• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Donos

you can call 911 on any working cellphone in the USA as long as there is a compatible tower in range, even if it would normally be considered roaming.

FCC regulations and all that. phone doesn't have to be in service, etc... emergency 911 has to be available on mobile handsets even when locked.

Same in Germany.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Light Grid Pro is completely awesome. Is there a place where I can see designs that other people have shared? I'm not very artistic and the ones I've made so far look bad. The default themes look cool though

Falcon pro is okay but is there Amy way I can make my time line fill the entire screen? On my nexus it's squashed up on the side and it just looks a little silly.

Also, is anyone having trouble downloading knights of pen and paper?I keep getting an error when I try and pay. I have no problems purchasing other apps

what's the best app for grocery list that doesn't look like crap??

Holo based, more to-do lists but can be used for groceries and they also sync with google calendar/tasks:
Tasks
GTasks

Any.Do - very nice interface

Classic Notes Lite + App box - also nice interface, made by a fellow GAFer

Groceries specific:
Out of Milk - requires outofmilk account.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Falcon pro is okay but is there Amy way I can make my time line fill the entire screen? On my nexus it's squashed up on the side and it just looks a little silly.

Also, is anyone having trouble downloading knights of pen and paper?I keep getting an error when I try and pay. I have no problems purchasing other apps
I bought knights yesterday with no issue. NA store if that matters.

la_briola

Screenshot of the #1 Falcon Pro feature. Now buy it.

Screenshot_2012-12-03-17-26-00.png
(Nexus 7)

edit: Sometimes the internal browser crashes you back into the app, but they will fix this. I'm sure.
edit2:
17:32 < falcon_android> Packing up 1.0.3
17:32 < falcon_android> managed to stabilize the webview while keeping the melty butter sauce :) Also added some other fixes and useful changes. Stay tuned
This could fix the problem.
edit3:
17:48 < falcon_android> Just uploaded #FalconPro v1.0.3 on @GooglePlay. This one should be buttery/stable enough to start building new features on top. Excited :)
How long does it usually take for the play store to show updates?
edit4: Update is live for me and it fixed the browser crash.

This might be slightly OT, but it's the most relevant thread I could find. But it's regarding Groove IP, which is an app, so that counts, right? :) But I need your guys' expertise.

My wife and I are with Sprint, and we've got the most basic plan because we're poor students. Even with their most basic plan (and a 27% discount due to one of her former jobs) we're still paying $80 for the two of us each month. So I want to cut costs, but I still want to keep all the functionality of being able to make phone calls from anywhere.

Here's my plan:

1. Buy two Android smartphones without plans.
2. Get us each a Google Voice account. (Check)
3. Transfer our current numbers to Google Voice, forcing Sprint to issue us a new number (I believe this is one of the options for getting a Google Voice number, rather than merging them). This way, we wouldn't have to tell everyone our number changed.
4. Get Groove IP. (Check)
5. Change our Google Voice phone affiliations to the phone of her and/or my parents (since Google Voice requires a real phone tied to it).
6. Adjust Google Voice options so that nothing ever goes to my parents' phones, and voicemail does not replace their voicemail. Essentially, a separate phone number.
7. Get a Sprint 3G/4G wireless hotspot unit that we can throw in the car whenever we're going somewhere, along with the 3 GB plan for $35/mo. (I figure 3 GB should be enough, since we'll almost always have a wireless network around us if we're not in the car.)
8. Cancel our current Sprint plan, leaving only the 3G Wireless Hotspot data plan.
*9. Maybe get a prepaid phone to keep around for emergencies (since, I believe, VoIP can't call 911).

This should allow us to keep our constant connection to the phone grid wherever we are, and still cut costs about $50/mo (after our discount), although it will require hardware investments up front. It would also essentially give us unlimited texting and data, except when we're in the car.

