• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

jokkir

You need to have WiFi on if you want to use Google Now, but don't want to enable GPS all the time.

GPS only turns on whenever an app needs it. It won't drain battery unless you keep Maps or something on. And since Google Now only checks periodically, it isn't on all the time.

freshair

is there an app that displays the sms message that just arrived on the lock screen?

Only if you use widget locker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker&hl=en) and then put a notification widget such as Missed It! (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.igecelabs.android.MissedIt) on the lockscreen.

56343dde-5068-fac9.jpg

But if you want something like notifications + sms preview like iOS, then you can use Widgetlocker + Executive Assitant (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist.ad)

A bit cumbersome, but there's no other way I don't think.

Or you can use something like GoLocker, which I also think has support for sms/phone notifications: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jiubang.goscreenlock

(depends on the theme)

darkwing

Only if you use widget locker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker&hl=en) and then put a notification widget such as Missed It! (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.igecelabs.android.MissedIt) on the lockscreen.

But if you want something like notifications + sms preview like iOS, then you can use Widgetlocker + Executive Assitant (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist.ad)

A bit cumbersome, but there's no other way I don't think.

Or you can use something like GoLocker, which I also think has support for sms/phone notifications: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jiubang.goscreenlock

(depends on the theme)

Thanks oh boy, this is really cumbersome

So I have a Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2 on Sprint) and the Wifi/3/4G are always turned off to save battery.

Whenever the above is the case, messages with attachments will forever say "Downloading Message" but will never download. And there is no Download now button next to the pending text like on other Android devices, and long holding on the pending message does nothing. Is there an app that can refresh media messages so they download properly once Wifi/3/4G is turned on?

Hope the above made sense, and thanks guys!

So I have a Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2 on Sprint) and the Wifi/3/4G are always turned off to save battery.

Whenever the above is the case, messages with attachments will forever say "Downloading Message" but will never download. And there is no Download now button next to the pending text like on other Android devices, and long holding on the pending message does nothing. Is there an app that can refresh media messages so they download properly once Wifi/3/4G is turned on?

Hope the above made sense, and thanks guys!
Try using a different SMS app, but like Go SMS or Handcent

I've been requested to make to make a flashcard maker for some little kids. Parent/student/teacher gaf any suggestions on things to add? Here is what it looks like so far. From left to right: Card view, Card deck listing, card creation screen. Android 2.1+

Can an app make an Android device take advantage of an access point? I have one in my room to extend my wifi so I use the same network. The Android settings for wifi are barebones and I had to do some tricks on my PC to make it work.

Cr0wn0

I've been requested to make to make a flashcard maker for some little kids. Parent/student/teacher gaf any suggestions on things to add? Here is what it looks like so far. From left to right: Card view, Card deck listing, card creation screen. Android 2.1+

That looks great! I would suggest adding in some of the online flashcard sites like quizlet and flashcard exchange. I much prefer making my flashcards on flashcard exchange and then just downloading whatever I need. Make it so you dont have to press a checkmark/X, I usually just like to flip through. Random option is usually a good idea also.

That looks great! I would suggest adding in some of the online flashcard sites like quizlet and flashcard exchange. I much prefer making my flashcards on flashcard exchange and then just downloading whatever I need. Make it so you dont have to press a checkmark/X, I usually just like to flip through. Random option is usually a good idea also.
Yeah clicking the x or check mark is optional. The idea is to skip things you know if you prefer.

Hieberrr

In Card View, maybe allow the user to swipe up on the card to reveal in the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the screen (on a second layer underneath the card) the answer or whatever they want to put there.

In Card View, maybe allow the user to swipe up on the card to reveal in the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the screen (on a second layer underneath the card) the answer or whatever they want to put there.
Hm neat idea. Currently you just click anywhere in the card area and it will reveal the answer.

Cipherr

Damn.... thats an amazing idea for an app man. Hope you get to make it work on tablets. Seems like it would be great for children on tablets with the larger screens.

Hieberrr

App Suggestion time!

I was looking for a nice simple and good podcast app for Android and a few users have suggested: Volksempfänger

I gave it a try and IT. IS. BEAUTIFUL.

It does everything I want including auto download, refreshes, etc... So before you buy a podcast app, give this a try. You won't be disappointed (plus it's only in alpha right now :p).

Get it here

App Suggestion time!

I was looking for a nice simple and good podcast app for Android and a few users have suggested: Volksempfänger

It does everything I want including auto download, refreshes, etc... So before you buy a podcast app, give this a try. You won't be disappointed (plus it's only in alpha right now :p).

Get it here
It's good, but I wish it had a maximum number of episodes to keep at a time.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
App Suggestion time!

Get it here

Widget?

Cr0wn0

Picked up ds battery save pro. Already has made a huge difference in battery life. I'll post a metric tomorrow since I didn't start fresh. Last 12 hours with light use only lost about 8%

Melchiah

Seems like the last Facebook update screwed up with Xperia's Timescape app, and it can't access FB anymore. According to Sony's support forum they're still trying to figure it out.

http://gamerzandwwe.blogspot.fi/2012/12/new-facebook-for-android-causing.html
Sony Xperia Support said:
Re: Unable to use Facebook with Timescape
This is most likely caused by the update from Facebook. We are looking in to it right now to see if there's anything we can do from our end to prevent it. Hopefully this will be solved soon. I'll get back to you if I get any new information.

