• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

It's like every Android third-party apps recently are either making their apps interface working for tablets or revamping their app interface to follow the Holo guideline. It's amazing.

It's Android app 3.0. The platform is taking a huge leap forward.

ScOULaris

It's like every Android third-party apps recently are either making their apps interface working for tablets or revamping their app interface to follow the Holo guideline. It's amazing.

Yeah, this is a very promising trend. I hope it continues from here on out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That's what happens when the a device like the Nexus 7 comes along and starts to push over a million units per month. Plus it got good press, and everyone seems to really like the device. Creates some buzz and developers notice.

ballin'

SwiftKey 3.1 Changelog
← General Information
3.1 change log:

New Berry theme
New languages: Armenian, Azerbaijani, Georgian, Hindi, Hinglish, Irish, Macedonian, Spanish (Latin America) and Tagalog
Split keyboard for normal-sized devices
Improved language pack downloads
Improvements in key layouts on some keyboards
Fixes for some force close issues
http://support.swiftkey.net/knowledgebase/articles/148618-swiftkey-3-1-changelog

That's what happens when the a device like the Nexus 7 comes along and starts to push over a million units per month. Plus it got good press, and everyone seems to really like the device. Creates some buzz and developers notice.

indeed.

developers have to *want to* update their apps on their own.

one reason for that is to meet customer demand.

ElDiablo90x

Neo Member
Does anyone know a good offline image viewer/manga reader app? I have some manga saved to my computer and I'd love to read it on my phone. Every time I try to move the images to my phone, the order of the images get messed up.

reKon

Banned
Finally Flipboard for my touchpad! Other than one strange graphical glitch, it's been running great. Sometimes pictures haven't been loading, but I saw Flipboard respond to one of the reviews saying that it's because they are experiencing heavy traffic from the Android tablets and that things will improve. I think I'll be using more of Flipboard on the tablet and Currents on my GNex.

womp

Does anyone know a good offline image viewer/manga reader app? I have some manga saved to my computer and I'd love to read it on my phone. Every time I try to move the images to my phone, the order of the images get messed up.

Take the images, compress them into a RAR or ZIP and rename them .cbr or .cbz accordingly and as was mentioned, just open them as one compressed file per 'issue' in Perfect Viewer.

Cipherr

Hooooooooooooly shit, I just remembered something....

Fucking Carbon...

Does annnnnnyone give a shit about it anymore? Lol, now that Falcon Pro is out and about I completely forgot about Carbon man...

Did it ever release?

SumGamer

Anyone know a good weather app with beautiful widget> Customization is a plus. Using Beautiful Widget now but it only support 4x1. HD Widget seems to have some trouble with Nexus 10 as it keep crashing when I try to pick location.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hooooooooooooly shit, I just remembered something....

Fucking Carbon...

Does annnnnnyone give a shit about it anymore? Lol, now that Falcon Pro is out and about I completely forgot about Carbon man...

Did it ever release?

Nope. And I certainly stopped caring about it, too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So how's Press? I'm quite happy with gReader but Press looks a bit more nicely designed.

Yeah, any impressions? Looks nice. And how's the offline reading support?

Exuro

Probably the wrong place to ask but how would one get out of factory mode on an android tablet? Parents had to send one in for repair and got this back. Can't use the lock screen and theres a weird calculator looking app called factory mode on it.

Pctx

Banned
Why doesn't flipboard integrate with Google RSS feeds or am I missing something here? Press is nice but its no Feedly.

Ocho

Press is good. Press is beautiful, in fact. Their font choices, how it handles transitions, is carefully designed. But Press is currently in version 1.0. Features are missing. You can't swipe between articles, you must to back to the listing and choose other article. However, you can quickly mark as read if you skim a feed list.

I can say it's the first app that can truly compete against Reeder (iOS) in terms of design. I've emailed them a couple of times to give my feedback in some matter, and they've responded promptly and seem to be excited with continuos development.

However, in the age of Feedly, I feel I've made the jump to the 'magazine' style look. It's simply a pleasure to swipe between feeds.

But I have Press installed and awaiting updates. Today I alternated between Feedly and Press for further comparison.

zbeeb

The Google Search app on my original Incredible running Jellybean CM10 is SO SLOW.

Is there a quicker Google search app?

