• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I had to take some antibiotics and an alarm clock that would ring every N hours would have been a very handy app!

Someone can point me to something like this?

MNC

Can someone recommend me some good pc to android? I have never tried it and i womder 2hat tge best setip is for it. Is it noemally pc to ædroid? I prefer a free solution.

Holy shit i was half sleeping whem i typed that i meant video streaming. Whats the best way, for free? Do you actually like doing it?

I want to try stuff with my phone. Thing like the android as a mouse for pc, or teamviewer.

sca2511

Can someone recommend me some good pc to android? I have never tried it and i womder 2hat tge best setip is for it. Is it noemally pc to ædroid? I prefer a free solution.

Holy shit i was half sleeping whem i typed that i meant video streaming. Whats the best way, for free? Do you actually like doing it?

I want to try stuff with my phone. Thing like the android as a mouse for pc, or teamviewer.

I use Unified Remote for my phone/tablet to act as a keyboard/mouse on my PC. I also use MediaHouse UPNP/DLNA Browser to watch videos streaming from my PC. As a server, I use PS3 Media Server

voodooray

For video streaming, I have been trying different apps out that can meet the following:

1. Able to resume where last watched between viewing sessions
2. Instant playback when jumping around the length of the video

So far, DicePlayer is consistently the one I use to watch anything with, and works very well. It recently became free as well.

I used to use Quicker (settings launcher that is clicked on from drop down menu) but the flashlight stopped working once the SII got the 4.0.4 update.

Is there a settings app with drop down menu clickability like Quicker with a working flashlight on ICS?

kehs

Banned
So Launcher 7 had an update recently that makes it run much better on my NS.

I see there's an option for live tile support, so I guess apps can opt in, which is pretty cool, but I doubt many devs will support it.

tino

Banned
I used to use Quicker (settings launcher that is clicked on from drop down menu) but the flashlight stopped working once the SII got the 4.0.4 update.

Is there a settings app with drop down menu clickability like Quicker with a working flashlight on ICS?

Notification Toggle has a $1 plug in that let you call any app shortcuts. So you can use it to launch an app or call a shortcut within that app.

snack

I just got a S3 last week. What are some apps you guys can't live without? I only have SwiftKey3 and I'm finding it as good as what people said.

Hieberrr

Honestly where do I start with this..

Basically the dev announced publicly he would do a free release and said it would be with us by a certain date (can't remember which). Said it was going to be free, with no ads. Wanted to do paid, cos he had heard rumours Google would open paid apps for devs in Dubai, which turned out to be just that - a rumour. So he decided he may as well go free.

A week before release and without telling anyone, he decided to make major design changes. He effectively blamed this for the delay of the app, said he only wanted to release a perfect app and accused other Twitter apps (Boid in not so many words) of copying some of his designs as revealed in images he'd released of the app. I think the complaint he was making was using icons for the column headers, which is hardly revolutionary stuff.

Up until the day of release he was still saying he *might* release it on time (His language had went from definitely releasing on time to 'should' in the week leading up to the big day... I could tell something was up). Only after he missed the deadline (and about a week after) did he put up a post on G+ explaining the delay and the big design changes. As any project manager knows if you make big changes to something a week before deadline, you won't make deadline. He must have known this, but still kept us all in the dark and didn't fess up. After this went down a bunch of people got annoyed because the dev has missed deadlines and said 'real soon' on countless occasions, barely communicates the status of the product and expects you to have read his sporadic individual replies to tweets about the status of the products even though he hasn't tweeted them with a . at the front so people following him on Twitter can see the content of the replies, nor has he maintained a product blog or google doc or anything else which might answer frequently asked questions. Something the Boid guys have understood since day one. Dev then gets annoyed at users feeling entitled as it's free and he is under no obligation to release.

What he doesn't understand is that we don't like the fact that someone creating a communication/social app has zero to little interaction with the community and cannot use Twitter effectively to communicate goals/status updates which would actually help him by maintaining the hype and giving him credibility. At this point anyone who complains about the lack of the app or his awful communication style is a troll. Anyone who apologises on his behalf is ok, but still no news on Carbon. He is now saying he won't say anything at all until the app gets released.

Honestly the guy doesn't know shit about how to communicate with his customer base or to creating goodwill for his app. In the meantime Tweetlanes and others are making major steps forward. Whilst I believe the app is real (major names from the android community have been in the beta) I am doubtful if it will ever release given Twitters new rules re 3rd parties.

In short I think the developer may make great apps but has appalling PR skills and can't plan and deliver effectively.

Thanks for the recap! Yeah, I figured it wasn't going to be released with the way he was making up excuses. For shame...

Toge

Are good apps which sync my sms texts via tethered wifi with my Android tablet? I'm using Ics on the hp touch pad and my phone.

Is there a way to install the Amazon App store on my HTC One X in Canada? I can't seem to find it on my Play Store. Might have been region locked.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is there a way to install the Amazon App store on my HTC One X in Canada? I can't seem to find it on my Play Store. Might have been region locked.

