• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Cudder

So when adding sources to my Flipboard how do I not add a sites twitter? I searched for The Verge but the only thing came up was their twitter, instead of having an actual formatted source for their news, all I see is their tweets.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So I was just in the middle of redesigning the entire OP, but then I discovered this Playboard app that renders it almost moot.

What to do.

Zapages

What is the best metro theme for 7 inch android tablets. This is for my grandparents and for skype. I think the large icons will be helpful.

Thanks, in advance. :)

Divvy

Actually, I have an idea, I'll just make a channel on Playboard concurrently with this thread so people can check stuff on there just as easily.

Divvy

That looks great for phones... But I was wondering what would you recommend for 7 inch tablets without the phone functionality. We are going to use Skype for phone, can we program the buttons in big launcher to do what we want to do?

You can customize the buttons in big launcher,

DKlO9.png

I'm not sure how it'd look on a 7 inch tablet. You can try out the trial if you want to test it out.

Aside from that, there's Launcher 7 which is basically WP7 theme on android. I have no idea how that would look on a 7 inch tablet though.

Threi

notag
Well Nexus 7 isn't even compatible off the play store so i assume it's not very optimized.

I suggest using Desktop VisualizeR with some big pictures on the stock launcher, as well as setting font size to max.

There's also Chameleon launcher, but $10 is WAY too much for it IMO, especially since you can't even use regular widgets yet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This might be a funny request, but what apps have the best, and most useful home screen widgets associated with them? Like, for instance I tried the NYtimes widget but would love to see if other apps have ones with nicer functionality or aesthetic...

Tess3ract

Banned
Is there an alternative to YouTube? I load up something but as soon as the screen locks or I lock it, I lose all my video progress. This is unacceptable.

tino

Banned
This might be a funny request, but what apps have the best, and most useful home screen widgets associated with them? Like, for instance I tried the NYtimes widget but would love to see if other apps have ones with nicer functionality or aesthetic...

You can use folder organizers to assign shortcut to a customized icon. Not sure if thats what you want.

So in the My Android Apps section

https://play.google.com/apps

Is there any way to see all apps in the 'Other apps in my library' section? Just did a factory reset and I find it much easier to just install all the apps via PC (backup on phone wasn't working, custom rom etc.), but after 20 pages it just stops and I'd like to just check if there's something missing.

Also those 20 pages are 90% full with apps that I don't want to install anymore which reminds me why doesn't Google give us the option to permanently remove apps, I have so much crap in that list that I don't even know why I ever downloaded it...

So in the My Android Apps section

https://play.google.com/apps

Is there any way to see all apps in the 'Other apps in my library' section? Just did a factory reset and I find it much easier to just install all the apps via PC (backup on phone wasn't working, custom rom etc.), but after 20 pages it just stops and I'd like to just check if there's something missing.

Also those 20 pages are 90% full with apps that I don't want to install anymore which reminds me why doesn't Google give us the option to permanently remove apps, I have so much crap in that list that I don't even know why I ever downloaded it...
well, it's too late now, but for future reference, there's an app called AppBak that will backup a list of the names and play store links to apps installed on your phone, making it very easy to download them all again.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Another week, another Carbon disappointment.

tino

Banned
why do you guys keep talking a 3rd party twitter app? Twitter basically killed the 3rd party apps. There is no incentive to work on new twitter apps.

Divvy

I'm waiting for my channels to get approved, but after that, it's going to be awesome. Playboard is pretty sweet.

JonnyBrad

why do you guys keep talking a 3rd party twitter app? Twitter basically killed the 3rd party apps. There is no incentive to work on new twitter apps.

Tablet specific would be one reason.

The main reason I stick with the official app is push notifications. All the 3rd party ones only offer pull.

Cr0wn0

Tweetlanes is great, It's not feature complete yet but does what I need it too.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
what did they do? Plume still works fine for me

They set a user cap for 3rd party clients that use their API.

Maximum caps for users

The caps will be set based on the current number of users that these clients have on a multiplicative scale. So, if a client has x users as of today and that number is over 100,ooo, it can have 200% of x users maximum. This means that any client like Tweetbot or Twitterrific can only ever have a certain amount of users, period.