Go into settings and untick all the search sources you don't need (I only have chrome checked for example), the speed improvement is quite large..

Gaaraz

Why are there no decent messaging apps for Android? Argh :( GoSMS is probably the best I've found so far, but damn, everything else I've used has been poor

Quite funny that one of the main reasons I wanted to switch from iOS is because they didn't lock down things like this, yet it still offers a far superior experience

Toki767

Why are there no decent messaging apps for Android? Argh :( GoSMS is probably the best I've found so far, but damn, everything else I've used has been poor

Quite funny that one of the main reasons I wanted to switch from iOS is because they didn't lock down things like this, yet it still offers a far superior experience

I prefer Handcent over GoSMS, but yeah, it's basically those two and Chomp when it comes to SMS apps. Surprised there aren't more viable options.

so the Archos Video Player is now up for android 4.0 devices.

It does nothing what other Players dont but does offer a better looking UI. TV/Moviesheets looks great.

Typical Archos though, ask you to pay extra for AC3 audio codec plugin.

Archos have been doing this since the good old PMP days.

Thought they may have stopped that by now. A kind chap has put up all the codecs plugin for free..

Gaaraz

Thanks Toki, I think I need to give Handcent another try! Chomp was a huge disappointment for me, it's so far behind BiteSMS it's unreal, which is a real shame considering Android is a far more open platform, the app is much easier to download (no need for jailbreak) etc

Are the Feedly revs working on a full article view for Android similar to the desktop?

I hate how several of my feeds include just a few sentences before I'm forced to jump into the in app browser or Chrome.

Ocho

Are the Feedly revs working on a full article view for Android similar to the desktop?

I hate how several of my feeds include just a few sentences before I'm forced to jump into the in app browser or Chrome.

I was under the impression websites decide how much content they show in feeds, not Feedly (therefore forcing you to visit their site, get a hit, and watch ads).

Kalren

Will Apps2SD tell me if something uses widgets and refuse to move it, or will it move anything regardless?

Also, is there any way for me to see what's using all the space? I know I can't delete any of the pre-installed apps (Fick off Shazam I'll never use you!) but even they can't be eating all this storage.

I used this app in the past. Link2SD.

What I liked about it was that everything worked. It works by creating Symbolic Links. BUT it takes some work to set up. Other programs like apps2SD might be a good intern solution.

If you are planning to keep your phone for a while then it might be worth using this. My previous phone was a LG Optimus T with 200 MB of app memory. I ran out quickly and tried using different App2sd programs to fix the issue. Nothing was even close to what Link2SD accomplished, even widgets worked.

Good luck.

I was under the impression websites decide how much content they show in feeds, not Feedly (therefore forcing you to visit their site, get a hit, and watch ads).

Correct.

I'd even settle for an option to load article with "clutter" removed by default. As is, I'm constantly bouncing back and forth between Pocket and Feedly.

ElDiablo90x

Neo Member
Managed to figure out how to read manga without converting. Just used Mango, works really well despite the ads. Can't really find the premium version on play store though.

I'm looking to put some sort of weather widget but not sure how to do that. Can anyone recommend a minimalistic weather app? I live in the UK in that means anything. Don't mind paying if it's really worth it.

bonesquad

Correct.

I'd even settle for an option to load article with "clutter" removed by default. As is, I'm constantly bouncing back and forth between Pocket and Feedly.

After you click on 'visit website' the Chrome button at top changes into an eraser to do that. You have to wait for the whole page to load, but that's less annoying than jumping between apps. My biggest problem with Flipbook is that it doesn't even have a built in browser as far as I can tell so you always have to switch around. I thought there was some app that did all this automatically though, but maybe not.

What is the best Twitter app? I miss Tweetbot on my old iPhone.

Echofon for me at least, since it has a read tweet sync features cross iOS, Mac, PC and Android, so no matter the device if you use the echo client you start reading from your last unread tweet. For me it's a pretty important feature and made the choice easy.

It's also a pretty client.

Fatalah

Go into settings and untick all the search sources you don't need (I only have chrome checked for example), the speed improvement is quite large..

Already tried this, slightly better, but still slow. Any good alternative search bar widgets?

Zeppu

Legit question. Why don't people who need offline RSS functionality just get your feeds to push directly to pocket?

Top Bottom