• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

ZZMitch

Nah I don't want to have facebook virus live in my phone. I only check facebook twice a month.

Well some people check it a bit more often I think so it is useful for them.

Also, just a quick question for you guys. Do you use Google Currents or Google Reader? Or both?

Erdem

Banned
Personally I stopped using weather apps as soon as I got Google Now, don't really see the point anymore.

Get Aix Weather widget. At a quick glance at the graph you'll know the temperature progress in the next 24 hours, if it will be cloudy or sunny and how much it's going to rain. So much information density in just a 4x1 widget. I can't do without it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In other awesome APP news...

Android Police!

Google Calendar App Updated - New Notification Actions, Event Location Suggestions, And Quick Event Creation

We figure this is just another example of Google's apps catching up with Android's rich notifications, introduced in 4.1.

Hieberrr

Guys, the Curse is free for this promo.

Grab it while you can. I heard pretty awesome things from it from some gaf members.

N5CqMdZh7qKwOqKHChOqLR6299XdKOKr1t_PwxKq6wBgHriqKtTV6FewsUf1MrK5ww0=w705

Sitegeist

Sitegeist shows you the data that surrounds you.
Understand and uncover the identity of a location with a tap.

Sitegeist helps you to learn more about your surroundings in seconds. Drawing on publicly available information, the app presents solid data in a simple at-a-glance format to help you tap into the pulse of your location anywhere in the United States.

From demographics on the people and housing to the latest popular spots or weather, Sitegeist presents localized information visually so you can get back to enjoying the neighborhood. Sitegeist was created by the Sunlight Foundation with support from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and is the third in a series of National Data Apps.

Zizbuka

Banned
I want a very basic MP3 player. I just want it to show a tree like structure of my directories, like in a file manager. I don't want it to read metadata and 'build' a list. For example:

I have the Brit Box (4 awesome discs of Brit Pop). In the players I've tried, if I go to Artist view, I get a list of all the artists on Brit Box, each with 1 song.

When I copy my music over, I do it in an Artist/Album structure. I want a player that just lists my directories (folders), like I have them.

Anyone know of one?

I want a very basic MP3 player. I just want it to show a tree like structure of my directories, like in a file manager. I don't want it to read metadata and 'build' a list. For example:

I have the Brit Box (4 awesome discs of Brit Pop). In the players I've tried, if I go to Artist view, I get a list of all the artists on Brit Box, each with 1 song.

When I copy my music over, I do it in an Artist/Album structure. I want a player that just lists my directories (folders), like I have them.

Anyone know of one?

Poweramp has a folder view, but it also has a library view, and it isn't really basic. I think VLC has a folder view. Which players have you already tried?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1844199

Angst

Get Aix Weather widget. At a quick glance at the graph you'll know the temperature progress in the next 24 hours, if it will be cloudy or sunny and how much it's going to rain. So much information density in just a 4x1 widget. I can't do without it.

Done by a norwegian guy? Ok, downloaded :)

alphaNoid

Banned
I am in love with these live wallpapers by maxelus. They are super smooth on a Nexus 4, look amazing and seem very light on battery. I got them all. I haven't done any scientific testing, but they seem to have a minimal impact on battery.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...tYXhlbHVzLmZyZXNobGVhdmVzbGl2ZXdhbGxwYXBlciJd

Fresh Leaves is my current favorite. To get into the winter spirit, I have icy leaves gracing my homescreen. My favorite free one is Shadow Galaxy.

I just bought Fresh Leaves... maybe the best Android purchase I've made in 3 years. I'm in love with the live wallpaper, the options and everything. It brought my S3 even more to life.

Zizbuka

Banned
Poweramp has a folder view, but it also has a library view, and it isn't really basic. I think VLC has a folder view. Which players have you already tried?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1844199

Thanks for the link, I installed a bunch, I'll try them out. One of the things I love about Android is the ability to access the Play store on my PC, and remotely install apps quickly. Awesome feature.

I've tried many players, can't list them all. I eventually settled on Real Player. I also liked one just called 3 (cubed).

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey my android brethren, silly question. Is there any way for me to forward texts from my phone to my tablet? Like make it so my native text app on my phone just sends texts to my separate " textme" app number.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not too up on some aspects of Android yet. Thanks!

If any of you are looking for an alternative web browser, try out XScope. Its not that feature heavy, and it runs pretty quick. A downside is you cant sync with chrome, but I got past that and now i prefer it over chrome

I been using the paid version since my nexus one, and i cant help but love it cause the navigation is very fluid to me at least.

Gigglepoo

I just got a Nexus S 4G after my Evo Shift died. I'm instantly in need of a couple replacement apps. HTC had much nicer looking calendar and clock widgets, any good free ones I should download? Also, the music player on my Evo could cut out parts of the song to make a ringtone, is there a free music player I can download that replicates that functionality?