What do you guys think? Is this a sound plan? Do you guys see any holes that I'm not seeing, or any other more efficient way to cut costs while still having a constant connection to the grid?
That Sounds way too complicated. I just bought the HTC One V for 50 bucks on cyber Monday. I've been with Virgin Mobile since 09 and previously had a LG optimus v...so I only payed 25 dollars a month for 300 min and unl text and data. Unfortunately when I switch my service to the HTC One V I will lose my grandfather status but ill still only pay 35 a month and considering its payg, I have a new android that runs ics and I can use Groove Ip I consider it worth it.

edit: ooh you're paying 80 for you two combined not each? If that's the case go for it.

My Kindle app doesn't seem to be delivering any books to me at the moment, does anyone know if that's because I'm not on a wifi network? That would be pretty stupid if it only delivered over wifi.

Menelaus

Banned
Been away from Android for about a year, just picked up an S3. Found out XBMC has a remote program now, and OH MY GOD WHY WAS I USING IOS FOR A YEAR.

Well I've updated my apps icon so it isn't an exact replica of the iPhones icon lol. Guess it's for the best anyway. New icon can be seen here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...s.app.enotesclassiclite&feature=search_result

BTW, not sure if anyones interested but I made a sort of txt analysis tool w/ a bunch of useful utilities. I'm not sure who here may find it useful but I'll pass it along anyway
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WZmbHlkZWx1c2lvbnMuYXBwLnRleHR1dGlsaXRpZXMiXQ..

From the description:
Text Analyzer is a multi-purpose suite of tools for various text operations.

- Escape/Unescape URL's, URI's, & XML
- Encode/decode Base64
- Adjust cases to/from UPPERCASE, lowercase, sWITCH cASE, Title Case, First letter of sentence
- Trim leading and trailing spaces
- Convert String to hex and vice versa
- Search and replace feature
- Text statistics which include word count, line numbers, character count, space count, word occurences including percentages.
- Import plain text files via SD or internal memory
- Export changes as plain text files
- Lexical density
- Display word count based on word length
- Display unique word count
- Average word length
- Characters without spaces
- Convert binary to string and vice versa
- Compare file or text differences w/ hilighting
- Reverse string - reverse a string of text
- Extract URLs - extract URLs from a given string
- Length based search - search a given text and hilight words based on given size
- Multi-word search - search for multiple words in one go

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Gmail app is updated. Pinch to zoom, archive gesture, etc included. Check the Play Store.

Holo based, more to-do lists but can be used for groceries and they also sync with google calendar/tasks:
Tasks
GTasks

Groceries specific:

Wow. Any.do is fantastic!

Gmail app is updated. Pinch to zoom, archive gesture, etc included. Check the Play Store.

Ew, you can update it on 4.0 but you still can't pinch to zoom. What a piece of shit

edit: nevermind, you have to enable the setting first. Why is that not on by default? How has it taken them this long to add pinch to zoom?

Menelaus

Banned
Ew, you can update it on 4.0 but you still can't pinch to zoom. What a piece of shit

User error = program is a piece of shit apparently.

You have to enable auto-fit first in general settings, then if it shrinks a message, you are allowed to pinch to zoom. If it didn't have to shrink it, you can't blow it up further.

equap

Banned
Tasks
GTasks

Groceries specific:
Any.Do is very nice, thanks.

Accoun

So, I'm back and I need some help again...

First of all, I'm looking for a SIMPLE/LIGHTWEIGHT pdf viewer. But it needs to have this "tap right for next page, tap left for previous" feature or something like that.

I need a image viewer/gallery as well. Sony Tablet S has one, but it's terrible. The slightest finger swipe changes the image, so I trend to do it accidentally a lot. Especially when zoomed in. I'd love if it actually didn't show any videos, only images...

kaskade

Falcon pro is awesome. Can't beat it for a buck.

Also, any word on when the facebook app is going native? I remember a while ago them saying it was being tested.

Hieberrr

Falcon pro is awesome. Can't beat it for a buck.

Also, any word on when the facebook app is going native? I remember a while ago them saying it was being tested.

Does it come with a widget or do I have to DL that Falcon Widget separately?

EDIT: It seems like the app does not come with a widget. I don't like the Falcon widget that is on the market now. I'll wait until the dev merges the two or makes it better.

