• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Threi

notag
Nova was always da bess (at least if you used the betas)

i dunno wtf is going on with apex lately...how are you going to release an update to the market that FC's on startup for everyone? Not a good look.

Nicktendo86

i dunno wtf is going on with apex lately...how are you going to release an update to the market that FC's on startup for everyone? Not a good look.
Shit, really? I always liked apex but found nova more stable.

So thats whats going on, my Apex doesnt work anymore, is there any way to fix it?

xxczx

I liked Nova for the whole 5 minutes I used it until I realised I'd have to pay £2.50 to hide apps in the drawer.

Straight back to Apex.

Gaaraz

What benefits do Nova and Apex over over S3's TouchWiz? Also would I be right in thinking the performance with them could be a little worse, since they essentially run over TouchWiz?

Nicktendo86

What benefits do Nova and Apex over over S3's TouchWiz? Also would I be right in thinking the performance with them could be a little worse, since they essentially run over TouchWiz?

I think the main thing is personal preference, Nova/Apex look like the stock lancher but you may prefer the look of the S3's touchwhiz. Personally I perfer the stock look.

It also has stock features that for some reason Samsung leaves of of touchwhiz such as the ability to drag and drop apps to make a folder.

You have nothing to lose by downloading them and trying, you can always delete them. I don't think they would hit the perfomance, as far as I understand it when you launch a new launcher the stock one 'freezes' so only one launcher is actually running at one time. I may be wrong with this however so perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could clarify...

Gaaraz

Ah, that is perfect, thank you! I notice they also have things like unread badges etc for certain apps, so that along with creating folders etc it'd probably feel like a nicer transition from iOS too!

Being very shallow, I'm going to have to take Nova out of the equation right away... dat animation between pages!

(edit) card stack ftw.

Not sure whether to go with Apex, TouchWiz or Nova now!

Nicktendo86

Ah, that is perfect, thank you! I notice they also have things like unread badges etc for certain apps, so that along with creating folders etc it'd probably feel like a nicer transition from iOS too!

Being very shallow, I'm going to have to take Nova out of the equation right away... dat animation between pages!

You can change the animation, you get more if you upgrade to the paid version :)

Personally after trying both paid versions of Apex & Nova I really like them both but only go with Nova as I feel it is a little more stable.

Gaaraz

Thank you Nick, I'll give all three of them a try and see how I get on with them... Nova being the most stable (even compared to TouchWiz?) is a huge plus for me though!

Nicktendo86

Thank you Nick, I'll give all three of them a try and see how I get on with them... Nova being the most stable (even compared to TouchWiz?) is a huge plus for me though!

Can't speak for the S3 but Nova was deffo smoother/more stable on my S2 than touchwiz. I've played with my brother's S3 and found it to be very stable but I think Nova just beats it. This is what I love about Android though, the ability to try out new things and see what best works for you :)

Gaaraz

Thanks both, that's part of my problem when trying to decide between them;

I'm really liking the speed of Nova, the features of Apex and the widgets (Calendar, Weather) of TouchWiz - argh! :)

JonnyBrad

Nova has margin problems on the Nexus 7. Its impossible to get the icons to line up exactly as they do on the stock launcher whichever margin setting i use.

reKon

Banned
Nova is perfect on my Gnex. On my touchpad, 1.3 runs like shit. It must be related to cm9 not being optimized for it? I reverted back to 1.2 and have to just sea with the slightly laggy app drawer (which I never use)

pr0cs

Touchwiz sucks. But I can't live without the touchwiz calendar widget nor do I want to pay for a replacement widget.

Really? it's not that good, rather boring really.

The calendar widgets (there are several) in the Wizz app are much better and a lot more configurable.

Swag

Just checked out Catch after the update, looks so good with the new interface and the new features are excellent, feels a bit redundant having Astrid and Catch installed on my phone. If it wasn't for the Locale plug-in I probably would have uninstalled Astrid.

Gaaraz

The Wizz widgets look great, thank you - not particularly good reviews and they don't work with Nova though, is there anything else I should consider?

Catch looks really good too! I'm really big on Evernote to be honest but looking at it now, I'm tempted to make the switch...

3phemeral

Do any of the motion sensor alarms that have become popular actually work or are they mostly full of shit?

I don't even know how that would work unless you had your camera running on 24/7. I don't think any phones have any radar-based motion sensitivity other than the proximity sensor, which doesn't operate at nearly the required magnitude for that sort of app to be functional.

Unless, of course, they mean motion-sensing as in gyroscopic/accelerometer sensing.

