• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

DrFurbs

Whats your opinions on Swiftkey flow - (the Swype alternative) so far Gaf?

Seems pretty solid. Swype is good but its prediction is terrible - SK-F seems much much better.

Cipherr

It's finally here. Finally. Well, almost.

Android Police, of course: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...i-overhaul-too-plus-a-bunch-of-other-updates/

Here's something that should spark some discussion:

I say so what. Make a Tasker 2 and ignore the old one. Progress needs to be made. The GB people enjoy their app for what it already does. Go ahead and make a fresh new app and charge for it again. If it's enough of an upgrade, I'm fine with it. Mobile devs shouldn't be chained to only one app. Paying for software upgrades is a perfectly fine idea.

edit: how the hell am I the second top poster in this thread

It would suck if you had just bought Tasker. But yeah, Im with you on this. Go ahead and make upgrades to the program that can only be done using the new 4.0+ APIs and improve the interface and make a new version. Im not cool with them just stopping improving things just because.

The current tasker is a great app and worth it. Keep moving forward, because if he doesn't some other dev will. Android 2.0 and its variations have had their 2+ years. Time to move on, especially since there will still be a perfectly functional Tasker app for GB, its not going to just vanish.

snacknuts

we all knew her
After balking at the idea of ever buying a tablet, I think I might be in the market for a Nexus 10. I'm in grad school and while taking notes in class, I find myself constantly wishing I could make hand-drawn notes/diagrams. Can anyone recommend a program that is made for this sort of thing? My ideal setup would be a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard for typing, with the ability to quickly use a stylus to just start drawing stuff anywhere on the page.

PaulLFC

After using it for 5 minutes, I've come to the conclusion that swift key flow is dramatically better than swype.
Didn't even realise it was out until I read this, but now I have it, I really like it.

So far it doesn't seem to crash like Swype does either, which is an obvious bonus.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
For those comparing swift key flow to Swype, you are using the Swype beta and not some bundled version right? Because any version other than the latest Swype beta is trash. They have really improved it. I can't use swift key flow or the 4.2 keyboard after using the Swype beta for so long.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I am in love with these live wallpapers by maxelus. They are super smooth on a Nexus 4, look amazing and seem very light on battery. I got them all. I haven't done any scientific testing, but they seem to have a minimal impact on battery.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...tYXhlbHVzLmZyZXNobGVhdmVzbGl2ZXdhbGxwYXBlciJd

Fresh Leaves is my current favorite. To get into the winter spirit, I have icy leaves gracing my homescreen. My favorite free one is Shadow Galaxy.

reKon

Banned
I am going crazy or is the prediction on SwiftKey Flow way better than the 4.2s keyboard? (whether in flow mode or regular mode)

Speevy

Banned
I am in love with these live wallpapers by maxelus. They are super smooth on a Nexus 4, look amazing and seem very light on battery. I got them all. I haven't done any scientific testing, but they seem to have a minimal impact on battery.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...tYXhlbHVzLmZyZXNobGVhdmVzbGl2ZXdhbGxwYXBlciJd

Fresh Leaves is my current favorite. To get into the winter spirit, I have icy leaves gracing my homescreen. My favorite free one is Shadow Galaxy.

Can you help me out?

I got his galaxy pack and now it won't let me install it.

What's worse, it charged me for it, but says I didn't purchase it on my Nexus 7.

reKon

Banned

Thanks for the share. These are nice.

It would suck if you had just bought Tasker. But yeah, Im with you on this. Go ahead and make upgrades to the program that can only be done using the new 4.0+ APIs and improve the interface and make a new version. Im not cool with them just stopping improving things just because.

The current tasker is a great app and worth it. Keep moving forward, because if he doesn't some other dev will. Android 2.0 and its variations have had their 2+ years. Time to move on, especially since there will still be a perfectly functional Tasker app for GB, its not going to just vanish.
If someone is gonna be screwed it should be the Gingerbread folk, not new people with new phones who just bought Tasker.

I am going crazy or is the prediction on SwiftKey Flow way better than the 4.2s keyboard? (whether in flow mode or regular mode)

That reminds me, I have to try the 4.2 keyboard someday.

JOdiol.png

Speevy

Banned
Is there an app like ListNote that turns speech into text, but does not stop its recognition until the user says so?

So for example I could talk indefinitely and just have the document get bigger and bigger?

