• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Cipherr

Then just follow the main one. The subgroups are just there for people looking for something specific. The main one has all the apps I add to the other ones in one place.

I downloaded the playboard thing I think, But I dont think I joined the NG group. I dont even think I ever launched the app. Ill check it out.

Edit: Ok I am all confused, the app I was thinking off was called AppGarden.

No, the offline cache is not stored in normal format. Last time I check you can get an app to convert your google music cache to normal mp3 files. But after conversion they are no longer google music cache.

You might as well just copy the files from your PC. Or use Amazon music cloud or Dropbox to store your mp3 files.

I thought this might be the case. Thanks!

Oyashiro

Just tried out feedly, really digging it. I've been searching for a good RSS reader and I think this is it. Flipboard is nice, but it doesnt mark posts as read. Minimal Reader Pro is pretty good, but sometimes has issues syncing with Google Reader. gReader is fine, but plain.

Just tried out feedly, really digging it. I've been searching for a good RSS reader and I think this is it. Flipboard is nice, but it doesnt mark posts as read. Minimal Reader Pro is pretty good, but sometimes has issues syncing with Google Reader. gReader is fine, but plain.

I think Flipboard may actually have a setting tucked away somewhere for marking Reader items as read as you flip past them. Flipboard's settings dialogs are not super intuitive to me though, so I'd hesitate to try and tell you where it is. Might be worth poking around though if that was the only reason you moved on from that app.

icaroz

Neo Member
I really like feedly as well, the only thing I miss from flipboard is the ability to add my twitter account/timeline as a section.

I really love Retune. Found it thanks to this thread. After changing the ugly icon it is almost perfect. It rivals and in some ways even surpasses the official apple remote on iPhone that I was so used to using previously. One thing I'd like to see is apple TV control. My apple TV remote battery died last week and I was using my iPhone and the remote app to control the apple TV in the meantime while I went and bought a battery. Not sure its even a feature that can be added. UI is a bit meh, certainly not bad but could use a bit of polish. That seems to be a trend I'm noticing after switching over to android for about a week now. A lot of ugly looking apps on the market where it didn't really standout as much to me on the apple app store. But admittedly many of those app store apps are all flash with little substance. Whereas I see many android apps just having a shit ton of options in comparison.

I used to use Unlock With Wifi, but I've got a HTC Desire X now and it seems to be incompatible with pattern unlock on ICS. Is there an alternative application that works on ICS that anyone knows about?

tino

Banned
I used to use Unlock With Wifi, but I've got a HTC Desire X now and it seems to be incompatible with pattern unlock on ICS. Is there an alternative application that works on ICS that anyone knows about?

I used to use that, and then I switch to tasker. Tasker can't reliably turn off screen lock under ICS either but it can change the time out time when at home.

Thanks for the replies, Delay Lock sounds about right, but it seems to be a conflict with ICS in general for these kinds of apps. From the Delay Lock description
Android 4.0/4.1:
Since ICS you need a rooted device to get the pattern lock and FaceUnlock working with the app! No root is required when using PIN or password lockscreen.

I'll have to see if someone's made root possible on the Desire X yet.

Razorwind

I am looking for an app that I can leave on while I am at work and maybe have a small music player widget while it shows a slideshow of my gallery or maybe news clips.

Pretty similar to the HTC Sense car dock app, any recommendations?

PogiJones

Banned
This might be slightly OT, but it's the most relevant thread I could find. But it's regarding Groove IP, which is an app, so that counts, right? :) But I need your guys' expertise.

My wife and I are with Sprint, and we've got the most basic plan because we're poor students. Even with their most basic plan (and a 27% discount due to one of her former jobs) we're still paying $80 for the two of us each month. So I want to cut costs, but I still want to keep all the functionality of being able to make phone calls from anywhere.

Here's my plan:

1. Buy two Android smartphones without plans.
2. Get us each a Google Voice account. (Check)
3. Transfer our current numbers to Google Voice, forcing Sprint to issue us a new number (I believe this is one of the options for getting a Google Voice number, rather than merging them). This way, we wouldn't have to tell everyone our number changed.
4. Get Groove IP. (Check)
5. Change our Google Voice phone affiliations to the phone of her and/or my parents (since Google Voice requires a real phone tied to it).
6. Adjust Google Voice options so that nothing ever goes to my parents' phones, and voicemail does not replace their voicemail. Essentially, a separate phone number.
7. Get a Sprint 3G/4G wireless hotspot unit that we can throw in the car whenever we're going somewhere, along with the 3 GB plan for $35/mo. (I figure 3 GB should be enough, since we'll almost always have a wireless network around us if we're not in the car.)
8. Cancel our current Sprint plan, leaving only the 3G Wireless Hotspot data plan.
*9. Maybe get a prepaid phone to keep around for emergencies (since, I believe, VoIP can't call 911).

This should allow us to keep our constant connection to the phone grid wherever we are, and still cut costs about $50/mo (after our discount), although it will require hardware investments up front. It would also essentially give us unlimited texting and data, except when we're in the car.