Swag

I believe it's gyroscopic / accelerometer, but I just can't see how it would be able to graph out efficiency of sleep based on movement, I feel like it functions similar to the silent alarm on the Galaxy S3, just plays an alarm the moment it feels the phone moving within a certain amount of time that the alarm is supposed to go off.

Gaaraz

I had one (SleepCycle?) on my iPhone and it worked surprisingly well - can't see why it wouldn't work just as well on the S3. Worth a try I'd say.

torontoml

I asked in the S3 thread but didn't get an answer, I am using Go-SMS but if I try to use lightflow to control the LED I don't get led notifications anymore, anyone know how I can fix this?

mantidor

So best rss reader out there?

I was really liking flipboard but it doesn't let you customize the cover, screw that. gReader, NewsRob, Feedly, all great, but all force me to sync with my google account and I do not want to do that.

Then theres Pulse, but the interface is terrible for cellphones, Flipboard is a million times better. I guess I'm stuck into that, but it really pisses me off I'm being feedforced whatever crappy news they think I'm going to like, I have my own rss's for a reason.

Any other options I should explore?, I just want something simple that lets me navigate easily, is all an rss app should do. A nice widget is also a plus.

I was really liking flipboard but it doesn't let you customize the cover, screw that. gReader, NewsRob, Feedly, all great, but all force me to sync with my google account and I do not want to do that.

Then theres Pulse, but the interface is terrible for cellphones, Flipboard is a million times better. I guess I'm stuck into that, but it really pisses me off I'm being feedforced whatever crappy news they think I'm going to like, I have my own rss's for a reason.

Any other options I should explore?, I just want something simple that lets me navigate easily, is all an rss app should do. A nice widget is also a plus.

Taptu, News360, Google Currents are decent solutions.

Currents is tied to your google account of course but doesn't sync your RSS feeds. It gives you the option to subscribe to pages seperatly from your RSS list. I use it the most for news.

Taptu is similar to Pulse has also nice widgets.

Salsa

uh?

I dont understand. Im using Flipboard and I can customize all my feeds

edit: oh you mean like the big feed at the top. Never use that, just read a bit of each subject/feed im interested in

yogloo

Really? it's not that good, rather boring really.

The calendar widgets (there are several) in the Wizz app are much better and a lot more configurable.

Wizz widget looks good but the permissions are kinda scary.
Your messages, storage, system tools, phone calls, network, your accounts, your personal information.

Fantasmo

Sorry if already posted but they have a nice update for Nova Launcher out, bug fixes ect but they have also incorporated jelly bean launcher features such as widgets moving out of the way when you try to place another widget/app and the ability to just fling apps upwards to remove from your home screen. Very nice, gone back to Nova now as my default launcher. Couple with Fitsnugly's AOKP roms it really is the perfect GNexus experience.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!

My Nexus 7 now has a Landscape capable home-screen (perfect for using the horizontal stand of my leather case on my lap in bed) and I have all the smoothness and capabilities of Jelly Bean :-D

Looks like some apps are coming up as 25p in the UK (grannysSmith, angry birds space premium, ocean hd) although no splash screen on the front of the play store linking to all sale items yet.

Gimme gimme gimme!

pr0cs

Is this the best office software? I have some free one called Kingsoft Office that lets you do a lot already.

it's 0.25$, even if Kingsoft does a lot, this gives you another alternative for what it might not do.

The last 0.10$ sale I bought nearly everything. For a dime it's a no-brainer, even if you rarely use the software.

Dunlop

Do you need to be under the account that purchased the software to run the app?

I wan't to put some apps on my wife's phone (i.e swiftkey), I have no issue rebuying them but I do not want to tie my CC to her wallet account as there is no authentication on purchases. My kids swipe her phone all the time and I imaging I will own half of google play if they had the chance

Fantasmo

Do you need to be under the account that purchased the software to run the app?

I wan't to put some apps on my wife's phone (i.e swiftkey), I have no issue rebuying them but I do not want to tie my CC to her wallet account as there is no authentication on purchases. My kids swipe her phone all the time and I imaging I will own half of google play if they had the chance

I know this works on Nexus 7, not sure about your wife's phone but check the Play Store preferences under settings, you can set a PIN code to purchase, tie a CC, and be totally safe as long as the kids don't know the PIN.

2 caveats:
1) This must be done on each Android device you have.
2) play.google.com on PC lets you buy stuff without a PIN, again, it's device dependent, so make sure you're not not signed into the associated gmail account on your PC while the rugrats are nearby.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Bought Office Suite, never know maybe I'll need to use it one day..

I was going to buy draw something but I doubt I'd play it and isn't that app fad kinda dying anyway?

Top Bottom