the phone? The Gallery sharing options don't seem to include any convenient links to copy.

Having done absolutely no research into it at all, I'd guess this would involve downloading an app from a photo sharing site which puts an entry in the share menu common to most apps.

catmincer

Having done absolutely no research into it at all, I'd guess this would involve downloading an app from a photo sharing site which puts an entry in the share menu common to most apps.

I use SkyDrive for this sort of thing 'cause I had a Windows Phone prior and couldn't be assed changing to Dropbox. Seems to work well.

Doopliss

imgur.com
No need to download an app.

dralla

i do it all the time, minus.com, create account, download app. it's very simple and effective

Top Bottom