What do you guys think? Is this a sound plan? Do you guys see any holes that I'm not seeing, or any other more efficient way to cut costs while still having a constant connection to the grid?

you can call 911 on any working cellphone in the USA as long as there is a compatible tower in range, even if it would normally be considered roaming.

FCC regulations and all that. phone doesn't have to be in service, etc... emergency 911 has to be available on mobile handsets even when locked.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That would work. But sometimes quality can be spotty. Try it and see if you're happy. You don't even need a cell phone for what you're trying to accomplish.

Sprint's also probably not the best choice for a data only plan.

Zoe

So it turns out any time I use Google Music it stays active indefinitely and will keep the phone awake until I reboot it (I'm assuming I could force it to close though in the app settings). Anybody know if this is something they plan on addressing?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So since it was posted yesterday I've been using smart Wi-Fi toggler which is supposed to use GPS and location services to learn where in your day you are in regular Wi-Fi signal range.

I was pretty amazed by the concept but it doesn't seem to be working so hot. When I leave Wi-Fi it turns off the Wi-Fi receiver but doesn't turn back on when I get back into one of my regular hotspots so I have to enable Wi-Fi manually.

The FAQ said that it may take a few days to work out all the kinks. If you've used this app has this been your experience? Is it all just a matter of time?

It seems like it would be a real battery booster if it does indeed start functioning properly.

Oyashiro

Tried using that Smart Wifi thing, didn't care for it. It wasn't smart at all (wouldn't connect to wifi when I was home) and seemed to actually use MORE battery than before.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Falcon Pro really is a great Twitter app especially after all these updates. It's Android's Tweetbot. I can't find much to dislike about it and I hate every Android Twitter app out there. Finally, after years, goodbye Plume. Sucks it's not out for ADN.

jokkir

Falcon Pro really is a great Twitter app especially after all these updates. It's Android's Tweetbot. I can't find much to dislike about it and I hate every Android Twitter app out there. Finally, after years, goodbye Plume. Sucks it's not out for ADN.

I weep for it when it reaches the 100k token limit

Cipherr

link?

Bboy AJ

I would love to use Falcon, but Plume updates my timeline in real time, and Falcon doesn't. =(
Yes, this is an issue I have with Falcon. I'm sure Streaming is coming, though. As is Tweetsync. And other stuff, like deleting your own tweets.

I hope they integrate their widget into it, too.

vdlow

Yes, this is an issue I have with Falcon. I'm sure Streaming is coming, though. As is Tweetsync. And other stuff, like deleting your own tweets.

I hope they integrate their widget into it, too.

I read in the Falcon twitter profile that this feature won't be added. If I'm not wrong, it has something to do with the limit of request per hour.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just want to say this thread is amazing. (thanks Divvy for pointing me this way)

Going to spend a night perusing all the apps I can get for my new Note 2.

jokkir

About the 100k token limit for Twitter:
Can the developer just create multiple instances of the same app to get around that limit or does it not work that way?

_Isaac

http://bit.ly/TMHh49 | And here it goes ! #FalconPro BETA v0.8 - List + Trends + Butter ! APK and Changelog here bit.ly/TMHh49

Go go go get it, GAF. Before the token limit is hit. I prefer it over Tweetbot, to be honest.

So with this kind of app, am I going to have to redownload everytime he updates? I already downloaded this a week or so ago and I'm liking it so far, but I kinda hate the thought of having to check up on it all the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So with this kind of app, am I going to have to redownload everytime he updates? I already downloaded this a week or so ago and I'm liking it so far, but I kinda hate the thought of having to check up on it all the time.

It'll go to the play store when he officially releases it. This is just "beta".

Bboy AJ

See Brettison's post. And just follow the guy on Twitter for updates.

BiggNife

Xbox Smartglass officially supports 7 inch tablets now, if anyone cares.

It already supported the Nexus 7 before (but you had to sideload it) so I'm not really sure why its only officially supported now, but whatevs.

Bboy AJ

Tweet from the dev: 15mins before impact ... #FalconLanding

Hold onto your butts.

DrFurbs

It so aggravating that so many apps have an automatic startup procedure which effectively slows down the phone over time. I wish devs would give an option of turning this feature on or off.

_Isaac

Sagitario

What so great about Falcon Pro?
I have only used the official/standard Twitter app and it gets the job done. I haven't had any issues with it.

EDIT: Well, I bought it and with that, I officially have 2 cents left on my Google Play money that I got when I bought my Nexus 7.

How are you liking it?

_Isaac

What so great about Falcon Pro?
I have only used the official/standard Twitter app and it gets the job done. I haven't had any issues with it.

How are you liking it?

I like it just fine. I've never had a tablet before, so I don't really have much to compare it to. It's great for reading books and browsing the net is pretty easy. Jellybean is kinda nice. I still struggle with trying to figure out a reason why someone would have a tablet really.

Top Bottom