• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ok, Android-GAF I take a quick picture with my phone and I want to upload it to am image sharing service to share on GAF. Is there an easy method to do this all from the phone? The Gallery sharing options don't seem to include any convenient links to copy.

imgur.com
No need to download an app.

this. i've used it before to upload and post an image on GAF from my phone.

I use picasa. Do you need to download an imgur app?

no, you don't need the app. you can do it from the website in a mobile browser.

Amazon.com, Inc. today announced the launch of its Amazon Appstore in the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain, giving European customers access to Amazon’s broad selection of quality Android apps with the convenience of shopping on Amazon from their Android phones and tablets. Customers can get the Amazon Appstore for their Android phones and tablets by visiting www.amazon.co.uk/get-appstore.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
no, you don't need the app. you can do it from the website in a mobile browser.

There used to be apps that we're great. You could open a picture in Gallery, click the share menu, then hit the app to upload the picture. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like those apps exist anymore. Min.us has an app but it doesn't direct link to the image. Only their shitty site.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There used to be apps that we're great. You could open a picture in Gallery, click the share menu, then hit the app to upload the picture. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like those apps exist anymore. Min.us has an app but it doesn't direct link to the image. Only their shitty site.

What about this one (haven't tried it, so I don't know how well it works)?

Donos

So, i once read that the Apps from the Amazon store have to be updated from the amazon app and don't show up in the play store ?
Hmm, maybe going to try it out but i have all apps that i want so far and i don't really play games on the phone anymore. Maybe not worth to download Amazon now. Do they give the same app for free in all stores or do they differ between US store and Yurop?

3phemeral

So, i once read that the Apps from the Amazon store have to be updated from the amazon app and don't show up in the play store ?
Hmm, maybe going to try it out but i have all apps that i want so far and i don't really play games on the phone anymore. Maybe not worth to download Amazon now. Do they give the same app for free in all stores or do they differ between US store and Yurop?
Actually, a lot - if not all - of them do. In fact, it I update one with the Play Store, Amazon's Store will notify me of an update, but then Play Store will then notify me of an update. It's cyclical. Can be irritating to some. Plus, Amazon's updates have a tendency to ask that you uninstall the old version, which can lead to lost saved-game data.

Best app for searching and booking flights?

I used Hipmunk religiously, but I've recently experimented with Kayak and there are a ton of features that Hipmunk's mobile version doesn't offer. I also like kayaks notification-system offerings.

Donos

Amazon's updates have a tendency to ask that you uninstall the old version

? Just for games or also normal apps? That's a hassle. Going to wait till something interesting pops up for free on the Amazon store.

I think I've read that there's an app to show what is keeping the phone awake. Is there such a thing?

j6mCb.png

kehs

Banned
I remember posting the app, but I'm not sure what it is. Theres an app that let's you share to a different browser. So you can open one page in chrome for example without having to copy/paste the address.

rizz

Neo Member
Just installed swype. Had this huge grin in my face as I used it for the first time. Who knew typing on a tiny touch screen keyboard could actually be fun :D

Levi

Banned
Saw a significant negative impact on performance running Stickmount on my Nexus 7, even when no cable was connected. Is that normal? I uninstalled it, but I already miss being able to access the videos on my 32GB flash drive.

SimleuqiR

Submarino Conversível;41729848 said:
Anyone uses Unlock With WiFi?

I really like the app, but it seems to be draining my battery (GSM GNex with JellyBean)

Been using it since my Nexus One days...never have had issue with the battery draining. I always set it to disable Wifi when out of range from a trusted Wifi connection.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
What is the best website for information on Android apps and games? Something similar to Touch Arcade for iOS except for all apps?

KuGsj.gif
What the hell happened to Carbon (Twitter client)?

Honestly where do I start with this..

Basically the dev announced publicly he would do a free release and said it would be with us by a certain date (can't remember which). Said it was going to be free, with no ads. Wanted to do paid, cos he had heard rumours Google would open paid apps for devs in Dubai, which turned out to be just that - a rumour. So he decided he may as well go free.

A week before release and without telling anyone, he decided to make major design changes. He effectively blamed this for the delay of the app, said he only wanted to release a perfect app and accused other Twitter apps (Boid in not so many words) of copying some of his designs as revealed in images he'd released of the app. I think the complaint he was making was using icons for the column headers, which is hardly revolutionary stuff.