What's worse, it charged me for it, but says I didn't purchase it on my Nexus 7.

This just happened to me for a couple of app purchases and a friend is also having the same problem. One of the 2 apps I bought downloaded on it's own after about 3 hours but I'm still waiting for the other one.

Seems like there might be some issues with the Google servers so it might be prudent to put off any app purchases for a day or so until the problem is fixed.

yogloo

So, I'm back and I need some help again...

First of all, I'm looking for a SIMPLE/LIGHTWEIGHT pdf viewer. But it needs to have this "tap right for next page, tap left for previous" feature or something like that.

I need a image viewer/gallery as well. Sony Tablet S has one, but it's terrible. The slightest finger swipe changes the image, so I trend to do it accidentally a lot. Especially when zoomed in. I'd love if it actually didn't show any videos, only images...

The best pdf based on my experience is radaee pdf. Extremely fast and nimble. You can also write notes with it. Amazing app. The rest is pretty slow and crappy.

I've updated my app with the following changes to whoever is using it here:

Updated with the following changes:

- Zar added to currency preference (request)
- Cut at width option added in text utilities - Will cut every line of text in a note at the specified width
- Split pane option added. Open 2 notes/files in a single view. Nice for comparison or reference. Can also highlight differences between the two texts. Both views can be saved. Can be accessed from the note edit menu.
- Option added to place cursor position at either the beginning or end of a note when opening.
- Bug fixes

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...s.app.enotesclassiclite&feature=search_result

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Currents 2.0 Released - Tons Of New Features Added, Brand-New Edition Sidebar UI

What's new in 2.0?
* Edition sidebar - quickly access your editions within categories such as business, sports, etc.
* Fast scan - Vertical swipe to scan an edition, horizontal swipe advances to next edition
* Edition-section chooser - Choose “Customize” to filter out sections
* Unread marks - Read stories are marked. (Setting to hide)
* Breaking stories - ranked by Google News. Links to full length content.
* Saved stories - star for future reference
* New catalog design
* Widget
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/12/google-currents-2-0-released-tons-of-new-features-added/

womp

Ew, Currents is so ugly now

Ugly is one thing, as long as it's *functional* is the important part. Give me something that works over vanity any day of the week. It's been a total pig of resources and a slog to use since it came out this time last year.

I'm willing to give it another shot.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Good point. I don't know why. Android Police deserve some hits, though!

Ugly is one thing, as long as it's *functional* is the important part. Give me something that works over vanity any day of the week. It's been a total pig of resources and a slog to use since it came out this time last year.

I'm willing to give it another shot.

Same here. I liked the way the app looked before but using it was too clunky. I'm giving it another shot.

Currents looks now more like the G+ app which is good. Feels a bit sluggish to navigate though (don't remember how it was before haven't used it in a while) but the imporvement is good and the widget is nice.

Accoun

Folks using SwiftKey Flow: is it just me, or there's no option for arrow keys (on the main keyboard) on tablet version?

Gattsu25

Banned
Folks using SwiftKey Flow: is it just me, or there's no option for arrow keys (on the main keyboard) on tablet version?
I don't have the tablet version but there doesn't appear to be on the phone version.

How the heck do I dismiss the keyboard? Swiping down does nothing.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I was testing out the Swiftkey swiping and it seems inferior to Swype. I can swipe while barely looking at the keyboard in Swype, led to many errors in Swiftkey. While recognition is down from the earlier Swype betas (especially with uncommon words like sine getting chosen over a common word like since which makes me delete them from the dictionary) the 1.3 fixed some of the bad issues with the previous beta. (I also still turn off auto correction because it's unnecessary with the swiping method and just tends to cause rage inducing word changes...)

While Swiftkey flow can guess the swiped word better than the built in Google implementation and supports a more loose swipe input, in Swype I can start going in the completely wrong direction and still get the intended word which tend to leads to errors with those other keyboards. When you get good at swiping this is important for speed.

I'm still testing the Swiftkey so I did have a few questions about it. (1) when swiping it wouldn't do contractions? I couldn't find how to get them to work. (2) is there a way to get more swipe suggestions? Some of the time I would swipe something but it would guess wrong but with only a few suggestions I couldn't correct, sometimes not even when I would go very slow would it come up in the suggestions. Whereas in Swype I could just slide through a big list of them. (3) are there shortcuts for copy/cut, paste, and select all ?

Top Bottom