• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

snacknuts

we all knew her
After using it for 5 minutes, I've come to the conclusion that swift key flow is dramatically better than swype.

After using it for five minutes, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't really care for swiping-style text entry. Back to regular SwiftKey for me.

Accoun

So, I'm back and I need some help again...

First of all, I'm looking for a SIMPLE/LIGHTWEIGHT pdf viewer. But it needs to have this "tap right for next page, tap left for previous" feature or something like that.

I need a image viewer/gallery as well. Sony Tablet S has one, but it's terrible. The slightest finger swipe changes the image, so I trend to do it accidentally a lot. Especially when zoomed in. I'd love if it actually didn't show any videos, only images...

mokeyjoe

I clung on to the increasingly horrible Swype for ages because swiping worked so much better on my little Xperia Ray screen. Finally I've got the perfect keyboard for tapping in landscape and swiping in portrait.

SimleuqiR

Soooo

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.niksoftware.snapseed

Snapseed: beautiful photos with your mobile device
Great pictures aren’t taken, they’re made—and Nik Software has been helping people make awesome photos for years. Having welcomed Nik to the Google family, we're excited to bring their Snapseed app (last year's iPad app of the year) to Android. It includes:
  • Basic adjustments like tune, straighten and crop
  • Creative filters like drama, black & white, and vintage that you can apply individually or in combination
  • Control Point technology to selectively enhance your photo—to brighten just a face, for instance, or deepen just the sky
  • The ability to share your creations via Google+ and other services

http://www.snapseed.com/home/gallery/

RuGalz

love the swiftness of swiftkey flow but how do you correct a word? as soon as I pick up my finger it just move onto the next word without giving me a chance to correct it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
love the swiftness of swiftkey flow but how do you correct a word? as soon as I pick up my finger it just move onto the next word without giving me a chance to correct it.

Hold the backspace to go back a word, or click on the word to correct - Swiftkey seems really eager to be 'predictive'. But it might be different if you switch the typing mode - right now I am using 'autocorrect mode' - so it would make sense. Let me try switching it.

edit: nope, no luck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hold the backspace to go back a word, or click on the word to correct - Swiftkey seems really eager to be 'predictive'. But it might be different if you switch the typing mode - right now I am using 'autocorrect mode' - so it would make sense. Let me try switching it.

Yeah this makes swift key flow basically useless to me. A list of alternate words to what you typed is far more important than predictive text to me.

skybaby

Does anyone know if there is a way to use cycling directions with google now? Only get to choose between driving or public transport. I bike everywhere, so it is useless to me otherwise.

Hopefully it gets updated.

It depends you where you're plotting the route. If maps doesn't know bike details, it won't offer it. go to google.com/mapmaker and add them yourself

RuGalz

that's too bad. i really like that you don't have to lift finger up to advance to the next word but it really should stop the cursor at the end of the last word and give you a chance to correct it (along with prediction choices for the last word). back to swype for now...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Is there a way to change the download directory on Google Chrome ? I want to download stuff directly to my micro sd and not to the phone flash memory.

JKTrix

It is indeed just a beta, but for me right now it's not gonna replace Swype. I don't really mind lifting my thumb off the screen to start a new word, which seems to be the one major feature that Flow has over Swype at the moment.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Anyone have a suggestion on alternate camera apps, if such a thing exists? I recently rooted my HTC Evo 4G Shift to a new ROM based off the S3, but I find the stock camera awful. It only focuses on the center of the screen and doesn't really capture a good image. Pictures are very noisy compared to my old gingerbread HTC cam.

HildyB

I thought you could be able to type whole sentences with one swipe? I can't seem to do that.

I thought that too, swipe to space bar to keep it going. So you need to insert your own spaces. I was hoping it was like tap type and just space it for you, but seems its not there yet.

cube444

Any suggestions for sites that have cool wallpapers that might also include the Android robot thingy mascot?

Thanks!

P.S. Any place to find nice live wallpapers too?

mokeyjoe

It is indeed just a beta, but for me right now it's not gonna replace Swype. I don't really mind lifting my thumb off the screen to start a new word, which seems to be the one major feature that Flow has over Swype at the moment.

I'm finding it much more forgiving on mistyping too. Also I like it for two thumb tapping in landscape. It's not perfect yet but it's the closest thing to what I want.

Cynar

My gf is getting me a Nexus 7 for Christmas, yay! :) I've never paid much attention to Android (since I have an iphone too), but now I'm looking for what I've been missing out on... I'll be using it mostly for university, so in that context, what are some great apps I need? First glance tells me Asus Supernote is good, but what do I know. Also looking for any other apps that are personal favourites/universally acclaimed here :) Thanks in advance!