Tried using that Smart Wifi thing, didn't care for it. It wasn't smart at all (wouldn't connect to wifi when I was home) and seemed to actually use MORE battery than before.

Try Y5. Never had it not do what it was supposed to. Only annoyance is that when signing into a new network, I always forget to disable the app first.

jokkir

Why is Soundhound so bad compared to Shazam. I don't understand. They were pretty equal before but now Soundhound doesn't get anything while Shazam gets mostly everything I throw at it :\

I was running on the trial of Tasker and now it's over. I really wish it wasn't $6.50. I uninstalled it and installed Llama. I like it and it's much easier to understand than Tasker, but why can't I select multiple apps under the condition? I hate having a separate profile for each app. I like wi-fi to turn off when I read books/comics or watch shows/movies. Oh well, it's free and pretty great. Does Tasker ever go on sale?

_Isaac

I was running on the trial of Tasker and now it's over. I really wish it wasn't $6.50. I uninstalled it and installed Llama. I like it and it's much easier to understand than Tasker, but why can't I select multiple apps under the condition? I hate having a separate profile for each app. I like wi-fi to turn off when I read books/comics or watch shows/movies. Oh well, it's free and pretty great. Does Tasker ever go on sale?

I don't trust Llama with putting my phone on silence while at work and all that jazz. It's failed me before. In the middle of a meeting.

I don't trust Llama with putting my phone on silence while at work and all that jazz. It's failed me before. In the middle of a meeting.
I'm only using it on my tablet to conserve battery life, so that won't be an issue for me. I'll have to figure out later if Llama can adjust the volume based on the app. I liked that Tasker could do that. The price of Tasker seems outrageous for me because I have a tablet, so I can't do too much with Tasker.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

If you want Tasker, buy Tasker. If you don't want to pay, you'll have to make some sacrifices. I haven't seen Tasker on sale. Which sucks because I've been waiting for a sale, too.

If you want Tasker, buy Tasker. If you don't want to pay, you'll have to make some sacrifices. I haven't seen Tasker on sale. Which sucks because I've been waiting for a sale, too.
i waited foreeeeever for Tasker to be on sale, then one day i just bought it. Still haven't seen it go on sale.

Gattsu25

Banned
Is there anything out there that is like the Inception App for iOS?

Kinda hard to explain what the app does...basically it uses the inline mic on your headphones and blends in the sound with music from the app. Everything from the mic is heavily distorted in various ways. This video is the best representation of it that I could find on youtube (listen to the vocal distortion that kicks in near the middle of the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBL2PWx3K2U

Anyway, is there anything like this on Android?

Is there anything out there that is like the Inception App for iOS?

Kinda hard to explain what the app does...basically it uses the inline mic on your headphones and blends in the sound with music from the app. Everything from the mic is heavily distorted in various ways. This video is the best representation of it that I could find on youtube (listen to the vocal distortion that kicks in near the middle of the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBL2PWx3K2U

Anyway, is there anything like this on Android?
sounds like something waiting for a DMCA takedown notice if it does exist.

Gattsu25

Banned
sounds like something waiting for a DMCA takedown notice if it does exist.
Well, I'm not asking for a blatant rip-off of the inception app (or anything related to the inception film in any way). I'm just looking for something that distorts live sounds in a similar fashion without sounding abrasive. Bonus points if it lets me play my own music in the background.

tino

Banned

It's possible to use 2-3 apps to do what half of what Tasker can do. You can't do any "if" conditional shit of course.

After messing with complicated rules for a while, I went back to simple location (cell tower) based profiles. It could cause unpredictable consequence if the rules are too complex.

If you have study programming, however, you should get Tasker to mess with it.

3rdman

XBMC for Android got updated to Beta2 release and it's pretty damn slick. It still chugs on HD content but SD is perfect. On my TPrime, it's audio output is greatly lacking though.

Once HD playback is resolved, it'll be fantastic. But Navi works as does most of the downloadable plugins....I love the way it handles App launches...I can play a game and when I exit, it goes right back to XBMC.

Top Bottom