• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Futureman

I still see the older ones on sale. Will this be a comprehensive thing? Or will those older ones default to normal price? If they just keeping adding new ones to an already discounted pool, I'd rather wait til Friday so I can pick and choose what they offer versus checking every day.

[edit] Just bought Dungeon Village and Mini Motor Racing. I'm sure my nephew will love these.

last year I believe the previous days sales stayed up for a portion of the new day but then went back up by that night.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticproject.scout

j2AdcIo6Lewqh.jpg
jr0HmAD96tIjd.jpg

Field Trip is your guide to the cool, hidden, and unique things in the world around you. Field Trip runs in the background on your phone. When you get close to something interesting, it pops up a card with details about the location. No click is required. If you have a headset or bluetooth connected, it can even read the info to you.
Field Trip can help you learn about everything from local history to the latest and best places to shop, eat, and have fun. You select the local feeds you like and the information pops up on your phone automatically, as you walk next to those places.

Field Trip is up! Can't wait to check this out when I'm downtown.

Cipherr

Got:

Office Suite Pro
World of Goo
Double Twist Alarm Clock
Ashpalt 7

And also grabbed Rayman Jungle Run today.

Edit: And now also grabbed field trip.

gutshot

Is World of Goo the same game as the original? I bought it on the Wii and beat it, so I don't see the point in buying it again, even for a quarter, unless it has new levels.

panda21

damn it field trip is US only. which seems to defeat the porpoise somewhat, since you can't use it on holiday unless you are travelling to the US

3phemeral

Can't seem to get field trip to detect my proper location. Still thinks I'm at home, even though every other GPS-capable app can detect I'm at work.

Rebooting seemed to fix it. Let's hope it'll detect my location as I move.

3phemeral

What are the advantages of the double twist alarm clock vs the stock clock app?

Honestly, after having it for a while, functionality wise, it's similar to other apps, just with a nice polish. It does have a nice sunset/sunrise function, but pails in comparison to the kind of alarm customizations you get from Alarm Clock Plus.

If you're using it with Google Now, it's not really integrated as well as other alarm apps. If you're setting an alarm, the default clock app and AC+ will accept your alarm requirements automatically. With Double Twist, there's an additional confirmation window after Google Now's countdown confirmation.

Since I'm using Google Now for pretty much all my alarm needs, I haven't used DTA at all. Sure, it's pretty, but I really don't use the full-screen clock feature at all. Plus, it's easier for me to just speak my alarm and set my phone down, rather than having to tap "set alarm" via Google Now just so that I can quickly get to and confirm on Double Twists' own confirmation screen.

[edit] woops, didn't mean to submit two posts.

sangreal

OfficeSuite Pro is still listed as 0.25, but when I get to the final checkout review it says $14.99? Not that I need it, I have a bunch of office apps already from Amazon like QuickOffice Pro

OgcjO.png

Shepard

OfficeSuite Pro is still listed as 0.25, but when I get to the final checkout review it says $14.99? Not that I need it, I have a bunch of office apps already from Amazon like QuickOffice Pro

OgcjO.png

So it's back to $14.99, Google Play takes more time to update than checkout.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This post has all the deals for this promotion so far.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...s-and-music-25-billion-downloads-promo-sales/

Movies, Books, Magazine, Apps, Music

Not all $0.25, but some ok deals on digital mags. Makes me wish I had an N7

Makes me wish anything beyond apps was available for purchase on Google Play in Sweden. ANYTHING! But no.

Rayman is 2.99 for me. You guys got it for .25?

No, Rayman was just released, it's not part of the sale.

voodooray

Good grief. For the love of God, don't update to the latest YouTube app. They got rid of the info/related/comments tabs, forcing you to now scroll the video offscreen to still read them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Good grief. For the love of God, don't update to the latest YouTube app. They got rid of the info/related/comments tabs, forcing you to now scroll the video offscreen to still read them.

Wow, you scared me a bit there (updated the app earlier today, but hadn't used it since then), but thankfully you're wrong. Yes, the tabs are gone (which does seem like a pretty weird decision), and you do have to scroll past the related videos to get to the comments (actually, you can collapse each section by tapping the small arrows next to them, so you don't have to scroll very much), but the video does not get scrolled off-screen:

If it does for you, that's weird. What Android version are you on? 4.1.1 here.

yogloo

Dungeon Village is a total buy if you haven't already got it.

