• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Threi

notag
Is that an N7? I'm using it on my N4 and the toggles don't stay persistent. I have to drag down on the clock to "reveal" more of the widgets (and thus the toggles). There doesn't seem a way to make the widgets smaller to accommodate everything.
Quoting again, i found a solution.

In the main HD widgets app, go to settings > widget sizes. From there tick "tablet lockscreen" and the additional lockscreen widgets should pop up after a restart.

freshair

Quoting again, i found a solution.

In the main HD widgets app, go to settings > widget sizes. From there tick "tablet lockscreen" and the additional lockscreen widgets should pop up after a restart.

Just tried it and the only problem now with that is that of the 7 options they have for tablet widgets, the clock + switches combo isn't one of them (they have it separately whereas the phone widgets has a combo). :(

Also does anyone know of a similar app to iOS's Afterglow (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/afterglow-photo-editor/id573116090?mt=8)?

I'm specifically looking for circle/triangle crop of pictures.

mzl.idmohevd.320x480-75.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
A vote for flipboard. I can sync my board to my ios devices which is a plus for me.
Last time I used feedly it was really bad. Is it improved now?

Feedly is awesome now. I like flipboard for phones, but Feedly for tablets.

Also, our playboard channel has 600 subscribers, whoo!

Cr0wn0

I guess most of the Podcast apps use presto to handle playing audio back at higher speeds. Anyone know why they do this? Does it work better or something?

Carl

Any UK GAFfers that bank with Nationwide may be happy to know that they finally got their shit together and released a mobile banking app.

reKon

Banned
Falcon for Twitter is perfect for me. Uninstalled Plume. I don't need anything other than this widget (which does everything).

Chopper

I was recently the victim of a stolen S2. By far the biggest problem was the loss of my photos. I had hundreds of photos of my puppy that I will never see again. What is the easiest/best way to back up the photos I take on my new S2? If it were to sync automatically with some account, that would be even better...

zbeeb

I was recently the victim of a stolen S2. By far the biggest problem was the loss of my photos. I had hundreds of photos of my puppy that I will never see again. What is the easiest/best way to back up the photos I take on my new S2? If it were to sync automatically with some account, that would be even better...

Google+ instant upload is what I use, never skipped a beat.

Ocho

Dropbox automatically uploads pics to the cloud (full res/size no less, someting google+ doesn't do -- I think).

jokkir

I'm giving Chrome another go. Any other browsers I should try?

This feels pretty fast so far. At least the page loading is faster compared to stock Jellybean browser, I think

Wazzim

Banned
I'm giving Chrome another go. Any other browsers I should try?

This feels pretty fast so far. At least the page loading is faster compared to stock Jellybean browser, I think

I ended up using Firefox, smooth scrolling and pretty quick loading.

jokkir

Impressions on the browsers so far:

Stock 4.1 Browser:
+Fastest scrolling out of the three.
+Quick controls are awesome.
-Crashes when there are too many images on the page
-Seems to load web pages the slowest, I think

Chrome:
+Fastest loading web pages,I think.
+Handles images very well (plays gifs full speed I yhonk)
+Doesn't crash when viewing a lot of images on the pages I went to
-Has by far the worst scrolling speed And smoothness out of the three

Boat Browser:
+Second fastest scrolling speed/smoothness right after Stock 4.1 browser
+Second fastest losing web pages
-UI I meh IMO. I don't really like how it seems really squished because of the bar on top and bottom

I'm on a Nexus S. The page I tried to load that has a lot of images was the Kpop community thread as that's filled with gifs and images. Tests were just going around GAF and opening random threads.

I tried downloading Firefox but its giving me and error when I try getting it from the Play Store. I'll try it again tomorrow

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I got my Galaxy S3, a week ago and today got my car dock and I HATE the car dock app on this. Any good customizable car dock apps? Looking for something that will give me access to the navigator easily, and access to a music player with nice big buttons.

Had a droid 3 before this, and while I disliked many things about the phone, Motorola's dock app was excellent.

Try Car Dock Home V3, I've been using it for a while and it's not bad.

You can create custom layouts, use pretty much any app widget, only major complaints would be editing layout is an exercise in frustration and it's a liiiiiittle but ugly.

Apart from that, loads of options, works a treat.

moojito

I got this app called playboard. It's a better front end for the google play store, telling you a bit about apps and showing you pics, etc. You can choose what categories of apps you're interested in.

As someone always on the lookout for interesting new apps, it's pretty cool. Worth a try, at least for most of the folks subscribed to this thread.

deim0s

Got my GF a Nexus 7, wow that reduction in screen size doesn't really matter much. But anyway, she's into iBooks and GoodReader for ePubs and PDFs. - any apps for android to be similar to them both?

Requirement is that she could load any format w/o difficulty and good ui and reading experience.

Blackhead

Redarse
I got this app called playboard. It's a better front end for the google play store, telling you a bit about apps and showing you pics, etc. You can choose what categories of apps you're interested in.

As someone always on the lookout for interesting new apps, it's pretty cool. Worth a try, at least for most of the folks subscribed to this thread.
... look at the OP

or just above you on this page
Also, our playboard channel has 600 subscribers, whoo!
Join the GAF group

Can anyone recommend a really good looking lock screen battery app? I just want to see how much power I have without unlocking the screen. Preferably percentage based because the little battery icon doesn't tell me to much.

Edit: Nevermind, CM10 comes with a option like that, just had to search for it.

moojito

... look at the OP

or just above you on this page

Join the GAF group

Damn, not sure how I missed that.

Not a big fan of there being like 6 different neogaf groups. It's the main thing about the app I don't like, in fact. Too many categories!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Damn, not sure how I missed that.

Not a big fan of there being like 6 different neogaf groups. It's the main thing about the app I don't like, in fact. Too many categories!

Then just follow the main one. The subgroups are just there for people looking for something specific. The main one has all the apps I add to the other ones in one place.

jokkir

What makes PowerAMP better than Play Music?

I don't really like how it looks lol. And I just really need something that plays music

What makes PowerAMP better than Play Music?

I don't really like how it looks lol. And I just really need something that plays music

Widgets in various sizes, updateable album art, graphic EQ, skinable, and it works smoother than Play for me on my janky phone.

If you just want play, pause and forward then Play is sufficient. Free is nice but customization always wins in my opinion.

Angst

Any recommendations for a simple voice recorder app? Is evernote the best synching solution from Android to Mac and vice versa?

I think Evernote is your best pick for that use scenario.

Or you could use foldersync + dropbox + any voice recording app. But Evernote is probably easier.

any Poweramp users who can help me with this?

All my music is on the Google Play cloud. I assume that Poweramp won't stream from the cloud, but if I download my songs using the "keep on device" feature, can I play those songs using Poweramp?

So far, I've tried downloading one of my playlists, but can't seem to find it on device

tino

Banned
No, the offline cache is not stored in normal format. Last time I check you can get an app to convert your google music cache to normal mp3 files. But after conversion they are no longer google music cache.

You might as well just copy the files from your PC. Or use Amazon music cloud or Dropbox to store your mp3 files.

Top Bottom