• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

womp

I was going to buy ME Infiltrator to play on my Nexus 7 that arrives next week, but it doesn't run on the only device that I have now (Galaxy S), so, I can't buy it. That's not nice, Google.

If it makes you feel any better, it runs like crap on the Nexus 7 anyway. Chalk it up to EA not updating their apps properly.

Anyone using HD widgets? I have Beautiful Widgets, wondering if its worth it. But for 25 cents, I might as well, right?

Definitely worth it. The options alone are awesome, especially if you have a tablet device or a phone with a larger end screen. No brainer.

buhdeh

I duno I installed HD Widgets and didn't really find it that much better than BW. Then again, I only use the forecast widget and hate duplicate clocks so maybe it's not really for me.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I got HD widgets in the 10 cent sale (I think), didn't really use it, and then had to uninstall it because it showed up pretty frequently in my battery use charts despite not using it at all.

BW is good enough for me.

sangreal

This is obviously relative. I've had a few pop up since I installed it and I have found all of them interesting.

I'm not saying the postcard is uninteresting, I mean the corner is uninteresting. It's just a corner where a house used to be. Seeing ancient pictures of my town is cool and all, but I'm not sure what the point of it is in an app that is meant to show you "the cool, hidden, and unique things in the world around you." That's not something that is "in the world around me." If you follow field trip there you would just see a corner with some grass on it. Pretty much every result in the app is like that for me, except for some restaurants -- which also aren't cool or hidden. They just happen to be listed on Google's Zagats. Smash burger is tasty, sure, but its just a chain restaurant. Nothing interesting about it.

Anyways, I'm hoping to get some more use out of it when I travel to Munich this week

womp

BW also has an option for an HD clock? I'll check it out regardless though, thanks.

I have had BW for years as well...::shrugs:: I don't know, I just prefer HD Widgets these days. Although it is funny because I am not really a widget guy to begin with.

I like tweaking you can do with the power widgets especially.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
TuneIn Radio Pro is great. Buy it.

All the great non game apps, I already own.

Threi

notag
used both, HD isn't really that much better, you are fine with either one (although i find clocks on android homescreens kinda tacky anyways, i use em for the weather widgets)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Its just OK> I bought it when it was 10 cents before and I never used it. Beautiful is so much more customizable that HD never seemed like a better idea.

womp

Its just OK> I bought it when it was 10 cents before and I never used it. Beautiful is so much more customizable that HD never seemed like a better idea.

Maybe Beautiful has gotten better since I last installed it...

I do like the customizable power control widget bar though in HD.

Mr_Zombie

Is there a way to gift someone an app? I'm sure my dad would love the TuneIn Radio, but he won't give his credit card to Google Wallet :/

I was going to buy ME Infiltrator to play on my Nexus 7 that arrives next week, but it doesn't run on the only device that I have now (Galaxy S), so, I can't buy it. That's not nice, Google.

Install Bluestacks software and sign-in from there. The web store will show a Samsung GT-I9100 as one of your installed devices. Buy from computer and whenever you have your Nexus 7, the app will be available to download.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do you set an alarm using Google Now? I tried it but it just did a search for alarm or something.

That stuff only works in US English. System language, voice search and text-to-speech all have to be set to English (US) for voice actions and all the other "intelligent" voice stuff (asking questions and getting spoken answers and info cards) to work, otherwise the phone will just perform a regular Google search for what you say.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They're different?

Here in Sweden they're exactly the same, from what I can tell:

Amazing Alex
HD Widgets
Flick Golf
Rebuild
Mass Effect Infiltrator
TuneIn
PicSay Pro
ezPDF Reader
ZombieSmash
Dragon, Fly!
Temple Run: Brave
Monsters Ate My Condo
Kids ABC Letters
mSecure Password Manager

Finally moved up to the world of smart phones... and now I realize I can never hear or feel the thing vibrate. Are there any apps to increase vibration intensity or maybe make it last a little longer?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a way to gift someone an app? I'm sure my dad would love the TuneIn Radio, but he won't give his credit card to Google Wallet :/

That's the point of these sales. To get people to put in their CC.

Donos

Isn't it pretty easy to put up virtual cc nowadays? There are some free services. Use one just for google and you can leave the tinfoilhat.

It's only on sale for a few more hours at the 0.25 price, but everyone should DEFINITELY BUY REBUILD.

It's like Sim City meets Dawn of the Dead, and stupid fun. Well worth the sale price!

jokkir

It's only on sale for a few more hours at the 0.25 price, but everyone should DEFINITELY BUY REBUILD.

It's like Sim City meets Dawn of the Dead, and stupid fun. Well worth the sale price!

I got it and looks kinda ugly on my Nexus S :( I'll keep playing though. Seems alright so far.

Also, anythig different between Amazing Alex Free than the paid one other than ads?

Nicktendo86

OK so I've noticed on my Facebook widget I now get an iOS style badge to say I have a notification buy not on the App, anyone else seen this?

X-Plane 9 (Flight Sim) is currently FREE (previously $2.99). Not sure if this is a permanent drop or not, so if you want it, grab it now!

It's most likely permanent, since apparently, X-Plane's devs were hit by a patent troll regarding their licensing process.
(Plus it looks like it has IAP, so they're probably relying on that now)

Oh, they're putting up new apps?
It looks like they've put up new books as well for the sale, as I could swear that there was a Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy up for 99p yesterday.

I picked up TuneIn Radio and Swiftkey, and don't really have an interest in the rest of the stuff.

How is ezPDF Reader PDF Annotate Form though?

Shepard

Today's apps:
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Pool Break Pro
Order & Chaos Online
Cogs
Camera ZOOM FX
Sky Safari
Cut the Rope
Where's My Perry?
Endomondo Sports Tracker Pro
RealCalc Plus