• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

mantidor

uh?

I dont understand. Im using Flipboard and I can customize all my feeds

edit: oh you mean like the big feed at the top. Never use that, just read a bit of each subject/feed im interested in

Yeah, actually it has a terrible widget that only shows the cover stories, precisely the ones I don't care about.

womp

I don't understand the draw to Flipboard (One item per screen etc), Feedly is basically the same idea but much better IMO.

Hieberrr

I don't understand the draw to Flipboard (One item per screen etc), Feedly is basically the same idea but much better IMO.

Word. Although I've grown accustom to Currents. Offline reading for all my articles with pictures = AWESOME. It makes reading on the bus/subway much easier since I don't have to carry around a huge newspaper. That and I have 6 different feeds on their (half news, the other half sports and architecture).

GOOD STUFF.

womp

The only downside of Feedly is that it won't let me download the articles for offline access. Every other app does this :\

Ahh...

Well, at the end of the day Google Reader is still my RSS feed reader of choice because it lacks the overhead and footprint of most of these apps and does the basics. Plus it is fast.

Feedly is more of a secondary 'visual' alternative in my usage. The way Flipboard is presented in only showing one news item per swipe and it usually being a graphic that takes up 80% of the screen is just too damned un-functionable to the extreme for my tastes.

Word. Although I've grown accustom to Currents. Offline reading for all my articles with pictures = AWESOME. It makes reading on the bus/subway much easier since I don't have to carry around a huge newspaper. That and I have 6 different feeds on their (half news, the other half sports and architecture).

GOOD STUFF.

Currents has definitely improved and I was really excited for it when it launched but is still too much of a fat pig in terms of resources. :p

Currents has definitely improved and I was really excited for it when it launched but is still too much of a fat pig in terms of resources. :p
I disabled that thing on my phone because even without any defined feeds it had a service polling periodically for new content. On my Nexus S, disabling it actually improved the battery life and overall phone performance noticeably.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
http://goo.gl/QCKvR

There ya go guys...all the $.25 apps.

Bought Tasks. Have been wanting a simple-yet-functional and nice-looking solution for syncing my Google tasks to my phone (why the GCalendar app doesn't do this is beyond me), and this seems to be exactly what I have been looking for.

Ahh...

Well, at the end of the day Google Reader is still my RSS feed reader of choice because it lacks the overhead and footprint of most of these apps and does the basics. Plus it is fast.

Yep. I've tried out all of the popular options, but I've always ended up uninstalling them and just using Reader. It's simple, fast, and lets me quickly and easily browse through my new items and read the ones that look interesting. The only thing I wish it had is the ability to pull in the whole articles to save me from having to load them in the web browser to read the rest of them.

womp

Bought Tasks. Have been wanting a simple-yet-functional and nice-looking solution for syncing my Google tasks to my phone (why the GCalendar app doesn't do this is beyond me), and this seems to be exactly what I have been looking for.

Yep. I've tried out all of the popular options, but I've always ended up uninstalling them and just using Reader. It's simple, fast, and lets me quickly and easily browse through my new items and read the ones that look interesting. The only thing I wish it had is the ability to pull in the whole articles to save me from having to load them in the web browser to read the rest of them.

For the rare article I want to do that for, I just send it over to Pocket.

Shepard

Does anyone know how many days the 25c apps will last? Looks like Where's my Perry will be one of them, crossing my fingers for FFIII.

tino

Banned
That's kind of tempting, but considering I do all my document editing in Drive/Docs nowadays, and my phone (GNex) has a built-in document viewer (not editor) for common document filetypes, I'm not really sure what good it would do me.

Its pretty funny to see you hesitate over a .25 purchase.

vdlow

My Nexus 7 is coming next week and I'm still not sure if I should buy Office Suite Pro or stay with Kingsoft Office, which is free and I already use on my phone. Opinions?

Shepard

My Nexus 7 is coming next week and I'm still not sure if I should buy Office Suite Pro or stay with Kingsoft Office, which is free and I already use on my phone. Opinions?

I have both and have Kingsoft installed. But you should buy it now, if you ever need it in the future, it'll be there. It's just 25c.

vdlow

I have both and have Kingsoft installed. But you should buy it now, if you ever need it in the future, it'll be there. It's just 25c.

Aaaand it's done. You are right, 25c is like nothing. I'll try it on my phone and then on Nexus 7. Thank you!

