• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Any good photo sharing apps that aren't named Instagram? I was about to download it when I noticed it asked for permission to look through my phone's contacts.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
i asked in the other thread but no response so maybe i can get my answer here. so what launcher is everyone using and is juicedefender ultimate worth it? any GAF reviews?

freshair

i asked in the other thread but no response so maybe i can get my answer here. so what launcher is everyone using and is juicedefender ultimate worth it? any GAF reviews?

Nova Prime. Honestly, between NP and Apex, they're virtually identical but nova came bundled with the custom rom I was using, so I just used that.

No opinion on juice defender.

tino

Banned
UberMusic is redundant now that there is Zplayer....

Can't use any other music app now that I have Zplayer, nicest looking one available.

I purchased it just to sample its features. But the app is good enough that I have decided to keep it.

I hope I don't make a second mistake on abandoned musc app.

Any good photo sharing apps that aren't named Instagram? I was about to download it when I noticed it asked for permission to look through my phone's contacts.

Finding your friends on Instagram:

If you choose, you can use our "Find friends" feature to locate other people with Instagram accounts either through (i) your contacts list, (ii) third-party social media sites or (iii) through a search of names and usernames on Instagram.

If you choose to find your friends through (i) your device's contacts list, then Instagram will access your contacts list to determine whether or not someone associated with your contact is using Instagram.
http://instagram.com/legal/privacy/

midonnay

Is there a Japanese Dictionary app for Android that is as comprehensive as this iOS one?

That's the major app keeping me on iOS at the moment.

hard to tell because I don't use my ipad for japanese but if it uses Jim Breen's dictionary + Tatoeba project example sentences, Aedict probably would be similar

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sk.baka.aedict&hl=en

There is also JED

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.umibouzu.jed&hl=en

To be honest, I mainly used droidwing and epwing dictionaries (electronic version of paper dictionaries)

Cipherr

That's really my main complaint with Chrome, it's too slow to browse through the bookmarks.

Do as I did: ubermusic -> Poweramp. Ubermusic was abandoned by its developer, poweramp has so many features you'll be wondering why you gave Um a chance.

Does poweramp integrate with Google Music? I stream 90% of my music from the GMusic.

Donos

Got zplayer but damn is it not possibly to access the app through the widget? That's lame. I just want to double/single tap the widget and get directly to the app like i can with ubermusic and power amp.
Nervermind, i have to tap the coverart to get to the app. My bad.

Swag

Do as I did: ubermusic -> Poweramp. Ubermusic was abandoned by its developer, poweramp has so many features you'll be wondering why you gave Um a chance.
I wish Poweramp had a UI that could compare to Zplayer or UM, and at the same time I wish UM and Zplayer played ALAC files.

Should probably just convert them, so lazy tho

I used Juice Defender for a while, but no more. Honestly just using a custom ROM helped battery life far more, all Juice Defender seemed to do for me was kind of make the phone irritating to use. So even though I'm sure lots of people love it, I don't recommend it.

Shepard

Does poweramp integrate with Google Music? I stream 90% of my music from the GMusic.
Unfortunately not :\
I wish Poweramp had a UI that could compare to Zplayer or UM, and at the same time I wish UM and Zplayer played ALAC files.

Should probably just convert them, so lazy tho
Yeah, but once I play the song, I spend 10secs seeing the player UI, and then all I use is the widget. There's an app called ICS Widget for PA, the 2x2 option is really beautiful.

Shepard

Damn, I can't live without that. Has Google opened the GMusic online stuff to developers? I mean, can Apps support it?

From Google, not yet, but there's an unnoficial API for Google Music, don't know if it's used in any app (I've tested Poweramp, Apollo, Ubermusic, Realplayer and some others, never found the option). Google should release an official api and let other developers take a shot.

vdlow

I would try Falcon but I couldn't find an option to update all the time, not only after 5 minutes. That will keep me away from this app.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn, I can't live without that. Has Google opened the GMusic online stuff to developers? I mean, can Apps support it?

Main reason why I haven't bothered checking out music apps. I run all my music shit through GMusic unless it's Spotify Radio so it's just sort of not worth it as of yet to try anything else.

tino

Banned
Yep. I just need something to browse gaf when I'm on the go because gif-gaf can be overwhelming for my measley 4 gig cap

Dolphine Mini doesn't have bandwidth saving feature though. Only Opera Mini and a few Chinese browsers have (UC, Miren, Boat etc)

this_guy

Just found a new favorite keyboard - Touchpal keyboard. Been using Swift keyboard for the last year, but this seems to work even better. There's also a swype feature but I don't use it so I don't know how it compares to the actual Swype keyboard.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
TWITTERGEDDON CONTINUES!!! BOID IS OVAAAA!!!!
Smart guys. I'd bail, too. Or make an ADN app.

New Twitter client - Falcon Pro

The beta is available to sideload and will be available from the Play Store once 'finished' for a few pence.

Initial impressions are great. And it has TABLET SUPPORT.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2002259
Thanks!! I'm a Plume fan but this looks great.

I don't know why anyone would continue to develop twitter clients what with that 100000 limit ceiling
Yeah, me either. Everyone should transition to app.net.

Threi

notag
It's one big widget. HD widgets has a bunch of different combinations of the clock, weather, and toggle widgets. That one is the Clock + Toggles. You can change which toggles show up as well.

Top Bottom