I bought double twist at full price and I think it's worth it.

voodooray

Wow, you scared me a bit there (updated the app earlier today, but hadn't used it since then), but thankfully you're wrong. Yes, the tabs are gone (which does seem like a pretty weird decision), and you do have to scroll past the related videos to get to the comments (actually, you can collapse each section by tapping the small arrows next to them, so you don't have to scroll very much), but the video does not get scrolled off-screen:

They updated the app shortly after I posted, so sounds like you got the changed version, as it now does the same for me. It was awful before then.

I'm still unsure if ditching the tabs is a good thing though. I already got used to swiping horizontally to switch through the different sections, and having the ability to remember the position of the last thing you saw.

Shepard

Really? Having to give a tiny scroll down is what's keeping you from updating your app?

buhdeh

If anyone's looking for a good reading app for epub/mobi, fabrik is really good and it's free too. The developer has a thread on xda and updates the app almost daily right now.

If anyone's looking for a good reading app for epub/mobi, fabrik is really good and it's free too. The developer has a thread on xda and updates the app almost daily right now.

Does it support pdf files?

Does it do that page turn effect that google reader does?

AndyD

aka andydumi
This app is so well designed it's not even funny.

Indeed. There are easily 100 things here in Nashville already. I just wish I could finetune the frequency more. Like once a day in the home area. Right now, even on "occasional" it gives me a new one every time I unlock the phone.

Goldrush

A bit off topic, but any words if Amazon will pricematch the books? They did do it in the previous Google sale, but no luck so far.

sangreal

I tried out Field Trip and it just shows me old postcards of random uninteresting things in my town like the unimportant intersection a block away. There isn't anything special about it other than someone put it on a postcard 50 years ago

also, I can't believe Google is still releasing apps without real tablet support

Threi

notag

On the (very) bright side, the app is now the exact same visually across all android versions, from 2.1 to 4.1.

Good job on that Google, hope the gmail app gets updated as well.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I tried out Field Trip and it just shows me old postcards of random uninteresting things in my town like the unimportant intersection a block away. There isn't anything special about it other than someone put it on a postcard 50 years ago

This is obviously relative. I've had a few pop up since I installed it and I have found all of them interesting.

Cipherr

Man the new Youtube app is nice. I like it. The way it scrolls now.

If you're using it with Google Now, it's not really integrated as well as other alarm apps. If you're setting an alarm, the default clock app and AC+ will accept your alarm requirements automatically. With Double Twist, there's an additional confirmation window after Google Now's countdown confirmation.

Since I'm using Google Now for pretty much all my alarm needs, I haven't used DTA at all. Sure, it's pretty, but I really don't use the full-screen clock feature at all. Plus, it's easier for me to just speak my alarm and set my phone down, rather than having to tap "set alarm" via Google Now just so that I can quickly get to and confirm on Double Twists' own confirmation screen.

Im also setting all alarms and reminders via Google now so that rules the new clock app I just bought out, it was only a quarter tho so meh.. I dont want additional inputs, just saying it and being done with it is just to convenient. Its like the only thing I like about voice controls. Rest of it is gimmicky as hell to me.

3phemeral

Im also setting all alarms and reminders via Google now so that rules the new clock app I just bought out, it was only a quarter tho so meh.. I dont want additional inputs, just saying it and being done with it is just to convenient. Its like the only thing I like about voice controls. Rest of it is gimmicky as hell to me.

I use Google Now for searches, though. Totally easier than typing whatever it is. It usually gets what I'm saying correctly. The only time I have trouble getting it to recognize my query is when I'm using Bluetooth. I lost headphone functionality a while ago and have to resort to using SoundAbout to change the audio switch.

It's irritating. It somehow happened when I was using my phone to test the audio for a projector and ever since it doesn't properly output speakerphone or recognize headphones unless I use that app.

Anyway, today's full list of 25 cent apps:

Amazing Alex
TuneIn Radio Pro
Temple Run: Brave
HD Widgets
PicSay Pro - Photo Editor
Monsters Ate My Condo
Flick Golf!
PDF Annotate Form
Kids ABC Letters
Rebuild
ZombieSmash
mSecure - Password Manager
MASS EFFECT™ INFILTRATOR
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5sc2d2Z2FtZXMuc2xpZGVhbmRmbHlmdWxsIl0.

Amazing Alex defaults to installed for me, even though I haven't purchased it.

gutshot

How do you set an alarm using Google Now? I tried it but it just did a search for alarm or something.

vdlow

I was going to buy ME Infiltrator to play on my Nexus 7 that arrives next week, but it doesn't run on the only device that I have now (Galaxy S), so, I can't buy it. That's not nice, Google.

Top Bottom