How is Tasks compared to Astrid? I currently use Astrid, and have a recurring (every 2 weeks chore) that stays hidden until the day of. I remember fiddling with Tasks Free and not being able to pull off that specific scenario (admittedly, I didn't spend very long looking). Still true? Other things that Tasks is better/worse at compared to Astrid?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How is Tasks compared to Astrid? I currently use Astrid, and have a recurring (every 2 weeks chore) that stays hidden until the day of. I remember fiddling with Tasks Free and not being able to pull off that specific scenario (admittedly, I didn't spend very long looking). Still true? Other things that Tasks is better/worse at compared to Astrid?

Well, the entire point of Tasks is to sync with your online Google Tasks; it doesn't really do anything beyond that (there are no offline task lists or anything like that). So, no, that feature isn't there, because it doesn't exist in Google's task system (which it probably should, but that's not really the point here).

I guess they could add recurring tasks on the app side and fake it on the account side, but that would break the perfect symmetry between the app and the online experience that they're going for. If they did that, how would you modify or delete the recurring task via the Google interface? It wouldn't be possible, since that functionality just doesn't exist there. There are only single tasks on the Google side, so there has to be only single tasks in the app too for everything to sync correctly both ways and remain consistent. How does Astrid solve this problem?

I personally really like the simple approach they have taken with Tasks. What I want in an app like this is something simple and straightforward that syncs 1:1 with Google Tasks, and that's what I get here. It brings the same feeling of consistency as Google's own apps like Gmail, Calendar and Reader, were everything you do on one end is reflected on the other. But yeah, if you need more advanced to-do functionality you might want to stick with Astrid.

f0lken

What is that "half-disk" thing called??

iE7jJl.png

Hoping a US GAFfer can help out here:

In the US, there is a "25 banned books for 99c each" promotion. However in the UK, it's "25 bestselling books for 99p each". Just out of interest, can anyone with access to the US play store list the titles featured in the banned books promotion?

Gaaraz

Kairosoft would be awesome, I love that they tend to support Android more than they do iOS even.

Going to be careful with their games though - they're so hit or miss with me, I cannot explain how much I loved playing Game Dev Story, yet every game I've played since then of theirs (Pocket Academy, Edo Town and one other) were just so bloody tedious. They focused almost entirely on building the right sort of buildings next to each other, which IMO makes for really awful gameplay.

The football (or 'soccer') game they've done, along with the F1 game, and Dungeon Village all look amazing. 25p please Kairosoft!

Gaaraz

I want apex!
As part of the sale? That would be awesome. I'm currently using the free version Nova but if I could pick up Apex for 25p I think I'd switch.

Still trying to be cautious about what I spend money on with Android, just in case I do hit a brick wall and need to switch back to iOS.

Futureman

It's amazing how apps are on sale for 25 cents and yet this thread is still kind of dead.

they are all games except a few. Sorry don't play games on my phone.

Already have Endomondo Pro from last year, already have AnyDo, and I don't want that Office app as I use Drive/Docs.

anyone know if the books and music will be different every day? or will only the apps get new selections?

8bit

Knows the Score
Hoping a US GAFfer can help out here:

In the US, there is a "25 banned books for 99c each" promotion. However in the UK, it's "25 bestselling books for 99p each". Just out of interest, can anyone with access to the US play store list the titles featured in the banned books promotion?

A post on fatwallet claims them to be:

I can't find an online link, but the books are listed on the Play Store on my mobile. Includes a lot of modern classics: Prince of Tides, Rosemary's Baby, Exodus, Sophie's Choice, Boy's Life, Candy, From Here to Eternity, Fear of Flying, Sex and the Single Girl, Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye, Essays in Humanism, A Sport and a Pastime, Confessions of Nat Turner, The Werewolf of Paris, Citizen Tom Paine, God's Little Acre, The Terrorist, Being and Nothingness, Always Running, The Bastard, Gentleman's Agreement, The Drowning of Stephan Jones, The Black Book, The Confessions of Nat Turner ... I think that's it.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1222258/

Gaaraz

Indeed tino, I'd pay good money for something like that :)

Rayman is OUT!

Everyone needs to get this, seriously. Such an amazing game, and good on Ubisoft for putting it on Android.

3phemeral

Looks like

SketchBook Mobile
World of Goo
Dungeon Village
Paper Camera
Mini Motor Racing

So far.... BUY BUY BUY

I still see the older ones on sale. Will this be a comprehensive thing? Or will those older ones default to normal price? If they just keeping adding new ones to an already discounted pool, I'd rather wait til Friday so I can pick and choose what they offer versus checking every day.

[edit] Just bought Dungeon Village and Mini Motor Racing. I'm sure my nephew will love these.

Top Bottom