University? I use Evernote. I paid for the subscription features and use it almost exclusively for all my notes. It helps me as a note taker because I can just share my notebooks with those in need and allows me easy access on any device.

My only gripe with evernote is they still haven't provided keyboard shortcuts for simple things like bolding, bullet lists etc but it's pretty awesome.

Tasks is a great to-do list app that syncs with your google account. I love it's clean interface and holo design.

Evernote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...esult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5ldmVybm90ZSJd

Tasks

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImNoLnRlYW10YXNrcy50YXNrcy5wYWlkIl0.

Unfortunately nothing really replaces Word 2010 yet but office suite pro is a decent word processor when you need one in a pinch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...3lzdGVtcy5lZGl0b3Iub2ZmaWNlX3JlZ2lzdGVyZWQiXQ..

RuGalz

Anyone have a suggestion on alternate camera apps, if such a thing exists? I recently rooted my HTC Evo 4G Shift to a new ROM based off the S3, but I find the stock camera awful. It only focuses on the center of the screen and doesn't really capture a good image. Pictures are very noisy compared to my old gingerbread HTC cam.

Are you sure you can't touch the screen to focus on other spots? It is default to the center but you should be able to change it...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
University? I use Evernote. I paid for the subscription features and use it almost exclusively for all my notes. It helps me as a note taker because I can just share my notebooks with those in need and allows me easy access on any device.

My only gripe with evernote is they still haven't provided keyboard shortcuts for simple things like bolding, bullet lists etc but it's pretty awesome.

Tasks is a great to-do list app that syncs with your google account. I love it's clean interface and holo design.

Evernote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...esult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5ldmVybm90ZSJd

Tasks

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImNoLnRlYW10YXNrcy50YXNrcy5wYWlkIl0.

Unfortunately nothing really replaces Word 2010 yet but office suite pro is a decent word processor when you need one in a pinch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...3lzdGVtcy5lZGl0b3Iub2ZmaWNlX3JlZ2lzdGVyZWQiXQ..

What does the subscription feature give you? I'm looking for an app that will let me take notes on powerpoint presentations, preferably including some basic mspaint stuff like draw ellipses and stuff. as well as take notes "on the bottom" of powerpoint slides (similar to the "notes" feature on MS-PP)

Torraz

Any recommendation for an app that will help me with reading ebooks in PDF format and have supporting features such as increasing/decreasing font size etc.?

Torraz

So, I'm back and I need some help again...

First of all, I'm looking for a SIMPLE/LIGHTWEIGHT pdf viewer. But it needs to have this "tap right for next page, tap left for previous" feature or something like that.

Seconding this. Preferably with an option to increase/decrease fontsize (and increase/decrease the corresponding amount of pages so that scrolling is not necessary).

It depends you where you're plotting the route. If maps doesn't know bike details, it won't offer it. go to google.com/mapmaker and add them yourself

If I use the Google Map app I can get bike directions for anywhere I choose. The library is literally up the street from me, and if I set it as work I still only can use driving or public transit in the options. There is no choice for walking or biking. Not sure why those two arent implemented when all it is doing is grabbing the info from Google Maps and displaying it in Now.

Unless I am missing something. I live in Vancouver and there are tons of bike routes. When I use the Google Maps app, or Google Maps web page, I have no problem getting bike routes.

Seconding this. Preferably with an option to increase/decrease fontsize (and increase/decrease the corresponding amount of pages so that scrolling is not necessary).

For PDF files I have found that the adobe reader is best. It loads fastest out of all I have tried. I have the paid version of EzPDF and while it has more options, it is not as fast at loading the next page.

You can also use Perfect Viewer, which is a comic viewer, and download the PDF add-on for it. While this is a good solution with again, many more options, it is also not as speedy as Adobe reader.

Torraz

If I use the Google Map app I can get bike directions for anywhere I choose. The library is literally up the street from me, and if I set it as work I still only can use driving or public transit in the options. There is no choice for walking or biking. Not sure why those two arent implemented when all it is doing is grabbing the info from Google Maps and displaying it in Now.

Unless I am missing something. I live in Vancouver and there are tons of bike routes. When I use the Google Maps app, or Google Maps web page, I have no problem getting bike routes.

For PDF files I have found that the adobe reader is best. It loads fastest out of all I have tried. I have the paid version of EzPDF and while it has more options, it is not as fast at loading the next page.

