• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Hieberrr

Have you tried it compared to Feedly?
Much better than Feedly. Feedly is literally just an RSS reader, so if your feed provides snippets of articles, that's all you're getting. With Currents, you get full articles (unless you add your own RSS feeds).

My phone creeped me out today. I received a phone call and when I picked that up, my foobar on my computer automatically paused. When the call ended, it unpaused.

The only way I control foobar from my phone is foobarcon and that wasn't running. I can't seem to figure out what other app could have done this.

VanWinkle

Can you import your google reader feed into it? Want to try it but I need my feed from GR.

I am honestly not sure since I don't use Google Reader. I know it syncs with your Google account, but to what extent, I'm not sure.

I get a dark grey font on black background for the story headlines, making it nearly impossible to read them. Is there a way to change that?

I'm actually baffled by this. Can you post a screenshot?

Threi

notag
Submarino Conversível;45485631 said:
Solid Explorer is out of Beta

Now Paid
I know i shouldnt be mad because the dev put in a lot of work into it, 100% deserves the money considering this is easily the best file manager on android...

But still...dammit :p

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm actually baffled by this. Can you post a screenshot?

0Wqfl.png

It looks darker on the phone itself.

Davidion

Whats your opinions on Swiftkey flow - (the Swype alternative) so far Gaf?

Seems pretty solid. Swype is good but its prediction is terrible - SK-F seems much much better.

Interaction seems nice, but the aim to push prediction pisses me the hell off. No, swipes are not always accurate, and no, predicting my next word does not have higher priority than getting the last one right. This is an especially irritating dealbreaker since the rest of the experience seems pretty good, if not flat out better than Swype.

Actually, the swiping seems to auto-disable in certain text boxes, like market search bar and contact search. This is really annoying as well

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Are you sure that's updated? It's bizarre because mine looks completely different, and not just the inverse colors.

For some reason my Currents app wasn't showing up in the My Apps section of the play store, so yeah, I guess it wasn't getting updated. I was on 1.5.1. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and now it is all pretty. Strange issue.

VanWinkle

For some reason my Currents app wasn't showing up in the My Apps section of the play store, so yeah, I guess it wasn't getting updated. I was on 1.5.1. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and now it is all pretty. Strange issue.

Very, but glad to hear it's resolved!

tino

Banned
My phone creeped me out today. I received a phone call and when I picked that up, my foobar on my computer automatically paused. When the call ended, it unpaused.

The only way I control foobar from my phone is foobarcon and that wasn't running. I can't seem to figure out what other app could have done this.

The call was from inside the house.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I am enjoying Currents, but is there a way to view the latest updates from all my subscriptions on the same screen? I can only view subscriptions one at a time. It would also be nice if I can tell which subscriptions have updates from the index.

Threi

notag
Solid Explorer is now a paid app. Any good replacements for it?
Well as always with android, it depends on what you want out of it but there are always a TON of alternatives. For the whole package though I still think Solid Explorer is still the best. ES File explorer is very good as well if you dont mind it essentially being a gingerbread app in all aspects (I keep it around for it's ability to back up apps, I don't like using titanium backup).

Replicant

So I just got a free Tablet for staying with my provider. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (16GB Wifi + 3G). It's not bad but as an iOS user, I'm not used to all of the extra options I now have so I guess I'll be watching this thread from here on. Also is there a way to make it faster without rooting it? At the moment in Australia, Galaxy Tab 2 is still on Ice Cream Sandwich though. I hope Jelly Bean will solve that but I have no idea when the update will arrive. I do like that the battery lasts for aaaages even with me tinkering, downloading content, reading stuff, watching movies, etc.

I am enjoying Currents, but is there a way to view the latest updates from all my subscriptions on the same screen? I can only view subscriptions one at a time. It would also be nice if I can tell which subscriptions have updates from the index.

I like Currents too but I wish there is a way for me to hide/delete sections that I have no interest of (ie. Science or Business). Does deleting all source from that section will effectively delete the section? I also want to re-arrange the sections as I see fit. Putting a section above or below the others. Also, at the moment gaming and movies are combined into "Entertainment" section. Whereas I want to be able to separate them.

sca2511

I like Currents too but I wish there is a way for me to hide/delete sections that I have no interest of (ie. Science or Business). Does deleting all source from that section will effectively delete the section? I also want to re-arrange the sections as I see fit. Putting a section above or below the others. Also, at the moment gaming and movies are combined into "Entertainment" section. Whereas I want to be able to separate them.

From what I remember, deleting the sources will delete the category/section. Not sure about the re-organization, but I do really like the new Currents.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Any recommendation which app to go for in regards to twitter?

I was using the regular twitter app but it doesn't seem to update my feed unless I do it manually. :(

I may try out plume.

Lol late comment but twitter API is so shit that it limits requests (don't know if they use something else for their app). Was working on my pass time app and hit their request limit which was annoying.

Hieberrr

d[-_-]b;45503700 said:
Lol late comment but twitter API is so shit that it limits requests (don't know if they use something else for their app). Was working on my pass time app and hit their request limit which was annoying.
They are allowed to request more from Twitter aren't they?

is there a program that will let you do a mass cache delete on all my applications? Every time I try to update my apps I always get insufficient storage and I hate going through all my apps to delete the cache so i can re-download the updates...Grrr

is there a program that will let you do a mass cache delete on all my applications? Every time I try to update my apps I always get insufficient storage and I hate going through all my apps to delete the cache so i can re-download the updates...Grrr

i believe you would need root for that... or a custom recovery.

mannerbot

Can't you just go to Settings -> Storage -> Cached data?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes you can, but you have to add them one by one. It'll show up under Feeds.

That's so stupid, and is what's keeping me from switching from Google Reader to Currents. Since I read my feeds both on my computer and my phone that seamless integration is important to me. Being able to import the feeds one by one isn't good enough, I want full Reader sync.

RdN

Guys, I need an app to stream video from my PC to my phone. The more formats supported, the best.

What do you recommend?

THRILLH0

Banned
How do I end a sentence with a word other than the auto correct suggestion with SwiftKey and SwiftKey flow? If I type out a word then select my punctuation it selects the auto correct but if I manually tap the word I want to avoid the auto correct it inserts a space. If I then backspace and insert my punctuation it auto corrects again!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to switch launchers entirely, because most that I've tried are pretty choppy.

Also that's incompatible with the Nexus 7.

Top Bottom