• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I downloaded plume but it didn't seem to let me click on links withen tweets. I'll try it again. I just don't think twitter can look good on a 10 inch tab. 140 characters is too short haha

Schlep

I downloaded plume but it didn't seem to let me click on links withen tweets. I'll try it again. I just don't think twitter can look good on a 10 inch tab. 140 characters is too short haha
Long press on the tweet to go to the link. Also you can turn on Tweetmarker so it syncs across devices if you use a program on your phone that supports it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
for twitter i like plume. echofon for android was just released today as well so you might want to check that out.

Funny I just downloaded both of these last night to try out! LOL

Also the stock twitter app just got updated with new enhancements as did the stock facebook app.

Salsa

twicca for twitter and doggcatcher for podcasts

also im giving imo a go. Should I just uninstall fb messenger/skype/gtalk etc? seems much more convenient, but idk if its worth it

freshair

Any app that gives you lock screen notifications like iOS?

Widget Locker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker&hl=en) as a lock screen replacement and Executive Assistant (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist&hl=en) for notifications.

Though it seems now that E.A has their own lockscreen replacement that can display summaries. Don't know how functional it is, but you can give that a shot before shelling out for WL.

The advantage with WL though is that you can have a really customized lockscreen + the notifications you want.

WL Themes: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=968613

54189d1344305058-show-off-your-rezound-screenshots-here-uploadfromtaptalk1344305058251.jpg

Though this guy says that E.A. http://lookatthemonkeys.wordpress.com/ has some trouble with the new JB lockscreen, but perhaps in conjunction with WL it'll work fine? Not sure, but it looks like your best shot at the moment.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's the difference between opera mobile and opera mini?

With Opera Mini pages are compressed and rendered server-side before being delivered to you. Your phone is really just displaying the result. Good if you're short on data/bandwidth, but the quality will suffer. Opera Mobile, on the other hand, is a full browser just like any other. Your phone downloads all the data, and renders it locally.

Unless you're very short on data you should go for Mobile.

So why is twitter blocking all these apps and putting limitations on them? Its not like they charge money for their own app. It just seems idiotic to me.

Donos

Uber Music is crashing alot for the last two weeks for me. Maybe it's finally time to change to Power Amp. Any new Music App contender worth looking at?

Shepard

Why does Chrome have to load the bookmark page?? it's so annoying.
That's really my main complaint with Chrome, it's too slow to browse through the bookmarks.
Uber Music is crashing alot for the last two weeks for me. Maybe it's finally time to change to Power Amp. Any new Music App contender worth looking at?

Do as I did: ubermusic -> Poweramp. Ubermusic was abandoned by its developer, poweramp has so many features you'll be wondering why you gave Um a chance.

3phemeral

is this no good then?

I would say for me it isn't. It has like, 11 widgets total. You initially were blocked from using an apps built-in widget, but because people were complaining about the lack of native Chameleon widgets, they eventually allowed you to access those too.

Problem with that is that Chameleon was sold with the idea that it was a "beautiful launcher" alternative with configurable time/location profiles. You can't really make a dynamic multi-profile experience with just 11 widgets (Calendar, Facebook, GMail, Google+, Instagram, RSS reader, non-configurable power widget, twitter, weather, youtube, "Make a widget" (LOL)). Well, at least if you want the visual experience to be cohesive.

All the original Chameleon widgets had a certain design aesthetic, but because you have to go outside of Chameleon's built-in widgets to make any realistically dynamic profile system, you break that aesthetic because they're just fitted within Chameleon's panels:

BivQUl.jpg

You can see the Apollo Music widget on the top left floating in the panel space; it's the same thing you'll see for other widgets and the negative space around it.

Lastly, every time I've updated, I've had to reassociate my account with every widget I've placed on the screen, making it laborious. If you use multiple Gmail accounts, you have to log off your default account, log in, and then grant access. But make sure you do a sweep of setting up all your widgets with your primary account, then you can do a second sweep and set up widgets for your second account.

I personally find my time better spent creating a HUB system:

p20110912230552.png

dosh

That's really my main complaint with Chrome, it's too slow to browse through the bookmarks.
Il also don't like the fact that I can't manage them more efficiently, with folders for instance. Well maybe it's possible, and I just don't know how.

Do as I did: ubermusic -> Poweramp. Ubermusic was abandoned by its developer, poweramp has so many features you'll be wondering why you gave Um a chance.

But Uber Music is so nice looking :(

in other news...

don't update FoxFi if you want to keep using it hassle free for free

version 1.95 adds a time limit and you have to make an in-app purchase to unlock the previous functionality

how much?
$6.97

seriously, i'm all for paying for software, but this is a straight bait & switch move.

not that i ever used FoxFi anyway lol...

3phemeral

Was mentioned in another thread, but a slew of Appls apps have been released on the Play Store:

Tried to get Garage Band to work but no luck. I wonder how they tested these Apps.

Are these actually Apple apps by Apple, though? I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't have jumped the gun...

[edit] Got a refund. Thankfully they din't require any special permissions, but still.

I would say for me it isn't. It has like, 11 widgets total. You initially were blocked from using an apps built-in widget, but because people were complaining about the lack of native Chameleon widgets, they eventually allowed you to access those too.

Problem with that is that Chameleon was sold with the idea that it was a "beautiful launcher" alternative with configurable time/location profiles. You can't really make a dynamic multi-profile experience with just 11 widgets (Calendar, Facebook, GMail, Google+, Instagram, RSS reader, non-configurable power widget, twitter, weather, youtube, "Make a widget" (LOL)). Well, at least if you want the visual experience to be cohesive.

All the original Chameleon widgets had a certain design aesthetic, but because you have to go outside of Chameleon's built-in widgets to make any realistically dynamic profile system, you break that aesthetic because they're just fitted within Chameleon's panels:

BivQUl.jpg

You can see the Apollo Music widget on the top left floating in the panel space; it's the same thing you'll see for other widgets and the negative space around it.

Lastly, every time I've updated, I've had to reassociate my account with every widget I've placed on the screen, making it laborious. If you use multiple Gmail accounts, you have to log off your default account, log in, and then grant access. But make sure you do a sweep of setting up all your widgets with your primary account, then you can do a second sweep and set up widgets for your second account.

I personally find my time better spent creating a HUB system:

p20110912230552.png

thanks for the write up dude.

3phemeral

Get your refund asap; This isn't the iOS app store.

Yeah. I did.
KuGsj.gif

Got super excited and didn't seem like it'd hurt to try it out. In my desperation and excitement to find a music program, I bulldozed through all obvious warning signs and clicked the purchase link. How embarrassing!

[edit 1] The apps just went from compatible for all of my devices to none. :)

[edit 2] The apps have now been pulled.

thanks for the write up dude.

No prob!

jokkir

Google doesn't want you to use YouTube as a music player. Though, there's a YouTube mod that lets you turn off the screen while the video still plays. I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on it

Top Bottom