Up until the day of release he was still saying he *might* release it on time (His language had went from definitely releasing on time to 'should' in the week leading up to the big day... I could tell something was up). Only after he missed the deadline (and about a week after) did he put up a post on G+ explaining the delay and the big design changes. As any project manager knows if you make big changes to something a week before deadline, you won't make deadline. He must have known this, but still kept us all in the dark and didn't fess up. After this went down a bunch of people got annoyed because the dev has missed deadlines and said 'real soon' on countless occasions, barely communicates the status of the product and expects you to have read his sporadic individual replies to tweets about the status of the products even though he hasn't tweeted them with a . at the front so people following him on Twitter can see the content of the replies, nor has he maintained a product blog or google doc or anything else which might answer frequently asked questions. Something the Boid guys have understood since day one. Dev then gets annoyed at users feeling entitled as it's free and he is under no obligation to release.

What he doesn't understand is that we don't like the fact that someone creating a communication/social app has zero to little interaction with the community and cannot use Twitter effectively to communicate goals/status updates which would actually help him by maintaining the hype and giving him credibility. At this point anyone who complains about the lack of the app or his awful communication style is a troll. Anyone who apologises on his behalf is ok, but still no news on Carbon. He is now saying he won't say anything at all until the app gets released.

Honestly the guy doesn't know shit about how to communicate with his customer base or to creating goodwill for his app. In the meantime Tweetlanes and others are making major steps forward. Whilst I believe the app is real (major names from the android community have been in the beta) I am doubtful if it will ever release given Twitters new rules re 3rd parties.

In short I think the developer may make great apps but has appalling PR skills and can't plan and deliver effectively.

kehs

Banned
TvFavs got a major overhaul. Much better than before, but its a little odd on the N7. I wish developers would embrace the vertically stack fragments for portrait on tablets instead of side to side.

On the ridiculous scale the following ranks about 173 on a scale of one to ten: in app purchase for light/dark holo themes. wtf

TvFavs got a major overhaul. Much better than before, but its a little odd on the N7. I wish developers would embrace the vertically stack fragments for portrait on tablets instead of side to side.

On the ridiculous scale the following ranks about 173 on a scale of one to ten: in app purchase for light/dark holo themes. wtf

Based on this post I went into the Play store to specifically update the app. Maybe I'm retarded but I don't remember having created an account before for TVShow Favs, but am now being asked to log in. Using the only two email accounts I use to reset the password results in my being told that the email account is not associated with any user. Kinda pissed right now as I had to reset all my preferences and tv shows after the app came out of beta already and I'm really not in the mood right now to do this again.

kehs

Banned
Sorry. Though I'm pretty sure the app has always required a log in as far as I remember.

fwiw I had to do the same and the email I did use resulted in the same not found message.

Sorry. Though I'm pretty sure the app has always required a log in as far as I remember.

fwiw I had to do the same and the email I did use resulted in the same not found message.

Did you create a new account or is there a workaround? There is no replacement so I'm eventually going to set it back up again. Thank god we're still a few weeks away from everything starting back up again.

For anyone reading this and being turned off because of the above, it's a beautiful app that has no equal on Android for what it does.

Well, it looks like it was a bug as the dev released a new version today to fix authentication issues people were experiencing.

Myself, I decided to try the password reset one last time before I emailed the dev for help and it worked finally.

Angst

I want to give in an use one of these apps, but I still can't get over my irrational hesitance over having all my passwords in one place.

Where do you store them now? Gmail/excel/nuclear storage facility? File is encrypted with 256 bit and it's not stored on the app maker's site so even if your dropbox is hacked they still have to force the database encryption. I sleep well at night at least.

kehs

Banned
Where do you store them now? Gmail/excel/nuclear storage facility? File is encrypted with 256 bit and it's not stored on the app maker's site so even if your dropbox is hacked they still have to force the database encryption. I sleep well at night at least.

In my brain, which is why I spend 5 minutes figuring out passwords I don't remember. =D

Like I said, it's irrational to not want to use since I know it's super secure.

Angst

This is what I have been using for years. Just copy the .kdb files wherever you need them. It runs on every platform.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.keepass&feature=nav_result

Yep, that works. I previously used passdroid which doesn't have any sync features, but I switched to SafeInCloud because it looks good and because of Dropbox sync.

Besides, keeping them in your head makes for rather lame passwords instead of the ones you randomly generate with a password app.

¤Er£TS_eew98!_\
for example

tino

Banned
Submarino Conversível;42002704 said:
Guys, how can I use Folder Sync to auto upload photos do my Box.net account? I want to use it like the Dropbox app does, but can't figure it out.

Create a sync pair. Then set it to always sync.

Top Bottom