• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I didn't know where to put this, but I thought this was really cute:

I just traveled to Germany, and once I entered the country, Google Now added a new card: Instant translation between English and German. :)

copped Nova Launcher Prime and Smart Tools.

I'm an Apex user, but the Nova dev also makes TeslaLED, an app i used often before i switched to CM, which has Flashlight built in...

would have grabbed SketchBook Pro if it let me...

Zeppu

I just traveled to Germany, and once I entered the country, Google Now added a new card: Instant translation between English and German. :)

If you had travelled across timezones it would've also shown you a card with "Time at home" and if the country was out of the Eurozone you would've gotten a card with instant currency conversion.

Google Now is pretty nifty.

I'm kind of want them to open it up as a sort of 'secondary/pre-emptive notification' system, but I think that goes against the point of it. Still having a "TV Show airs tonight" or "Artist's album is out today" would be cool as fuck. However the point of Google Now is that it shows you shit which you don't set up yourself, but rather based on your patterns, so having to download apps to integrate with it kind of beats the purpose.

Angst

You should also get a converter for EUR - your countries currency.

Are there any good music production apps for Android? I know FL Studio is coming, but I'm wondering if there is something out currently on the Play Store.

I just bought a Nexus 7 and it's OTW, but I wanna take advantage of the sale and buy Nova Launcher Prime.

The problem? My crappy phone doesn't support it and I can't buy apps for an incompatible device or one that I don't actually have yet.

anyone know a workaround for this?

AndyD

aka andydumi

I like that the new Field Trip app also has current events. I drove past a live music venue on my way home Friday and it popped up with an upcoming concert on Saturday. And a link to check out the page and buy tickets.

It was very cool in an odd unexpected kind of way.

Insaniac

Hey guys, I am getting used to my new android, but I was wondering if there was an app to change which apps I can quick access via the lock screen.

Salsa

so woven is pretty good

certainly works as advertised, but I think i'd prefer if it pulled from the source each time you wanted to browse through online photos instead of uploading them into a woven account

edit: load times can vary, that's for sure

AppSales is a fantastic app, but why no option to exclude expired deals?

I actually prefer that, because I can browse back and see if an app has ever been on sale before. I find that if an app has been on sale before, it's worth holding off on a full-price purchase because it's likely it'll drop again at some point.

Currently waiting for a price-drop on Root Call Blocker

Gaaraz

Hm, yes I can see the benefit to that, but I can see far more benefit to hiding expired deals personally.

I just don't understand why they clearly went through a lot of trouble to create lots of useful filters, but then omit what is (arguably) for many people the most useful filter!

(would be nice to be able to price track certain apps, ie notify of a price drop ala AppShopper - don't want a lot do I?)

So about that carbon android...

Worst communicated app I can remember. The dev might release the most professional, slick looking app ever released on Android, but he is embarrassingly amateur at communicating to his audience. I get that it'll be free, but nobody will forget this debacle in a hurry.

Lol @ his last tweet. "100% ready now"

Apparently he's said on Instagram that 'launch logistics are painfully slow'. All he needed was a YouTube video and some stills and then he could have put it on the Play Store. I get that he'll probably code a website too, but still. "matter of a few days now" was weeks ago. This is the third time he's delayed the release and every time there is a late excuse for doing so, which if he'd just been honest about upfront would stop him getting trolled and being abused. I still think he's stalling for time, hoping that paid apps will come to Dubai. The first delay was because he thought paid apps were coming. The second delay was after he made a major feature changes a week before the promised release (who does this and thinks their project will release on schedule?). This third delay now is a vague "logistics" sideshow. I'm actually getting to the point where I believe the guy deserves the abuse he is getting, because he needs to learn hard lessons in how to manage social media, which is ironic when he is developing a social media app. Fail.

marrec

Banned
Worst communicated app I can remember. The dev might release the most professional, slick looking app ever released on Android, but he is embarrassingly amateur at communicating to his audience. I get that it'll be free, but nobody will forget this debacle in a hurry.

Did someone already make this post... I'm getting serious deja-vu reading this post.

Accoun

Probably been asked quite a few times already, but what's a good free music player? Preferably not ad-based (are there still things like that? :p).

Also, I'm using Google Reader app for RSS. It's pretty OK, but is there a way to have Gmail-like notifications? Or is there some other, free reader that has them (again, preferably without ads)?

BTW: Am I the only one that freaks out because of all this permissions needed? Even in-app ads require not only permissions for internet, but for phone status and ID etc. Leave alone some other apps. Maybe I'm just paranoid (hell, if I really was, I'd be too afraid to use a smartphone because probably Google monitors everything it can without me knowing or something), but it just annoys me.
Ignorance sometimes is bliss, but I can't stop caring about it... :-/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The GMD Gestures app has answered my prayers, after I got used to the four finger gestures on an iPad. Since I have my nav bar hidden, three fingers swiped down is a great back motion, too. You need to be rooted for this, of course...

AndyD

aka andydumi
Probably been asked quite a few times already, but what's a good free music player? Preferably not ad-based (are there still things like that? :p).

I use Google's Play Music and it works wonders. It helps I have all my music with them, but it also reads local files.

Top Bottom