You can also use Perfect Viewer, which is a comic viewer, and download the PDF add-on for it. While this is a good solution with again, many more options, it is also not as speedy as Adobe reader.

Thanks. I'll give those a try.

:edit:

Yes, thanks. Adobe reader is exactly what I was looking for:
- fast
- I can zoom the text how I want it, without having to then engage in any scrolling
- tapping to go to the next page

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
I'm using SwiftKey Flow beta to type this message and so far I'm really impressed. The feature to automatically insert spaces by swiping over space needs work though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Are you sure you can't touch the screen to focus on other spots? It is default to the center but you should be able to change it...

Nope, I could do that on my stock ROM's camera, as well as change ISO (which this doesn't seem to do at all, everything comes out super grainy). There's two modes, Infinite and Auto for focus, but touching the screen does not let it concentrate on a specific spot.

I have some questions about the Chrome and Firefox browsers. I want to switch from Chrome to Firefox but don't see all the features.

1. In Chrome how do I find my history?
2. In Firefox how do I find my history OR bookmarks? All I see in the menu is "add bookmark." I should note I am currently syncing a lot of bookmarks - do they not show up at all until it's finished?
3. In either browser can I set a website to always open the desktop version?

I get the feeling both browsers are very bare-bones compared to their desktop equivalents. At least show me my damn history.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's finally here. Finally. Well, almost.

A few days ago, we were treated to a lovely look at what Tasker, the highly-customizable Android automation app, could look like if it got a nice facelift. Unfortunately, this was done by the Android team and was not representative of any real work being done by the developer. As it turns out, though, the developer behind said application is working on a holo conversion.

Android Police, of course: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...i-overhaul-too-plus-a-bunch-of-other-updates/

Here's something that should spark some discussion:

Sorry pre-ICS people, I've hit a road block and I'm not going to be able to keep pre-ICS backwards compatibility.

I say so what. Make a Tasker 2 and ignore the old one. Progress needs to be made. The GB people enjoy their app for what it already does. Go ahead and make a fresh new app and charge for it again. If it's enough of an upgrade, I'm fine with it. Mobile devs shouldn't be chained to only one app. Paying for software upgrades is a perfectly fine idea.

edit: how the hell am I the second top poster in this thread

It's finally here. Finally. Well, almost.

Android Police, of course: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...i-overhaul-too-plus-a-bunch-of-other-updates/

Here's something that should spark some discussion:

I say so what. Make a Tasker 2 and ignore the old one. Progress needs to be made. The GB people enjoy their app for what it already does. Go ahead and make a fresh new app and charge for it again. If it's enough of an upgrade, I'm fine with it. Mobile devs shouldn't be chained to only one app. Paying for software upgrades is a perfectly fine idea.

edit: how the hell am I the second top poster in this thread

i'd be upset if it was a new app, i just bought Tasker! plus, he can do different updates based on OS version anyway!

CM Team Member Releases aeGis Open Source Security App - Remotely Lock, Wipe, Locate Or Alarm Your Phone With A Text

While there is no shortage of security apps on the Play Store, aeGis one stands out a bit for a few reasons. For starters, it's dead simple to use. Set up a specific trigger phrase and you can text your phone to lock the display, remotely wipe, find the address of, or sound an alarm from your phone. There's no web interface, unfortunately, but this app trades the elaborate suite of services of something like Avast for simplicity.

What's even cooler is this app is entirely open source. Built by a member of the CyanogenMod team as a side project, the entire codebase is available on Github here. The app builds on SMSAlarm by adding the lock, wipe, and locate functionality. If an enterprising developer would like to improve it any more, they're free to do so under the GPL license. Naturally, aeGis itself is also free.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...-wipe-locate-or-alarm-your-phone-with-a-text/

sounds cool.

tino

Banned
If the Tasker guy charge the app again, I wouldn't pay for it and will stop recommending it

Although what the functionality the current app offer at least worth 3-4 bux for me.

I don't know why would anyone pay twice for a nicer looking Tasker. It's like pay extra for a car with better looking engine under the hook.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If the Tasker guy charge the app again, I wouldn't pay for it and will stop recommending it

Although what the functionality the current app offer at least worth 3-4 bux for me.

I don't know why would anyone pay twice for a nicer looking Tasker. It's like pay extra for a car with better looking engine under the hook.

It's more than just looks. It's API changes. Also, a nicer looking Tasker is probably easier to use. Sign me up.

Top Bottom