• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

It's possible to use 2-3 apps to do what half of what Tasker can do. You can't do any "if" conditional shit of course.

After messing with complicated rules for a while, I went back to simple location (cell tower) based profiles. It could cause unpredictable consequence if the rules are too complex.

If you have study programming, however, you should get Tasker to mess with it.
I took one semester of computer programming my freshman year. We were the only semester to use ruby. I'll probably purchase Tasker around Christmas when I have some money. Llama will be okay until then.

Beautiful Widgets just got updated to version 5.0, and it is gorgeous.
I'm pissed cause it ruined the theme I was using on my homepage!

Before:

XfnKN.png

After:

I tried a billion other theme but they all suck, gahhhh. The only reason I paid for the app was for this shit!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Any recommendation which app to go for in regards to twitter?

I was using the regular twitter app but it doesn't seem to update my feed unless I do it manually. :(

I may try out plume.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys. Like a fool I accidentally left my nexus at home today. It was in sleep mode with Wi-Fi on and went from 100% to 82% in about 12 hours.

I was thinking about battery life and, though I've been very pleased thus far, you can never have enough juice. I've turned off Google now and was checking exactly what ate up 18% of my battery while I was away and apparently most of it is from the weather channel widget.

Can you fine folks recommend a very spartan, efficient weather widget that won't hog resources and which I can ideally set how often it updates?

I need a weather widget, but I don't need all kinds of 3d CGI clouds and snowflakes and shit making my home screen look like a SYFY original movie.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey guys. Like a fool I accidentally left my nexus at home today. It was in sleep mode with Wi-Fi on and went from 100% to 82% in about 12 hours.

I was thinking about battery life and, though I've been very pleased thus far, you can never have enough juice. I've turned off Google now and was checking exactly what ate up 18% of my battery while I was away and apparently most of it is from the weather channel widget.

Can you fine folks recommend a very spartan, efficient weather widget that won't hog resources and which I can ideally set how often it updates?

I need a weather widget, but I don't need all kinds of 3d CGI clouds and snowflakes and shit making my home screen look like a SYFY original movie.

For battery, it's probably an issue of how often that widget updated rather than it being a resource hog. But Beautiful Widgets. Try that.

Horseticuffs

For battery, it's probably an issue of how often that widget updated rather than it being a resource hog. But Beautiful Widgets. Try that.

I'll bare that in mind. For now I'm going to try a free one I found called "Transparent weather clock" that seems to do everything I want.

I found out that weather.com app updates each hour, whereas I can set this free one to update every two hours. Between that and turning off Google now I'm hoping to get the most out of my battery :)

Edit:

Ends up looking quite nice, I think.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Any recommendation which app to go for in regards to twitter?

I was using the regular twitter app but it doesn't seem to update my feed unless I do it manually. :(

I may try out plume.
Like others have said Falcon Pro man, I went from Tweetbot on iPhone to Falcon Pro and I'm quite pleased with it. Best twitter app I've used on android so far.

I don't get all the love for Falcon pro. I only use twitter to check out my timeline. I hardly ever tweet. My timeline is squashed up on the side of the screen and I can't see anyway to make it full screen in the setting. Am I using it wrong or is this just not the twitter app for me?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't get all the love for Falcon pro. I only use twitter to check out my timeline. I hardly ever tweet. My timeline is squashed up on the side of the screen and I can't see anyway to make it full screen in the setting. Am I using it wrong or is this just not the twitter app for me?
I use it because I have separated list for friends accounts, sports accounts, family, etc and Falcon Pro seems to be one of the only apps that allows me to access them easily, and it's a pretty simple layout. I still prefer Tweetbot on iPhone, but it's not available for Android unfortunately.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So are there any good dieting apps? I'm looking for something that's good for keeping count of calories and looking up nutrition facts.

So are there any good dieting apps? I'm looking for something that's good for keeping count of calories and looking up nutrition facts.

Myfitnesspal

It syncs with an account on myfitnesspal.com and has a huge database. If there are foods missing you just add them to the db, and then you can reuse them later.

Horseticuffs

Myfitnesspal

It syncs with an account on myfitnesspal.com and has a huge database. If there are foods missing you just add them to the db, and then you can reuse them later.

Man, MFP is excellent. It's been a TREMENDOUS help to me, and there's even a GAF group! I give it tons of credit in my weight loss.

Also, I use Runtastic Pro every day and it's reliable and just works, man.

Good luck!

Ixian

Can you take a screenshot of what you're talking about? Because it sounds to me like you have another panel slid into view and just need to slide the timeline over.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use cycling directions with google now? Only get to choose between driving or public transport. I bike everywhere, so it is useless to me otherwise.

Hopefully it gets updated.

Is there a definitive list of console games up on the market? I know GTA3, sonic cd and Jet Set Radio are up. I'm hoping someone has a good list of ports or something out there.

Cipherr

Screenshot what you are talking about. I don't recall anything being 'squeezed' against the sides.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My gf is getting me a Nexus 7 for Christmas, yay! :) I've never paid much attention to Android (since I have an iphone too), but now I'm looking for what I've been missing out on... I'll be using it mostly for university, so in that context, what are some great apps I need? First glance tells me Asus Supernote is good, but what do I know. Also looking for any other apps that are personal favourites/universally acclaimed here :) Thanks in advance!

darkwing

is there something like Air Video for Android? yeah I know there is splashtop but Air Video is much better at handling video stuff

rc213

Me neither, still as long as it's more stable than swype. Doesn't appear to have a user dictionary to save words with backup and sync.

3phemeral

Google just updated Translate, Google Search, Authenticator, and Voice. Most notable are Translate and Search:

Search:

What's in this version:
For Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean), Google Search keeps getting faster, plus:
New cards:
- Events nearby [integrating Field Trip?]
- Suggestions to help with your research
- Boarding passes from Gmail (United only, more to come) [just scheduled a flight with them, awesome]
- Search by camera when at museums or shops [integrating Google Shopper?]
- Weather at upcoming travel destinations
- Approximate monthly summary of walking and biking activity
- Birthdays
New voice actions:
- Post to Google+ [awesome]
- Say "What's this song?" to find the song you hear
- Say "Scan a barcode" to find product info

Example of Google Search by photo:
u0hQPl.png

JkkTgl.png

----------

And Google Translate:

What's in this version:
• Translate Chinese, Japanese, and Korean by recognizing text with your Camera (horizontal text only, for now).
• Recognize handwriting in more languages:
Afrikaans, Croatian, Czech, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Slovak, Slovenian, Ukrainian, Welsh

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
After using it for 5 minutes, I've come to the conclusion that swift key flow is dramatically better than swype.

Doopliss

After using it for 5 minutes, I've come to the conclusion that swift key flow is dramatically better than swype.
As expected, SKF is great at getting the right words even if you're really sloppy with your input. But I wish they'd make their word correction better for when mistakes do happen. It seems like almost every time I'm going to have to completely retype the word, compared to the stock 4.1 keyboard where the replacement suggestions are usually really good.

g0tm1lk

I'll bare that in mind. For now I'm going to try a free one I found called "Transparent weather clock" that seems to do everything I want.

I found out that weather.com app updates each hour, whereas I can set this free one to update every two hours. Between that and turning off Google now I'm hoping to get the most out of my battery :)

Edit:

Ends up looking quite nice, I think.

Wallpaper source please

Top Bottom