• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

womp

The new update to Feedly is wonderful on my Nexus 7. Worth checking out....Much better than Flipboard on Android.

joaomgcd

If I'm having people over and playing music, my laptop is connected to the speakers and I'd rather be able to control the music from anywhere in the room because I don't like having to go over to change the track every time.

Since you like controlling stuff on your PC with your phone why not try the latest AutoRemote beta? It brings EventGhost on Windows and Tasker on Android together so you can automate and remote control eachother to your heart's desire. :)

Read more about it here: http://goo.gl/TzC8k

Cudder

for the Jelly bean guys: did you like the new Astro File Manager UI? I, for one, love it (and the way you can access your Dropbox!) but every now and then I see the reviews in the marketplace and a lot of people are going IT SUCKS I LIKED THE OLD ONE BETTER I WANT IT IN MY LANGUAGE SO IT SUCKS and so on. It kinda gets on my nerves. Then again, it's just marketplace reviews, it's like Youtube comments.

Absolutely not. The new UI may look "cleaner", but it hampers usability to the nth degree. It takes longer to do everything now. I don't need my file managers overhauled to look like this. It's way more confusing. A lot of shit is either hidden under they're terrible new UI, or just plain not there.

You can't even unzip files anymore, which was one of the things I used to do most often with Astro.

I used Astro for years, but with the new update I immediately changed to another FM.

Altazor

Absolutely not. The new UI may look "cleaner", but it hampers usability to the nth degree. It takes longer to do everything now. I don't need my file managers overhauled to look like this. It's way more confusing. A lot of shit is either hidden under they're terrible new UI, or just plain not there.

You can't even unzip files anymore, which was one of the things I used to do most often with Astro.

I used Astro for years, but with the new update I immediately changed to another FM.

ouch! thanks for that, considering the feedback around here was mostly positive - it's refreshing to see a valid negative opinion. Of course I can't really disagree with it since I never really used Astro in depth before the UI overhaul (just like a day or two).

Threi

notag
Just tried the new astro...it looks beautiful but it is indeed a bit too convoluted for it's own good. Less is more.

I have about 5 different file managers installed for some reason, but out of all of them i find myself using Solid Explorer the most. The dual-window browsing is genius. The UI is also pretty clean but not holo though.

ES is still pretty great as well, but that needs a UI overhaul badly...looks pretty outdated now.

Submarino Conversível;42299548 said:
I would also recommend Feedly

And I'm gonna throw in reader HD. Also paid and free available.

Just tried the new astro...it looks beautiful but it is indeed a bit too convoluted for it's own good. Less is more.

I have about 5 different file managers installed for some reason, but out of all of them i find myself using Solid Explorer the most. The dual-window browsing is genius. The UI is also pretty clean but not holo though.

ES is still pretty great as well, but that needs a UI overhaul badly...looks pretty outdated now.
I'm kinda still sticking to the IMO most simple one out there that gets the job done, Root Explorer.

Kibbles

There's your solution. Haxsync got a fairly major upgrade last week too. Just make sure you download the Jelly Bean work around!

I heard it doesn't add numbers though, is that true? I used to have facebook contacts synced on my Infuse but they all got wiped out when I flashed to Jellybean.

Sorry for doublepost but need a little help.

What's the best app for storing/syncing photos online without quality loss and with a good interface for watching those photos from phones and PC? I heard that Google resizes all photos uploaded so no thanks googy.

Dropbox any good for that?

Just now started to get into all the cloud stuff.

Angst

What's the best app for storing/syncing photos online without quality loss and with a good interface for watching those photos from phones and PC? I heard that Google resizes all photos uploaded so no thanks googy.

Dropbox works. Plus, uploading photos to your db gives you more space on your account.

BobTheBub

Google+ Instant upload does resize but the resized images are larger than 1080p so for most purposes it wont be much of an issue.

Picasa Web albums do allow full sync from a PC at original sizes but you only get 1GB storage without paying for extra.

Given that you can present Picasa web albums within Google+ they are really easy to show on a phone.

Thanks.

I'll just try dropbox first then.

I don't use Google+ and I would just like to have the pictures in original size for convenience.

Tried Picasa on PC a while ago and didn't like it, especially when you first run it it immediately starts scanning the PC for pictures.

Ixian

At the moment I use Dropbox, and then on my laptop (a Macbook Air), there's a script running that automatically imports photos found in the Dropbox directory into my actual iPhoto collection in case I ever need to free up some Dropbox space.

3phemeral

I just updated last night and they have a feature where you can make your own widgets?

What?

I have to make my own widgets?