I don't think you can download the Amazon app store from Google Play in any region. You have to get it directly from Amazon's website.

Insaniac

Hey guys just got an android phone, first one, so I wanted to use desktop launcher to create a shortcut to send a group text but I can't do it with that, so I was wondering is there an easy way to send a group text at the press of an app?

Altazor

for the Jelly bean guys: did you like the new Astro File Manager UI? I, for one, love it (and the way you can access your Dropbox!) but every now and then I see the reviews in the marketplace and a lot of people are going IT SUCKS I LIKED THE OLD ONE BETTER I WANT IT IN MY LANGUAGE SO IT SUCKS and so on. It kinda gets on my nerves. Then again, it's just marketplace reviews, it's like Youtube comments.

filipe

for the Jelly bean guys: did you like the new Astro File Manager UI? I, for one, love it (and the way you can access your Dropbox!) but every now and then I see the reviews in the marketplace and a lot of people are going IT SUCKS I LIKED THE OLD ONE BETTER I WANT IT IN MY LANGUAGE SO IT SUCKS and so on. It kinda gets on my nerves. Then again, it's just marketplace reviews, it's like Youtube comments.

Anyone would could possibly complain about the new UI is an idiot. The new UI is miles ahead of the old one and the app in general is just awesome.

3phemeral

I really hate the "Local Storage" options. On my tf101, I have Local Storahe 1-4, and internal storage is actual 2, while external msd is 1. Dumb. The other two storage options are USB 1 + 2.

Altazor

I really hate the "Local Storage" options. On my tf101, I have Local Storahe 1-4, and internal storage is actual 2, while external msd is 1. Dumb. The other two storage options are USB 1 + 2.

yeah, took me a bit to find out "local storage 1" was my "internal SD" and "local storage 2" was the "external SD". I think maybe they could change the labels or something, to make it less confusing... or maybe I'm just dense :p

Zeth

Did the "top picks for tablets" (something like that) section in the Play store disappear recently? I liked to check that occasionally.

kehs

Banned

I used to use astro and changed because of the ui. From what I've seen it looks tons better. Those people complaining are insane. The old ui was balls.

Might give it a shot again.

Altazor

I used to use astro and changed because of the ui. From what I've seen it looks tons better. Those people complaining are insane. The old ui was balls.

Might give it a shot again.

that's what pisses me off - the old UI was atrocious, like a relic from 2001. I can't believe there's some people complaining about it.

Then again, I've been a lot of Android customizations with horrible low-res fonts and gradients and "bubbly" glossy icons. Ugh.

Flash

I just couldn't bring myself to use astro because as you guys have already said, it was painful to look at. Saw the screens of the new UI and it looks wayyyy better now. I might check it out later.

voodooray

Why aren't you guys use ef explorer? It has fast network access and root editing support. Its the best.

I do have it, but have tended to use X-plore File Manager the most. I like pushing/pulling files off of my other networked machines quite often, and the dual tree layout it supports gets around that annoying bug-bear, when long directories need to refresh, and you lose your indexed place in the scrolled list of files.

ibziyP1t6Naqaj.jpg

JonnyBrad

I only read marketplace reviews for people with my device now. It helps remove the "crashes on startup 1*" I just downloaded it. The only thing I don't like is that the swipes to left and right to settings don't feel right. They snap back to quickly. Other than that I like it.

dosh

Oh my fucking hell, Unified Remote is so amazing. I've been using this basic pointer app, but this is so much cooler/better. Spotify and VLC support?!
It's the best remote app I've ever used. The switch option is great. And it's really clean and nice looking. I'd get the full version, but I don't know if the Winamp remote gives access to the library to select albums.

Altazor

I only read marketplace reviews for people with my device now. It helps remove the "crashes on startup 1*" I just downloaded it. The only thing I don't like is that the swipes to left and right to settings don't feel right. They snap back to quickly. Other than that I like it.

yeah, the swipes feel a bit rusty.

reKon

Banned
Oh my fucking hell, Unified Remote is so amazing. I've been using this basic pointer app, but this is so much cooler/better. Spotify and VLC support?!

I'm using the app right now... this is truly amazing. Going to be using this to control all my media wirelessly from now on.

reKon

Banned
I got it a long time ago and I barely make any use of it. How much can it control exactly?

It let me control winamp by using the general media controls. I just like the fact that I can do all of this wirelessly rather than plugging in my Nexus to play the music.

_Isaac

It let me control winamp by using the general media controls. I just like the fact that I can do all of this wirelessly rather than plugging in my Nexus to play the music.

Why can't you just control it on your pc? Or are you talking about the music ON your Nexus?

reKon

Banned
Why can't you just control it on your pc? Or are you talking about the music ON your Nexus?

If I'm having people over and playing music, my laptop is connected to the speakers and I'd rather be able to control the music from anywhere in the room because I don't like having to go over to change the track every time.

Toge

=Altazor;42193933]I personally use LOOKOUT and it has been enough. I remember reading a website that declared it one of the top mobile AV (not THE top, though) a while ago.[/QUOTE]
Thanks will have a look at that. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Top Bottom