Damn.... thats an amazing idea for an app man. Hope you get to make it work on tablets. Seems like it would be great for children on tablets with the larger screens.

Well I posted to the market a couple of minutes ago. I figure it works well enough and I just want to some feedback and such. The link is not showing up yet. I'll post a link back here when it does so maybe some people can test it out. I'm hoping someone with a nexus 7 here can tell me how it looks/works on it. Should work fine anything Android 2.1 and up. I was supposed to have one but I received a broken one so had to send it back lol. Hopefully it scales well enough.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Maybe a stupid question but can you download songs from your iTunes onto your Android? And play them with an app (iTunes itself?)

I haven't used it in a while, since I've moved to stuff like Spotify and Rdio almost exclusively now, but I used to use DoubleTwist. I was quite happy with it. For one, I was able to wirelessly sync years before the iOS crowd could do so.

I emailed the Press creator:

Very pretty app, reminds me of the best Google Reader app anywhere (Reeder on iOS). One thing I feel is missing is an unread count 1x1 widget, I would like that. Also the ability to sort feeds by website when in the "all subscriptions" view. And how about automatically syncing feeds when opening the app. Other than that, amazing high quality app. Thanks!

He Replied back quick with:

Hi!

A widget is definitely coming up. Right now our top three features are: (1) navigation between articles when reading, (2) background syncing, and (3) widget. So stay tuned for that.

And about sorting by websites, I have one question for you on that. If we were to do that, it would remove the ability to "Mark Older" feeds as read. Would that be a trade-off you would be alright with?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I replied back with I could live with that.

Ocho

I also emailed the developer and he responded quickly:

me said:
Hello. After a couple minutes of use, I've decided the app is amazing, however there's a little issue I have with the app: When sharing to twitter, the app only shares the link, no title. I find this kind of frustrating and hopefully you can somehow fix this in the future, since I can't easily share a link. Looking forward to the future versions.

Nice work!

dev said:
Hi Jorge!

We (myself and the other developer) just discussed this on the phone and it should be very easy to do. You are now on the project plan for the next release :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Cool stuff. The app, with further development, can become the best.

Slizz

ESPN Scorecenter got updated today and they completely re-did the UI and everything. It is sooooo much better than it was before.

bonesquad

ESPN Scorecenter got updated today and they completely re-did the UI and everything. It is sooooo much better than it was before.

I deleted ESPN because their mobile site was so much better, but earlier today I saw an update on my iPhone (use it for the notifications). The new version is so much better, but I didn't see any update on android...

WTF? It says the new version is incompatible with Nexus 7. Why???

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I deleted ESPN because their mobile site was so much better, but earlier today I saw an update on my iPhone (use it for the notifications). The new version is so much better, but I didn't see any update on android...

WTF? It says the new version is incompatible with Nexus 7. Why???

Probably the same idiotic reason the ESPN College Football app is not compatible with the Nexus 7 either.

Is there a way to force an app to install on the memory card, rather than the phone?

I have a Galaxy Ace, and ony have a few apps that I actively use, but almost everything seems to want to be on the phone only (move to memory card button is greyed out). With only 200MB of storage on the phone, there's only about 19MB left and I'm getting sick of seeing notifications that something can't update because there's not enough space left.

Alternatively, are there any settings I can change to help free up space? I have Facebook and Google Music, which are quite large, but the 5 or 6 other apps are all no larger than about 6MB or so. What else could be using up all the space, and how can I make the phone use my memory card instead (8GB memory card with under 2GB of music and pictures from the gallery).

This is annoying the piss out of me!

JonnyBrad

Is there a way to force an app to install on the memory card, rather than the phone?

I have a Galaxy Ace, and ony have a few apps that I actively use, but almost everything seems to want to be on the phone only (move to memory card button is greyed out). With only 200MB of storage on the phone, there's only about 19MB left and I'm getting sick of seeing notifications that something can't update because there's not enough space left.

Alternatively, are there any settings I can change to help free up space? I have Facebook and Google Music, which are quite large, but the 5 or 6 other apps are all no larger than about 6MB or so. What else could be using up all the space, and how can I make the phone use my memory card instead (8GB memory card with under 2GB of music and pictures from the gallery).

This is annoying the piss out of me!

You can use apps2sd to move stuff after the fact. But there is no way to change the default install. Some apps can't be moved (if they have widgets)

This is the reason Google have been moving away from the memory card model on their phones.

You can use apps2sd to move stuff after the fact. But there is no way to change the default install. Some apps can't be moved (if they have widgets)

This is the reason Google have been moving away from the memory card model on their phones.

Will Apps2SD tell me if something uses widgets and refuse to move it, or will it move anything regardless?

Also, is there any way for me to see what's using all the space? I know I can't delete any of the pre-installed apps (Fick off Shazam I'll never use you!) but even they can't be eating all this storage.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It's like every Android third-party apps recently are either making their apps interface working for tablets or revamping their app interface to follow the Holo guideline. It's amazing.

Top Bottom