LLShC.gif

PARANO1A

I can't believe none of the "flashy" Reader apps allow two very basic options that both the site and the official apply do: browsing oldest to newest (rather than going back in time) along with browsing all items rather than per folder. Both seem very common sense to me and glaring omissions.

Gaaraz

Great thread, thank you! Just coming in from iOS and have to say the app store is somewhat disappointing (there doesn't seem to be anything good that I couldn't get for my iPhone, and a whole load of stuff that you can't get on Android!) but mostly liking my phone.

Just wondering:

1) Can anyone please recommend any killer apps, or maybe even widgets, that I can play around with on my S3?

2) Is there anyway whatsoever I can run the Plex app, and send the stream to my Apple TV over AirPlay?

But basically every other HTC phone gets it.
Apparently the "unique architecture" of the Desire HD messes up 4.0
Sigh.

Yeah, that's bullshit. Root, install the Jellytime ROM, and you've got Jellybean running fast as hell on the Desire HD.

The issue why HTC doesn't put it out themselves is because of the way they had allocated space on the device, meaning there's a high possibility of data on the device getting messed up when updating, so they can't really push it out willy nilly to everyone. Solution is to back up first, and then update, and you're good to go. The speed difference is like you just bought a new phone, so it's definitely worth it.

Nicktendo86

Sorry if already posted but they have a nice update for Nova Launcher out, bug fixes ect but they have also incorporated jelly bean launcher features such as widgets moving out of the way when you try to place another widget/app and the ability to just fling apps upwards to remove from your home screen. Very nice, gone back to Nova now as my default launcher. Couple with Fitsnugly's AOKP roms it really is the perfect GNexus experience.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, that's bullshit. Root, install the Jellytime ROM, and you've got Jellybean running fast as hell on the Desire HD.

The issue why HTC doesn't put it out themselves is because of the way they had allocated space on the device, meaning there's a high possibility of data on the device getting messed up when updating, so they can't really push it out willy nilly to everyone. Solution is to back up first, and then update, and you're good to go. The speed difference is like you just bought a new phone, so it's definitely worth it.

I never rooted my phone, but thanks to you,I will now try it!
Thanks man!

JonnyBrad

Sorry if already posted but they have a nice update for Nova Launcher out, bug fixes ect but they have also incorporated jelly bean launcher features such as widgets moving out of the way when you try to place another widget/app and the ability to just fling apps upwards to remove from your home screen. Very nice, gone back to Nova now as my default launcher. Couple with Fitsnugly's AOKP roms it really is the perfect GNexus experience.

I'l give it a try. It felt like a downgrade on my nexus 7 when i last tried it because of the lack of JB features.

Thanks for the info, so I can finally go back to Nova, was missing all those JB features. Looks good so far.

Gnex+CNA+Nova is a roid raigin' machine

Nicktendo86

Thanks for the info, so I can finally go back to Nova, was missing all those JB features. Looks good so far.

Gnex+CNA+Nova is a roid raigin' machine

I also kept getting a bug with nova, when I pressed the app draw button it would do a weird double open animation, that seems to have been sorted now as well :)

reKon

Banned
I also kept getting a bug with nova, when I pressed the app draw button it would do a weird double open animation, that seems to have been sorted now as well :)

oh man, I wish I could have helped you guys out earlier. This has been fixed ever since the 1.3 betas, which have been going for well over a month (when you check for update you can choose a beta option). But yeah Nova launcher runs great.

On my touchpad though, Nova 1.3 runs much worse when navigating through the homescreens compared to on 1.2. The strange thing is that at app/widgets drawer there's no longer lags when I scroll there is no longer lag and it's very smooth compared to how it was in 1.2. Basically, everything is reversed, lol... I want smooth performance in both areas! Come on...

buhdeh

I can't believe none of the "flashy" Reader apps allow two very basic options that both the site and the official apply do: browsing oldest to newest (rather than going back in time) along with browsing all items rather than per folder. Both seem very common sense to me and glaring omissions.

You mean Google Reader? I use gReader and it does both of those.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I can do these two things with Good News.

Nicktendo86

oh man, I wish I could have helped you guys out earlier. This has been fixed ever since the 1.3 betas, which have been going for well over a month (when you check for update you can choose a beta option). But yeah Nova launcher runs great.

On my touchpad though, Nova 1.3 runs much worse when navigating through the homescreens compared to on 1.2. The strange thing is that at app/widgets drawer there's no longer lags when I scroll there is no longer lag and it's very smooth compared to how it was in 1.2. Basically, everything is reversed, lol... I want smooth performance in both areas! Come on...

Ssssssugar, thanks anyway! Have beta ticked now.

Top Bottom