The maximum limit is 100,000 users, unless special permission is given by Twitter. If a client has more than 100k users currently, it can only ever grow to 200% of that. If users of the apps de-authorize their tokens for those apps, then they’re added back to that pool.

That means that no third-party client can ever have more than 100k users, unless given special permission by Twitter or it already has over 100k right now, in which case it can have double the amount it has today.

This move puts a life span on most for-pay clients, as they’ll reach a point where there is no longer any reason for them to continue offering these apps for sale. Let’s call it Max Reach. If you’re a user of a favorite third-party client already, you’re in, but those who wish to get in on one in the future will need to get cracking if they want to get in under the cap.

As far as whether developers of these clients will find it worth their while to continue supporting and updating the apps, knowing that they have a maximum growth limit, who knows.

Basically, Twitter just told all developers exactly how much money they can ever make selling a for-pay client. The future of Twitter is its official apps.

Cipherr

They set a user cap for 3rd party clients that use their API.

I still cannot understand why I didn't see much blowback over such harsh bullshit reaming of the third party developers that wrote apps for their service. That is such a hardcore 'FU' to the twitter app developers.

That means that no third-party client can ever have more than 100k users, unless given special permission by Twitter

And by 'permission' Im guessing they really mean, give us some of your profits.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I barely use Twitter these days (App.net now) but the Carbon saga is rather interesting.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Tap the little expand arrow just below the video on the right side.

hVt0Dl.png
They sort of messed up Youtube, it used to have that great segmented bar that switched between comments and related vids, now you have to scroll your ass down for em.

well, it's too late now, but for future reference, there's an app called AppBak that will backup a list of the names and play store links to apps installed on your phone, making it very easy to download them all again.

Yeah I also use Titanium Backup occasionaly, but stopped using it since google restores all my apps after I wipe and reset, I just was naive enough to think that all custom roms have this feature enabled...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah I also use Titanium Backup occasionaly, but stopped using it since google restores all my apps after I wipe and reset, I just was naive enough to think that all custom roms have this feature enabled...

Google doesn't restore app data does it? Titanium Backup Pro is worth its weight in gold for me.

3phemeral

The iKnowU Keyboard - predicts word chunks and phrases, not just words... could be interesting...

also, Tapatalk HD for tablets in open beta!!!

It's interesting. Hasn't really predicted much correctly for me yet. Annoying that it highlights the next "most likely" character, but when it's wrong, it makes it more difficult to navigate. Also, there seems to be a bug where the very last word I entered on the previous text message will appear as the very first word on my next text message whenever I type in any letter.

There was one instance where it's predicted a 3-word phrase correctly, but for the most part it's being giving me bunk suggestions. I'll try it for the rest of thr week to see if it gets better, but it doesn't even correct misspellings as far as I can tell, nor automatically capitalize "I."

Tess3ract

Banned
Is there a gaf app? The mobile site sucks because there's no easy way to jump back to the control panel for subscribed threads. I don't check the thread table often.

tino

Banned
Is there a gaf app? The mobile site sucks because there's no easy way to jump back to the control panel for subscribed threads. I don't check the thread table often.

You can just add subscribed threads page to your bookmark. I don't see how a gaf app can make that operation faster. Plus, multiple threads at the same time.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Don't you just hit the 4-square thing in the top right to jump to subscribed threads (where you can delete subscriptions etc)? Sorry if I misunderstood what you meant.

BurningNad

Don't you just hit the 4-square thing in the top right to jump to subscribed threads (where you can delete subscriptions etc)? Sorry if I misunderstood what you meant.
Yea, it's literally two taps. Can't get much easier than that without having a dedicated Subscription button always on screen. No need for an app.

What do you guys consider to be the best weather app? Free or paid.

No joke, the best for me in terms of actual, real 'this is faster than just stepping outside' usefulness—just bookmarking the google search for 'weather' and putting the bookmark on my homepage has been best.

Previously I used Beautiful Widgets, Weather Underground, or the stock News & Weather app. For me, the bookmark is quicker and more accurate.

Top Bottom