Also, my Evo could synch with my Facebook so all of my friends pictures were up to date. I'm pretty sure that my Nexus can't because of boring legal reasons. True?

Any other random tips would be nice. For instance, how do I make typing on a screen not a pain?

Anyone know of one?

I've tried pretty much every music playing app and they all suck. All of them. The one that sucks the least and has the features you want is PlayerPro. Throw the custom dark ICS skin on that so it's no longer hideous and you're all set.

With a few UI/design changes the app would be a solid 10/10.

TxdoHawk

Is there something that will let me whitelist/blacklist what apps can activate the GPS? I hate having to turn my toggle on every time I flip into Maps, but stupid shit like Facebook loves to flip it on briefly while open, and my battery life is abysmal as-is, so I keep GPS toggled off until I need it, then turn it off after.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I just got a Nexus S 4G after my Evo Shift died. I'm instantly in need of a couple replacement apps. HTC had much nicer looking calendar and clock widgets, any good free ones I should download? Also, the music player on my Evo could cut out parts of the song to make a ringtone, is there a free music player I can download that replicates that functionality?

Also, my Evo could synch with my Facebook so all of my friends pictures were up to date. I'm pretty sure that my Nexus can't because of boring legal reasons. True?

Any other random tips would be nice. For instance, how do I make typing on a screen not a pain?

I suggest Transparent weather Clock. It's free and I love the look-

Doopliss

Is there something that will let me whitelist/blacklist what apps can activate the GPS? I hate having to turn my toggle on every time I flip into Maps, but stupid shit like Facebook loves to flip it on briefly while open, and my battery life is abysmal as-is, so I keep GPS toggled off until I need it, then turn it off after.
I believe there's a root-only app which lets you manage individual permissions given to other apps. You could probably use it to revoke facebook's location permission.

Hey my android brethren, silly question. Is there any way for me to forward texts from my phone to my tablet? Like make it so my native text app on my phone just sends texts to my separate " textme" app number.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not too up on some aspects of Android yet. Thanks!
there are several apps for that, Tablet Talk is one

dunno about dedicated music players, but Ringdroid is designed just to cut music files to make ringtones.

LBE Security Manager

3phemeral

I'm using Pulse, but I can't seem to make its widget update regularly.

Isn't that what it's supposed to do?

The widget has that super tiny refresh button. You would think it auto updates, but I don't think it does. I only ever recall it updating after a reboot or a launcher refresh.

Speevy

Banned
The widget has that super tiny refresh button. You would think it auto updates, but I don't think it does. I only ever recall it updating after a reboot or a launcher refresh.

Thanks. I might choose another one if that's the case. Any suggestions? (for gaming news)

3phemeral

Thanks. I might choose another one if that's the case. Any suggestions? (for gaming news)

Sorry, I use Pulse myself and have it set to refresh on max. I used to use the widgets, but because I have Pulse running notifications, I usually click on that when it pops up instead. Once there, I just navigate from within the app.

I initially liked the idea of their widgets, but I find it's mostly useless. The "large" 3-panel-story one on my tf101 is super tiny and impossible to read, you can't swipe stories left or right - you have to press a tiny arrow button to check the next story in the queue, and the full-page widget only displays one story (you can't scroll through stories within a category), with most the widget being just a useless picture and a short title blurb.

Not sure what other news aggregation app you can use as I've tried Flipboard and didn't like the flashy, time-consuming action of flippng through practically everything. Here's a flip animation to see the next group of stories! Here's a flip animation to see the next page of this article! I don't know if there's a setting to change it, but I just didn't care for the default option.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Such a shame nobody I know uses it.

Trick for that is to start sharing stuff there. People get notified, people get interested, people use it.

I have gotten a couple dozen people I know to use it regularly, including friends and my parents who were amazed by the ease of sharing photos with the combination of auto-upload and share to circles.

It needs a grassroots effort, but its doable and certainly more enjoyable than Facebook, which seems to be turning into a cesspit.

fulsome

Just joined the Android group!

With the Nexus 4, is there a way to hide the Google Search bar? I can't believe how much space it is taking up!

moojito

With the Nexus 4, is there a way to hide the Google Search bar? I can't believe how much space it is taking up!

I don't know if it's just on my phone, but you can press and hold on it, then a bin appears at the bottom and you drag it there to get rid of it.

Hieberrr

Apex Launcher or Nova launcher. I prefer Apex even though it can't resize picture frames. Otherwise they are the same, 1:1.

jokkir

In Nova Launcher, is there anyway to change the top left icon in the app drawer to the Play Store link and not the overflow icon?

Top Bottom